AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Music Provides Joy

I do not think you will be disappointed. What music do you like to use to demo? Cheers

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 AM

We used some Jennifer Warnes, Steely Dan, Nick Drake and an M&K Album that was used during the Model 7's demo with some great triangle and other interesting sound effects during the song that appeared to be hanging in space. It was a nice variety.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

It's hard to beat the price of the Treo's. They're a masterpiece!!

Last edited by JBT; 12-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Shocking how close they came to the 7's. Naturally better low end on the 7's with the built in subs. A bit more top end with the carbon tweeter, but really close considering the cost difference. The law of diminishing returns revealed!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
Shocking how close they came to the 7's. Naturally better low end on the 7's with the built in subs. A bit more top end with the carbon tweeter, but really close considering the cost difference. The law of diminishing returns revealed!
Love my Treos. Had 3As before & 2Cs before that. All were great value but the Treos are in another league IMO. My wife & I preferred them over the Quatros after several sessions at the dealer. They seem more dynamic. I know, same drivers sans powered sub but we both thought the same thing.

Merry Christmas,
Wes
Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 AM

My dealer said he disagrees with Richard about the Treo's vs Quattro's He would rather use the 2Wq's with the Treo's and place them in the room where they match best rather than being tied to the speakers position with the sub's in the Quattro's. I always wondered why I never saw the Quattro's on the floor. Treo's and 5A Carbons with the 2Wq's always being available.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Default Facts about Vandersteen Speakers

Some facts about Vandersteen Speakers

Vandersteen was one of the first in the industry to start using FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) Computer Analyzer, originally developed for aerospace industry

Cost cutting in cabinets while making audible performance top priority

Careful selection of materials for all drivers, critical damping in all areas in drivers and cabinets

Patented "reflection-free" midrange drivers, although this is probably only used in model 3A and up....

All crossovers are hand soldered and tested to make sure there's less than 0.1dB deviation to the reference

Drivers are matched to within 0.1dB tolerance

Crossovers are hand tweaked and speakers measured in anechoic chamber to make sure they perform as well as the reference

Baffles are as small as possible to reduce/eliminate diffraction => improves imaging

FFT is employed to find optimal size, shape and thickness of different parts of the enclosure

+++ probably much more that I don't know about.....
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM

It is remarkable that the 2Ce Sig ii's get the same anechoic matching tests that the 5A Carbons and 7's get. The attention that even an affordable pair of speakers receives is really great!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:58 PM

Longbow, how much difference in sound that the 3A Sig makes compare to our 2CE Sig II?
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 PM

I think the current term would be "Moar" of everything. It is physically larger (Too big for my room). You get more low end extension and the current version has the new woven mid range vs the previous polypropylene. If you have the room for it then it is a great speaker for the money. I prefer it to the 3.7 Maggies. Basically, for me, it was a question of matching the speaker to the room size.

I am saving the cash now for an upgrade to Treo's which are hands down better than both, but physically smaller than the 3A's so they would work in my room.

My Dealer currently has the 3A Sig's at his home for the main speakers. Considering he can have the 5A Carbon's that tells you they are a strong performer. No real downside here. Nice problem to have several great choices!