AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Old 11-07-2019, 07:38 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is all very exciting to me. Also, Wilson has created a modified spike that will work just as well and save me about 1.5". They just sent me a pic. They feel very comfortable with the regular spike working in my room but why not use the shorter modification? Jim's pic of the XVX is very encouraging. It does not look gargantuan like the WAMM. I'm very encouraged. I'm taking some risk but it looks like its paying off. No guts, no glory and all those cliches.

Charles
I know you may have already mentioned it, but how close to the ceiling are the tops of the XVXs gonna reach? Was it that close of a call??

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I know you may have already mentioned it, but how close to the ceiling are the tops of the XVXs gonna reach? Was it that close of a call??

- Buck
Minimum ceiling clearance 6" as opposed to Alex 11". The spike will set directly on my hardwood. I've called a hardwood expert. He has extensive experience with hardwood floors. It is easy to repair this type of indentation. Width between the tweeters a little over 8' as opposed to Alexx 9'. Width between the wall and the tweeter 3.5'. The clearance over the super tweeter will be about 8". I may take a 3/4 inch drill bit and drill down into the hardwood about 3/8 inch and let the spike set in the hole. This would provide an effective spike height of about .25"-.5" and satisfy all Wilson specs as far as spiking. I'll worry about the minimal hardwood repair when I sell the house.

Last edited by Charles; 11-08-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 AM

I note that in the pic supplied by Jim that the spike tip sets directly on the carpet on the floor. I came very close to buying an XLF. But I never loved the XLF. There was no visceral or emotional attraction. I did not think the speaker had enough new technology. Before Daryl I always felt Wilson was a "cabinet" loudspeaker company. The woofers and Ti tweeter were 20 years old. Great components I grant you but there's been a lot of improvements over the course of 20 years. Daryl is really innovating. Every driver in the XVX is new. I am especially captivated by the new mids. Wilson build the world's best cabinets, IMO. No other manufacturer comes close.

It will be interesting to see what he does with the XLF platform. He is extremely creative. Right now at this point in audio history Wilson is at the heart of innovation when it comes to loudspeakers. This time alignment system is amazing and significantly more compact than with the WAMM. 99.99 of people will not consider a WAMM. Many people will consider an XVX. It's the absolutely largest speaker my room can take. It's amazing it will fit into my room.

I have noted that in the most recent Wilson full product line brochure the XLF is absent. I don't believe this is a mistake.

Last edited by Charles; 11-08-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Wow! That is one beautiful color. This speaker is, by far, the most visually appealing speaker that Wilson has made. It was stunning in person when I saw it in a static display at RMAF.

That room has got to be divine. What frequency are they using for the crossover for the subs? I would imagine pretty low? Maybe 30-35?
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
Wow! That is one beautiful color. This speaker is, by far, the most visually appealing speaker that Wilson has made. It was stunning in person when I saw it in a static display at RMAF.

That room has got to be divine. What frequency are they using for the crossover for the subs? I would imagine pretty low? Maybe 30-35?
The Wilson ActixXO Stereo Controller is set to 30Hz at 18dB per octave. The Chronosonic XVX is run full range.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
The Wilson ActixXO Stereo Controller is set to 30Hz at 18dB per octave. The Chronosonic XVX is run full range.
There is not an external electronic active crossover that has ever been made that cannot easily be heard. When I got my Thor I read about the tremendous effort Wilson put into their WC HP filter. So I employed it for about 6-8 months absolutely certain that not running the Maxx3 full range was the way to go. I did not follow Wilson's recommendation to run the Maxx3 full range. I thought the system sounded great.

Then for some reason, I hooked everything up the way it was supposed to be. Everything sounded so much better, bass, extremely low base, mids, and treble. You don't know what your missing, until you hear it.

It is Wilson's ability to perform this uncanny feat of subwoofer integration with the main run full range that separates them bass wise from all other manufacturers, IMO. Yes their subs are extremely expensive. I have 63,800.00 in my system including my amp, Thor, speaker cable, power cords and conditioner, IC's, and WC. Mine is "cheap" compared to that setup but it sounds great. When I get my XVX installed I will continue to have a very cost effective very well thought system with absolutely zero wasted money.

I have always believed that noise floor is the key to resolution and resolution is the key to just about everything else. I use 2 AQ Niagara 5000's and all Dragon pc's on my 1.25KW's driving my Alexx; I use a Niagara 5000 to my 1.25KW and an AQ Dragon and Hurricane, Wolf, and Redwood complete the subwoofer system. I begin at my lightpole and whole house filtration. I use a Transguard Tg 60. (4) dedicated 20 amp lines no. 10 wire. I can turn every input up to 100% volume (tuner input excepted) with amps on and place my ear right next to the speaker: zero hum and zero hiss; absolute silence. I doubt even in that superb installation they can do this.

One other thing. If Momentums are used on those Subsonics, while they are adequate in terms of watts, they are being stressed. Wilson subs need a lot of watts.

Last edited by Charles; 11-08-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There is not an external electronic active crossover that has ever been made that cannot easily be heard. When I got my Thor I read about the tremendous effort Wilson put into their WC HP filter. So I employed it for about 6-8 months absolutely certain that not running the Maxx3 full range was the way to go. I did not follow Wilson's recommendation to run the Maxx3 full range. I thought the system sounded great.

Then for some reason, I hooked everything up the way it was supposed to be. Everything sounded so much better, bass, extremely low base, mids, and treble. You don't know what your missing, until you hear it.

It is Wilson's ability to perform this uncanny feat of subwoofer integration with the main run full range that separates them bass wise from all other manufacturers, IMO. Yes their subs are extremely expensive. I have 63,800.00 in my system including my amp, Thor, speaker cable, power cords and conditioner, IC's, and WC. Mine is "cheap" compared to that setup but it sounds great. When I get my XVX installed I will continue to have a very cost effective very well thought system with absolutely zero wasted money.

I have always believed that noise floor is the key to resolution and resolution is the key to just about everything else. I use 2 AQ Niagara 5000's and all Dragon pc's on my 1.25KW's driving my Alexx; I use a Niagara 5000 to my 1.25KW and an AQ Dragon and Hurricane, Wolf, and Redwood complete the subwoofer system. I begin at my lightpole and whole house filtration. I use a Transguard Tg 60. (4) dedicated 20 amp lines no. 10 wire. I can turn every input up to 100% volume (tuner input excepted) with amps on and place my ear right next to the speaker: zero hum and zero hiss; absolute silence. I doubt even in that superb installation they can do this.

One other thing. If Momentums are used on those Subsonics, while they are adequate in terms of watts, they are being stressed. Wilson subs need a lot of watts.

Charles
I can guarantee you that “lots of watts” does not mean a amp will control a speaker. When I A/B’d the Momentum vs my 1.2ks on my MBL 111f’s I was so shocked by how much better the. Momentum’s controlled the MBL’s that I had to double check I hadn’t been listening to them with the 1.2s out is phase.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Charles
I can guarantee you that “lots of watts” does not mean a amp will control a speaker. When I A/B’d the Momentum vs my 1.2ks on my MBL 111f’s I was so shocked by how much better the. Momentum’s controlled the MBL’s that I had to double check I hadn’t been listening to them with the 1.2s out is phase.
Jim, I understand that. I tried to use a 601 with my Thor. The difference between my 1.25KW from a 601 was striking. I don't know very much about MBL. I believe you made a post about the incompatibility of MBL with Mac on the Mac forum. But with my Alexx/Thor/1.25KW gear I have the best bass I have ever heard. It was striking how much the Wolf IC, Redwood cable, Niagara 5000 and Dragon power cords improved my base of the Thor. My bass is articulate and quick in the extreme with excellent pitch differentiation and tremendous weight when appropriate. I can tell you that those subs need a lot of power. They are at least 2 db less sensitive than my Thor. 800 per channel is adequate but I would probably want Progressions if I had those subs which are much more powerful than Momentums. I wouldn't hesitate to run XVX's with Momentums. They are about as efficient as the Alexx and my Alexx never need over 120 watts. I have music the puts the needle on the 1.25 KW at 1000 watts. My 1.25KW does a magnificent job on my Thor. I wouldn't swap it for a Momentum.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx soon to updated to a Wilson Audio Specialties XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 11-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.