AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 07-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Default Psvane EL34PH Problems

I've had problems with my Woo WES headphone amp, which I use to drive my Stax 009 headphones. I ordered the WES originally with a 'matched quad' set of Shuguang Treasure 6CA7 tubes (with a one year warranty). After a few weeks of use, I was startled to hear scratching and crackling noises from my 009 headphones after firing up the WES. The WES has two power switches: the first one warms up the tube filaments and then after a minute the second power switch turns on the rest of the unit. I immediately shut down the WES and pulled the 6CA7 quad, replacing them with a JJ (Czech) EL34 quad set which came with the WES originally. I subsequently tested the 6CA7 quad with my Amplitrex 1000 tester and found one of the tubes had a high GAS reading.

Woo Audio replaced the 6CA7 quad with the EL34PH quad. I used the EL34PH quad for just under one month (28 days) and once again heard the dreaded scratching and crackling noises from my $5K 009 headphones. The JJ EL34 quad went back in and everything is back to normal. The Amplitrex 1000 showed two of the EL34PH tubes had very high gas readings (1000mA). When I first received the EL34PH quad, I tested them and the GAS readings ranged from 1.9mA to 4.8mA.

Woo Audio will exchange the two duff EL34PH tubes and I'll continue to use the JJ EL34 quad until the replacement EL34PH tubes arrive.

It's amazing the relatively inexpensive JJ EL34 quad set gives exemplary service while the fancy Shuguang/Psvane 'matched quads' wind up with one or two bad tubes after a few weeks of use. Note: the WES is only used a few hours/day.

I'm starting to wonder if matched means: "they're glass, they have the same number of pins, they have the same silkscreen words on them - yep - they're matched."

The ironic thing is the EL34PH quad finally makes the WES headphone amp 'sing' (when they work properly). The JJ EL34 quad give a 'meh' impression. I did try KT88s in the WES but found the quads I tried (Gold Lions and the stock McIntosh ones left over from my MC2301 amps), are too harsh and brutal compared to the EL34 sound.

Finally, I've been using two octets of Shuguang 'Treasure' KT88s (the 'black bottles') in my MC2301 amps for almost two years and they continue to give superb sound.

Tube audio is basically a crap shoot ...

Ken
Old 07-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Ken,

Very interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Your comments resonate in a special way too me.
Because before ordering the Holland Replica from Psvane, JC Verdier, who is known as one of the best tube expert in the world, told me that the best EL34 on the market today are the JJ because when JJ bought Tesla, they got the "secret" of how to pulverize the emissive material on the cathode and they are the only ones to do it correctly.
When I saw the prices of the JJ, I thought they were too cheap to be so good.
Once again, experts are experts and their words are sacred. People like me are just stupid ignorants.
I will listen more to the Masters as I will get older, if I have the chance to get older....

On a side note, I found a web site who compares the different EL34 available on the market today.
The best ones are the Tung Sol EL34B that EveAnna sent to me for my Snappers.
The second ones are the JJ.
I will post the link as soon as I find it again.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Here you go :

thetubestore.com/EL34-Tube-Review

The JJ are not precisely # 2 but they get very good scores....

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Last edited by jdandy; 07-05-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Active link to online non-sponser seller against forum rules.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM

I read actually that the JJ are not probably the most musical around. But they are very very reliable.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 AM

I've recently compared the Psvane EL34PH v Shuguang 6CA7 Tresure Premium v JJ on my BHSE (High end electrostatic headphone amp, rival to the WES) and posted results on a headphone forum.

Whilst I share the concerns re the Psvane's quality control, and am suspicous of both Psvane's and Shuguang's quad matching process, there was no denying that the Treasures did sound better than the JJs, and the PHs sounded better still. So overall, I'm glad I bought the PHs - but this will change quickly if they ever blow up on me.

Last edited by The Attorney; 07-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Attorney View Post
I've recently compared the Psvane EL34PH v Shuguang 6CA7 Tresure Premium v JJ on my BHSE (High end electrostatic headphone amp, rival to the WES) and posted results on a headphone forum.

Whilst I share the concerns re the Psvane's quality control, and am suspicous of both Psvane's and Shuguang's quad matching process, there was no denying that the Treasures did sound better than the JJs, and the PHs sounded better still. So overall, I'm glad I bought the PHs - but this will change quickly if they ever blow up on me.
Thanks a lot for your feed back !
Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 AM

After a few more comments received back on these EL34PH's, the consensus is even stronger that they are shockingly good on sound - but shockingly bad at quality control.

In my case, I've managed to break the centre guiding pin on taking a tube out (very tight fit), but it's still usable - others have had more serious issues and have returned them. What a shame, I was hoping these would be the real world answer to the ever dwindling supply of the classic NOS tubes.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Where are you guys ordering the PSVANE from? Grant Fidelity, another North Am-based web store, or from overseas?

Thx.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 AM

I got mine direct from China via ebay. Just as I did my Shuguang Treasures. In both cases, the transaction was faultless, but I've not tested the support/returns process.

If I lived in the US, I'd certainly consider Grant, who seem to have a very strong link with Psvane and Shuguang, and do claim to give the tubes an extra level of testing - at a price. The biggest shame is that an extra level of testing is even necessary in the first place - for such premium priced tubes.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:16 AM

I got my Psvanes from Grant and have been very happy with the 12AX7s. I got mine when they were initally offered by Grant.