AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 06-03-2013, 02:37 AM

Looks and I am sure sounds great.... Congratulations!!! Here's to years of enjoyment.

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.

Last edited by SRT-10 Viper; 06-04-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 AM

AWESOME !
Enjoy them in great health !
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Ice Man

Congrats! They look stunning.

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:44 AM

Looks gorgeous. I love the color to.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Very nice system. Congratulations.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Life is beautiful

Wow!
Stunning...
Huge congrats!
Have you done some room treatment?
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 PM

XLF are stunning!!!!! Congrats

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
Thank you everyone for the kindness! It's really rewarding to listen to these leviathans in a nice big room. With ninety nine percent room knowledge the room correction on the MEN220 only hits seven percent in either focus position.

And yes. A pair of Thors Hammer subwoofers powered by 1.2k's is very much on my mind but I'd want to hear it first and that means asking (begging?) to hear Bill W's.
Congrats on the XLF! Toga on the Magico forum just received a Q7. I wonder how an XLF compares to a Q7? Regarding the Thors Hammer I have some experience. If you are considering two of them a MC601 is all you could ever need for each one. I have a Maxx3/Thor combo run in an active configuration and I have never clipped the amp using a 601. The XLF is more efficient than a Maxx3. Also if you are going to run two you get an additional 3 dB of output.

There are a several things to consider when using a Thor with the really big Wilsons (X-2 or XLF). First, the active configuration I run with my Maxxes may not be ideal for an XLF or X-2. I would have to hear the woofers if I owned an XLF or an X-2, meaning I would run the Thors as a supplement (passive configuration) and run the XLF or X-2 full range. Unless you are totally into the sub 20 Hz range though you will definitely get more bass with the Thors, will it be better bass above 30 Hz? Even with the LP of the Watch Controller set to 30Hz the Thor will definitely affect the 30-50 Hz bass range and this effect may not be beneficial with an XLF or X-2. The blended bass above 30 Hz may not be as good as XLF or X-2 bass alone.

Second, I don't know how many folks know this fact but the Wilson Watch Controller does not allow for a stereo configuration. It takes both preamp channels (L,R) and sums to mono so that you have exactly the same signal percolating through dual Thors. The WC outputs the same mono signal through its L,R outputs. If I were going with dual Thors I might consider another electronic crossover for that reason; one that offered me stereo outputs. I would definitely want stereo bass. Now you may say that sub 30 Hz bass does not localize but that is simply not the truth. I would want stereo bass even below 30 Hz. Ideally I would want a stereo HP/LP configuration that offered me a 25Hz crossover point both for HP and LP. The WC offers neither. Sonically, it is an absolutely superb piece of equipment but I feel its design is flawed for the really big Wilsons. It is much more suitable for the more modest Maxx3 where an active 30Hz LP/HP crossover point is ideal. Also with the Thor located in the horizontal position between my Maxxes, the sub 30 Hz bass localization effect is a relatively minor issue

Last edited by Charles; 06-05-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Charles, thank you for a host of excellent information. I would be hesitant to make any changes at least until the XLFs are a little more broken in. As they continue to suck current their sound continues to evolve.

Also I had no idea about the controller!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Wow, what a wonderful set up.

I am sure you love them.

By the way, any chance to try front port to compare with rear firing config yet?

Your Silver Kimber is very interesting, no luck, they are not avail in my country due low demand of
expensive Kimber here. People buy 12TC and Hero, but no Select. May be poor marketing of dealer.

Congrats again on your very best speaker.

Toga