AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Retired

Thanks, nicoff. Was wondering about all of the various info you've touched on as my main reason for going slow. One of my primary concerns is the need to stand at the system to start/stop recording on each side of an LP so I don't end up with a long deadspace if I'm not standing there to stop everything and start/stop again on the next side.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-08-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
They added two key things (among other minor items);

1) added capability for ripping CDs via an external CD ROM.

2) added digital output functionality for external DAC via USB.

I love mine!

Mike

I love mine too! Using USB out to an Auralic Vega DAC. Sounds almost as good as my Aurender N100H to the Direcstream DAC. Also upgraded the HD to 2TB. Very simple upgrade. Took five minutes to do, but had to reload all music.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
But isn’t that what the HAP-Z1ES’s DoP (DSD over PCM) output is doing, converting DSD to PCM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
No. DoP packages DSD and the DAC processes the DoP as DSD. It isn’t converted to PCM

Ok I finally got a reply from Schiit and then did some reading to further understand DSD/DoP.

I initially thought that “DoP” was simply converting a DSD stream to a PCM stream, therefore the Gungnir should play it just fine since it’s NOT DSD (or so I thought). I now see the error in my thinking. DoP does in fact convert DSD to PCM, but then the data gets reassembled back to DSD in the supporting DAC.

Schiit DACs don’t support DSD natively or via DoP. Makes sense now.

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/wha...-dsd-over-pcm/
Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Ok I finally got a reply from Schiit and then did some reading to further understand DSD/DoP.

I initially thought that “DoP” was simply converting a DSD stream to a PCM stream, therefore the Gungnir should play it just fine since it’s NOT DSD (or so I thought). I now see the error in my thinking. DoP does in fact convert DSD to PCM, but then the data gets reassembled back to DSD in the supporting DAC.

Schiit DACs don’t support DSD natively or via DoP. Makes sense now.

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/wha...-dsd-over-pcm/
While DoP uses PCM frames to transmit properly encoded DSD data, it does not involve any conversion of the DSD data into PCM. It simply packs the DSD data into PCM frames which are then unpacked back into the original DSD data for conversion to analog by the DAC.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
While DoP uses PCM frames to transmit properly encoded DSD data, it does not involve any conversion of the DSD data into PCM. It simply packs the DSD data into PCM frames which are then unpacked back into the original DSD data for conversion to analog by the DAC.

Ah, thanks for the clarification Bill. It’s like the PCM stream is a Trojan Horse carrying the DSD.

IMG_8253.JPG
Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Retired

Has anyone run the Sony software on a ChromeBook?

Can music be downloaded from the Sony onto a USB thumb-drive and then played back through a USB DAC?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Sony HAP-Z1ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
....Can music be downloaded from the Sony onto a USB thumb-drive and then played back through a USB DAC?

Glenn,

<< CORRECTION >>
The answer to your second question is ‘YES’. While The Sony has a special hard drive format, it does allow you to copy from its hard drive to a Windows or iOS PC. You can then make your thumb drives.

But that shouldn’t be an issue as you WILL have at least two copies of the Sony hard drive in different buildings using IOS or Windows - RIGHT?

Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 12-21-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Craig is correct that the Sony internal drive is formatted differently (Linux I believe) but it does show up on your network via a Windows PC. You can then copy and paste files to or from it to other drives and the formatting is taken care of, I've done this and it works. You cannot simply insert a USB drive into the Sony's USB slot to copy files.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Racing Hoopties

Bill is correct! I just copied an album from a Sony to my Win 10 desktop and it played fine on JRiver. I will update my post to remove incorrect info.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 12-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Retired

So must go thru laptop, regardless. Then load the thumb-drive from the laptop in whatever format.

Is the same is true when using an external HD to back up the files on the Sony? Always need to go thru the laptop?