AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
That depends on your set-up. My DAC and my sonicTransporter both connect to my network via Ethernet. No micro Rendu required.
Can't you also use the USB output of the sonicTransporter? Maybe not, since they say you need a MicroRendu or a ethernet capable DAC.

But it has USB right?

Confusing.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Unless I'm mistaken the sonicTransporter is a server and not a streamer. On their website they mention that you need to add a micro rendu.
The reason Jim doesn't need a separate streamer is that his DAC (dCS Rossini) is Roon Ready, which means it can receive the Roon streaming protocol (RAAT) via its ethernet input.

You mention PS Audio but I only see a PS Audio P5 in your signature, which I believe is a power unit. Do you have PS Audio digital product that you plan to use with Roon?

Soundserge
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Default Best setup for Roon

Assuming that you are at ease with tinkering and technology, for less than $100 you can put together a Raspberry Pi with a HifiBerry Digi Pro hat. You can then chose an OS for that set up (I am using dietpi). The HifiBerry hat has digital outputs that in my experience sounded much better than the USB from the Raspberry Pi. If your DAC has digital inputs (coaxial or optical) then that’s what I would connect to.
Roon has a 30 day free trial period. So for less than $100 plus some tinkering you will be able to tell if worth it.
Of course you can spend a lot more to buy a Roon endpoint that is already set up with no need for tinkering.

Last edited by nicoff; 11-20-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundserge View Post
The reason Jim doesn't need a separate streamer is that his DAC (dCS Rossini) is Roon Ready, which means it can receive the Roon streaming protocol (RAAT) via its ethernet input.

You mention PS Audio but I only see a PS Audio P5 in your signature, which I believe is a power unit. Do you have PS Audio digital product that you plan to use with Roon?

Soundserge
As mentioned I have the Directstream DAC which is in my signature.

I need a streamer or an NAA since I don't have the Bridge card on the Directstream (i.e. it cannot take ethernet connection). So I need a device to convert ethernet to USB.

The dCS has the NAA integrated within the DAC
Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Then why does Roon integrate with Tidal to do streaming? I am pretty sure it's one or the other...either you have a streamer or you have a computer with an app that is streaming.

Unless I'm missing something!
I think you're mistaking streaming service like Tidal with a streamer which is just an interface that feeds the digital input of the DAC and makes the interface between the NAS or Server and the DAC.

There is a lot of one box solution so it's not easy to compare everything and I'm lost myself.

Quote:
Can't you also use the USB output of the sonicTransporter? Maybe not, since they say you need a MicroRendu or a ethernet capable DAC.

But it has USB right?

Confusing.
It's what they mention on their website but I've never seen one nor tested it so I don't know.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I think you're mistaking streaming service like Tidal with a streamer which is just an interface that feeds the digital input of the DAC and makes the interface between the NAS or Server and the DAC.

There is a lot of one box solution so it's not easy to compare everything and I'm lost myself.

It's what they mention on their website but I've never seen one nor tested it so I don't know.
Yes, the term is being overloaded here. I see what you are saying now. I wouldn't use Rendu or streamer like that if I could help it...I'd use USB out of the server, whether it be Mac Mini or Intel NUC or whatever. I don't see what performance advantage is gained otherwise.

I would always take USB over optical or digital coax because USB can use the clock in the DAC, I believe the others clock the signal from the source. Unless you have a very good source like an Aurender with the OCXO clock, you are using the cheap computer clock.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
As mentioned I have the Directstream DAC which is in my signature.

I need a streamer or an NAA since I don't have the Bridge card on the Directstream (i.e. it cannot take ethernet connection). So I need a device to convert ethernet to USB.

The dCS has the NAA integrated within the DAC
Ahh... now I see it. I thought that was part of the Accuphase AD-20 DAC card somehow. Yes, you'll need an NAA. Best to check the Roon Partner devices matrix.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:38 PM

You can run Roon Core (the processing end of Roon which integrates with Tidal) on a PC, a Mac, a Roon Rock/NUC or similar. The integration and Digital Signal Processing happens here. It is know as the Roon Server.

Next step is how to connect to a DAC or the stereo system itself

It can be done via USB from your Roon Core or it can be done wirelessly through what is called a "Roon Ready" Endpoint Device.

"Roon Ready network players from our partners have Roon’s high-resolution streaming technology built right in.
Roon will discover them on your network, deliver the highest possible quality audio, and even allow volume control right from the Roon user interface"

You can find a list or Roon Ready network players/DACs here. https://roonlabs.com/partners.html
Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Best setup for Roon

Do you have an old Logitech streamer like a squeeze box Touch or Transporter hanging around?
That is a very easy way to start using Roon because by just clicking a button, Roon can make Logitech devices become Roon endpoints.
Then you can connect the Logitech device to your DAC.
I am using a Touch and a Transporter as well as a Raspberry Pi. All of them are Roon endpoints.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, the term is being overloaded here. I see what you are saying now. I wouldn't use Rendu or streamer like that if I could help it...I'd use USB out of the server, whether it be Mac Mini or Intel NUC or whatever. I don't see what performance advantage is gained otherwise.

I would always take USB over optical or digital coax because USB can use the clock in the DAC, I believe the others clock the signal from the source. Unless you have a very good source like an Aurender with the OCXO clock, you are using the cheap computer clock.
A Roon Ready Endpoint like the Rendu or many of the others listed will allow you to use the USB out to DAC if that is what is preferred. They may also have a choice of S/PDIF, etc... The choice is up to you and the equipment in use.

Audio devices must own the audio clock. Many other protocols get this wrong, including AirPlay. It's not possible for two clocks to agree perfectly. Letting the DAC control the pace of streaming removes the need for a clock-drift-compensation mechanism that is bound to increase cost, decrease sound quality, or both.

Roon RAAT information is here. It's been thoroughly thought through and the results are very impressive. Clocks are not an issue. https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT