AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-13-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Triton v2 & Typhon in the house

About three weeks ago, I received a Triton v2 and set it up on a dedicated 20 amp line. Preamp, amp, & DAC plugged into it and grounding straps for each piece of equipment as well. Shunyata Anaconda PCs all around.

The unit made such a positive difference in the sound that I ordered a Typhon within a few days after getting the Triton set up. The Typhon arrived about a week later.

I've been running the units since getting them; I'd estimate that there is about 200 hrs on them by now.

All I can say is wow.

I'll spare the usual audiophile review vocabulary: blacker & quieter background, increased micro-dynamics, better articulation of each instrument, air and space around the performers, an increase in detail, deeper soundstage, less ability to localize speakers, tighter bass, less harshness in the treble, etc.

All of those are true and in a big way.

But what I find most striking about the Triton and Typhon can be summed up in a few words: coherence, presence, & musicality.

Coherence: none of the various instruments and performers stands out, unless the recording warrants it. They all just sound natural and convincing playing together…weaving a tapestry of sorts.

Presence: voices now sound more human, more like they are in the room, just more natural. Instruments, well, sound more like the instruments they are.

Musicality: never have I heard my system sound more musical and convey so much emotion in the music. No listening fatigue at all.

I'm a big, big fan of Shunyata gear and I expected a big jump in performance with the Triton and Typhon. I'm happy to say that my expectations were greatly exceeded!

Highly, highly recommended.

PS Now, these units are expensive, but the changes to my system easily exceeded upgrading an amp, preamp, or DAC.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 PM

Nice!
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 PM

Congratulations. In regard to the Shunyata gear, your setup is close to mine.

---------------------------------------------
Lumin S1
Sony XA-5400ES SACD
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:13 PM

Wow! You make me want to upgrade to the v2. I have been procrastinating as to upgrade my triton to the v2 version or not. My local dealer does not have one to try and i am very happy with my triton and 4 typhon... but maybe the triton v2 would bring me even further...
Old 09-17-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Wow! You make me want to upgrade to the v2. I have been procrastinating as to upgrade my triton to the v2 version or not. My local dealer does not have one to try and i am very happy with my triton and 4 typhon... but maybe the triton v2 would bring me even further...
Upgrade now. There is no comparison. It is a non trivial improvement in sound.

--------------------------------------------

Lumin S1
Sony XA5400ES SACD
Magico S5 speakers

Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 PM

I have made the purchase today of a Triton V2 in black. I won't have it for a while as it was just shipped. I've been running a combination of Hydra AV and Typhon. I added the Typhon when one came my way in black.

In terms of allocating capital, one might more naturally have started with a Triton V1 but that's not the way the cookie crumbled for me in terms of availability. So I started with the Hyrda AV and added the Typhon to that. That, by the way, is a killer combo. But I've never had a Triton.

At any rate, just chiming in here as I have been dormant for quite some while. I can hardly imagine an improvement over what I have been using but we'll see.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 12-15-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:57 AM

Wow fabulous.Congrats man
Old 12-15-2016, 11:10 AM

Congratulations. I have a Hydra AV in my HT, but only the TV is plugged into it. I am debating whether to have it upgraded to a v2, or purchase a two port Denali to replace it. The rest of the HT is plugged into a Triton v2.

Lumin S1
Sony XA5400ES SACD
Magico S5 speakers

Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Congratulations. I have a Hydra AV in my HT, but only the TV is plugged into it. I am debating whether to have it upgraded to a v2, or purchase a two port Denali to replace it. The rest of the HT is plugged into a Triton v2.

Lumin S1
Sony XA5400ES SACD
Magico S5 speakers

Three 20 amp circuits.
You had a Triton V1 before the V2, right? In your experience, was the Triton V1 better than the Hydra AV? I really like the way the Hydra AV sits with the outlets facing up.

Separately, I'm trying to recall if I have ever read a review of the new Denali versus the Hydra top of the line offerings. I have read reviews of both but I don't recall seeing a straight-up comparison. I do recall reading that it is not appropriate to mix and match them; that they are two different approaches. Hence, I bought the Triton V2 to go with my Typhon rather than stepping in to the Denali line. I'd be curious what you think.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 12-15-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Medwardo, your experiences parallel mine when I went from a Shunyata Hydra 8 to a Triton. It was definitely a component-level updgrade...and all the attributes you describe I experienced as well, though I am sure the magnitude of improvement you observed is greater.

The thing that is interesting about Shunyata gear that I've learned to understand over the years is...it is not what it DOES for your system, it was your system DOES NOT DO ANYMORE that represents the improvement/benefit. This is the basis for all the sonic, pschyoacoustic, and perceptual improvements you have so eloquently described.

It reminds me, interestingly enough, of when I would put a premium aftermarket shock on my sport bikes. People would ask, "what does it do for the bike?" and I would answer, "its what the bike DOESN'T do that is the improvement. Rather than porpoising, wallowing, shimmying, bouncing, yaw, etc., it...just handles."

I think the term that best represents the improvements Shunyata products bring is they impart a notable sense of "listening ease" to the musical presentation.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-15-2016 at 02:39 PM.