AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 01-05-2019, 02:37 AM

Default New problem w. N100H

Anyone ever have an issue with the usb output on the N100H? I was listening tonight with it plugged into the K-01xs and all has been fine but all of a sudden the sound stopped and the usb lock was gone. Now the display of the k-01xs just flashes usb like nothing is plugged in. I plugged in my windows laptop and it immediately locks with the k-01xs and works fine. I put in a ticket with Aurender but I’ve not ever had much luck with them. This little unit has been quite a pain but it does sound good.

Appreciate any input.

George
Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Mine works well with my Mcintosh D1100
Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Shut it down, power it off for 5-10 minutes and restart. See if that helps
Old 01-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I agree. Power down the N100H with a long press on the front panel power button, then once shut down turn off the power switch on the rear. Give it a couple of minutes then turn the power switch on the rear back on and let the N100H reboot. Then press the power button on the front panel. Once rebooted things should return to normal.

Something else to consider is the quality of your USB cable and its length. There was a time when I was using a five meter generic USB cable, nothing special. I had intermittent drop out issues where I would lose my signal to the DAC. Once I went to a premium grade USB cable at a length of three meters the problem was completely solved.

Aurender's customer service has been excellent for me. I had a couple network issues with IP addresses not being recognized. Both times Aurender remote accessed my N10 and solved the issue in short order. Your issue may or may not be with the N100H. I would consider the USB cable as a first point of contention.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-05-2019, 12:59 PM

This does not sound quite like your issue.

Mine has locked up several times and will not respond to power off instructions either with my finger or the app.

Requires a hard power-down with the switch on the rear of the unit, count 30 seconds, then a power up.

Then it checks the hardrive (and usually locks at 44% for what seems like several minutes, then hits 100%), I forget the words displayed, runs through the start-up process and then works fine until next time.

It is in my bedroom headphone system, so does not get played all that often,which increases my frustration.

I have only seen this once with the X100L, a few days ago when I was replacing my fire alarms, which required powering the whole house down. I always shut the power to the unit off at the back first before any manual power interruption, so no explanation there.

I think sometime last year there was a thread about a different (frustrating) issue with this particular model; I do not recall other models described as having any issues, except recently with my X100L.

If the sound from spinning discs was not so fantastic I would opt for a N10 (power supply and internal parts are said to be a vast step beyond the "USB only" players) in my Main system and relegate the X100H to my bedroom headphone system; I have heard from some that unit with a first class digital coaxial cable (which can play up to 1x DSD; I guess you keep the USB plugged in for 2x DSD and greater resolution) rivals the disc side when used with my SACD player. My library of CD and SACD discs contains most of the "digital" music I will ever listen to and much of that is also in HiRez on the Aurender hard drives for convenience, not necessarily critical listening, and I have Tidal on the X100L.

Even with all that, I love the app and the sound, so I just grin and bear it as long as it does not brick.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Something else to consider is power interruptions, even momentary, that can cause the music servers to reboot with having had a proper shut down. This can cause operating system file issues. I have both my N100H in the living room system and the N10 in the studio system on backup power supplies. This way the servers never experience a power lose from those pesky momentary power glitches that happen, or from long term power outages because the backup power supplies allow me time to properly shut down the music servers per the manufacturer's instructions. If you are operating your Aurender music server without backup power, you are asking for trouble in my opinion.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-05-2019, 03:24 PM

So I have a wireworld starlight platinum 2m usb cable which works great with my laptop and the Esoteric. I also have my N100H on a battery backup so it doesn’t ever go down with power outages. I came upstairs this morning and it started working again. Didn’t do anything other than press play. Don’t know if Aurender support did anything or not? FWIW I did do the reboot procedure Dan outlined last night and it didn’t help at that time. Weird.

Spoke too soon. Changed albums and dropped usb output again. Now the Esoteric just flashes usb on the front. Plugged in my windows laptop and all works immediately. Very strange ... that said I have a D-02x showing up hopefully Monday so I can try the same setup with that Dac to rule out any issues with the usb receiver in the K-01xs.

George

Last edited by gadawg; 01-05-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:32 PM

I had a very similar problem. Try inserting your USB cable into one of the other ports that are labeled input. Aurender advises me they all provide output regardless of how they are labeled. It worked for me as a temporary fix.

The actual problem was due to a feature that was made available in a certain OS upgrade. I believe it had to do with streaming from Spotify to the aurender, but I’m not positive. I had enabled that feature, but it was buggy and aurender subsequently removed the option from the user interface in another OS update, but they left the buggy code in place. Aurender support was able to remotely access my server and fully disable that feature, and I have not had any problems since.

Best of luck!
Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM

I think my Esoteric K-01 would flash USB until the song actually started via the app by hitting the play button.

I upgraded that model and the new one locks before playing a song, as long as there was a song in the queue when it was last powered down.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnau View Post
I had a very similar problem. Try inserting your USB cable into one of the other ports that are labeled input. Aurender advises me they all provide output regardless of how they are labeled. It worked for me as a temporary fix.

The actual problem was due to a feature that was made available in a certain OS upgrade. I believe it had to do with streaming from Spotify to the aurender, but I’m not positive. I had enabled that feature, but it was buggy and aurender subsequently removed the option from the user interface in another OS update, but they left the buggy code in place. Aurender support was able to remotely access my server and fully disable that feature, and I have not had any problems since.

Best of luck!
I will definitely give that a try!

Thanks

George