AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Use of Venom Defender with Denali

This is probably a question for Grant or Caelin.

I have ordered a Denali 2000/T for use with my McIntosh MC402. At the moment, a Venom Defender is plugged into the same wall receptacle that feeds the amp. This is a dedicated circuit just for the MC402.

Should the Defender be retired with the installation of the Denali? I wonder most about the surge protection these two devices offer and how these may interact. Connected at the main service panel is already a type 1 surge protection device offering 100kA per phase, so I'm guessing protection wise, this would be overkill.

Cable wise, to and from the Denali will be two Zitron Anacondas.

I'm just wondering about any ill effects or benefits that might result from leaving it place.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIantosh View Post
This is probably a question for Grant or Caelin.

I have ordered a Denali 2000/T for use with my McIntosh MC402. At the moment, a Venom Defender is plugged into the same wall receptacle that feeds the amp. This is a dedicated circuit just for the MC402.

Should the Defender be retired with the installation of the Denali? I wonder most about the surge protection these two devices offer and how these may interact. Connected at the main service panel is already a type 1 surge protection device offering 100kA per phase, so I'm guessing protection wise, this would be overkill.

Cable wise, to and from the Denali will be two Zitron Anacondas.

I'm just wondering about any ill effects or benefits that might result from leaving it place.
Hi,

With surge protection at the panel and surge-module protection as part of the
2000T design, the Defender would be redundant in that application. The 2000T offers amazing performance, far beyond what a Defender could offer.

I don't believe there is any harm being done with the Defender in-parallel, however there is no benefit that I have heard when applying Defenders to the same line as a Triton v2, Typhon and certainly not the Denali models. You already have two great stages of protection in-line. If it makes you feel more secure to have the Defender as part of the circuit, it certainly is doing no harm. Based on our own testing, neither is it adding a true benefit in terms of performance or protection based on your other layers of more robust protection.

I hope this is of some help. Feel free to write us or call if we can be of any further service.

Best regards,

Grant
Old 10-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Grant,

Thank you. This is helpful. I will almost certainly remove the Defender upon installation of the Denali, if for nothing but to guage the contribution of each device on its own. My concern was more that if curiosity got the best of me whether trying both in parallel would be ill-advised. The other option of course is to offer it for sale or use it in parallel with my Talos which feeds my other gear. Not sure which route I'll take just yet. We'll see. Thanks again for the feedback.