AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 04-03-2016, 10:36 AM

Default Soulution 710 with Sigma HC

Using a Soulution 710 with an Alpha HC and very happy with the results. Also tried a King Cobra V1i, but much preferred that on digital. Curious if a Sigma HC would fit on the Soulution 710 as the Alpha HC is an extremely tight fit already. Has anyone tried?

Any other recommendations?
Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 PM

I have tried several power cables on my 710 and none of them made any difference I could hear. The Axxis rep suggested I forget it and enjoy. So I have. The last tried was a Nordost Valhalla.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car commander View Post
I have tried several power cables on my 710 and none of them made any difference I could hear. The Axxis rep suggested I forget it and enjoy. So I have. The last tried was a Nordost Valhalla.
Although possibly not directly applicable to your case, disconnecting the MIT ZIII power cords on the Soulution 701 monos from the MIT conditioners, and connecting them directly into the wall, made a significant improvement in the sound quality of my system.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:06 PM

I didn't know you had the 701's. Could be their current requirements were greater than the conditioner could handle. I can't imagine a more resolving system than yours.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 AM

Adding any intermediary box with outlets, wire and an IEC in front of a high draw amplifier will introduce added contact-resistance. This is most often audible and measurable no matter how carefully designed the power-distributor product is. Most amplifier manufacturer's recommend against using power conditioning of any kind for this reason. That, and the fact many traditional power conditioners contain a high degree of reactance, either inductive or capacitive, which can be at odds with the conditioning elements already built into the power supplies of amps or other electronics. We measure and design products to possess an absolute minimum of reactance and contact-resistance so there will be a consistent result across systems and with high-draw amps, but even so, its never wrong to go direct with a high-quality power cord and in many cases, that is best performance option.

Best regards,

Grant
Old 04-05-2016, 10:04 AM

Thank you for that great reply.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the 710 does seem to work best plugged directly into the wall.

It sounds as though a SIGMA HC may not be a significant upgrade to the Soulution 710 over the Alpha HC, assuming the longer CopperCONN connector of the SIGMA would fit. The 710 has an over the top design and build, so that may be paying off here.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM

Normally, the better the electrical set up (dedicated lines, same-phase electrical, over-rated breakers, equi-distant wiring if multiple lines); the better component power supplies are, the more obvious the difference power cords will make.

Sigma HC is more than subtly better than Alpha HC. I'd recommend a comparison before making a decision. Our Chile distributor represents Solution and has mentioned how sensitive the amps are to power cords and power-distribution differences. Every system is different of course, but I've enough experience with customers who own Solution to encourage a trial, as I would with Ayre, Moon, ARC, Mac or other major market electronics we have a great deal of experience with these past years.

Best regards,

Grant
Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Thank you for the info, Grant.

Yes, I have dedicated, equal-length, lines with over-rated breakers, etc.

The Alpha HC is a very tight fit on the 710, do you know if the SIGMA HC would fit?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Are you referring to the IEC end, or the barrel of the connector? Send a pic to grant@shunyata.com . I'll have a look and pass along to production.

Regards,

Grant