AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman77 View Post
I joined the club too, replacing Bowers 804 Diamond, I'm waiting for shipment details from my home country. Bought everything unheard at a online bankruptcy auction....can't wait to hear them.
Hi Allman, I wanted to see if your shipment came in and how the Sabrina's compared to your 804s.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
They're the Titan Red, which I think is absolutely stunning!

My set up is Classe Sigma SSP driving the Sigma AMP5. My serious listening is with a Rega RP6 and Exact 2 cartridge and the Classe onboard phono card. Transparent Gen5 ultra cables. Turntable, cartridge and phono preamp will be my next upgrade.
Beautiful. Really like them in red. Wonder if you might benefit by moving the speakers forward so the sound is not being diffracted by the the furniture/rack?

Am speaker shopping and the Sabrina is on my list. Would have to save for another year, but want my next speaker to be my "last" speaker.

For an upgrade, you might start with the cartridge and then phono preamp. Bigger bang for the buck then the TT/TA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sabrinas.jpg (75.3 KB, 527 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 10-14-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Beautiful. Really like them in red. Wonder if you might benefit by moving the speakers forward so the sound is not being diffracted by the the furniture/rack?
Actually, I worked with my dealer for about 3 hours to position them. We were all pleasantly surprised how good they work so close to the wall.

Quote:
For an upgrade, you might start with the cartridge and then phono preamp. Bigger bang for the buck then the TT/TA.
Since my original post the entire front end has changed. I now have an AMG Giro TT with Benz Gullwing cartridge, running through an ARC Ref Phono 2SE phono preamp, ARC Ref 6 preamp, and D'Agostino Classic Stereo amp. All cabling is Transparent Gen5 Ultra.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:40 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Had my Yvettes on Stillpoint Ultras, read something here and went back to the standard spikes. Prefer the sound on the spikes. The front spikes are on a thick area pad/carpet the and back spikes on the bare tile floor. The speakers are therefore tilted up slightly in the front. Really like the effect on the sound. In another discussion here, a different but similar setup process was used by the folks who sell Focals. Their last setup step was to adjust the fore and aft rake a bit for good angle. It really works. This is the first time my speakers don't sound better when I lean forward. The tweeters are now aimed just above my ears. Clever to experiment with.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 10-24-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Actually, I worked with my dealer for about 3 hours to position them. We were all pleasantly surprised how good they work so close to the wall.
I think he was talking about the unit between them more than the proximity to the walls.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Hi Allman, I wanted to see if your shipment came in and how the Sabrina's compared to your 804s.
Hi Robd2,

Sry I missed your question.

I had the pleasure of listening to the Wilson and the Bowers side by side for a few weeks before the Bowers went to their new home. It is probably the biggest change i’ve witnessed, sounstage and just the joy of listening to music on the Wilson’s compared to the Bowers. Not fair given the price difference but of all the changes throughout the years this is the one.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:56 AM

I have a small room about 14' x 12'. I am considering these speakers. Do you think they will work in the small space or will overload it? I can position them 4' from the back wall and 2' from the side along the 12' side. My room is treated with 4 x GIK 244 panels in the corners as bass traps and 2 at the first reflection points. Additionally I have 4 vicoustic panels on the wall behind the speakers.
Cheers,
Sid
Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvee View Post
I have a small room about 14' x 12'. I am considering these speakers. Do you think they will work in the small space or will overload it? I can position them 4' from the back wall and 2' from the side along the 12' side. My room is treated with 4 x GIK 244 panels in the corners as bass traps and 2 at the first reflection points. Additionally I have 4 vicoustic panels on the wall behind the speakers.
Cheers,
Sid
Without seeing your room, I would suggest the following:
  1. Sabrinas are often used in rooms your size and smaller with great success.
  2. Speakers will likely be closer to the rear wall than 4'
  3. You will likely want to revisit the amount/placement of treatment

Lastly, depending on your time frame, there is a Sabrina Limited Edition Series of speakers available between now and year end. Colors are Porsche GT Silver, Black Kirsch, and Ferrari Blu Corsa. These Sabrinas include the Spike Diode from Yvette which improves performance and the look.

(Disclaimer: I work at Wilson Audio)
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Lastly, depending on your time frame, there is a Sabrina Limited Edition Series of speakers available between now and year end. Colors are Porsche GT Silver, Black Kirsch, and Ferrari Blu Corsa. These Sabrinas include the Spike Diode from Yvette which improves performance and the look.

I just ordered the Spike Diode for my Sabrina's. Price is only $200 for both speakers.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Without seeing your room, I would suggest the following:
  1. Sabrinas are often used in rooms your size and smaller with great success.
  2. Speakers will likely be closer to the rear wall than 4'
  3. You will likely want to revisit the amount/placement of treatment

Thank you kindly metaphacts. I am based in India, so I am working with the Indian dealer. Not sure if these limited editions will be offered here. Regarding point no.3 would I have to reduce the amount of treatment in my room, were I to get these speakers?
Cheers,
Sid