AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Russell,

Nope. He already has the 3.7i at his store and does not have the 20.7. I was in a hurry and did not have the opportunity to listen myself. But my dealer, whose opinion I really trust, and the gentleman who had just completed an audition said the improvement over the 3.7 was significant. Bass response was significantly improved and the transition from the midrange to the tweeter was much more seamless.

I'll listen for myself the next time I visit the dealer and report back on my findiings.

Best,
Ken
That is exactly how a reliable source described the difference when I met him at the High-End Show in Stockholm yesterday. The upgrade (something with the bass/mid panel) is already there in the 20.7. If he is right it has nothing to do with the X-over.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
According to my dealer, the bass is significantly improved. No further need for the DWM bass panels. Also a more seamless transition from midrange to tweeter, possibly due to changes in the crossover frequencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
That is exactly how a reliable source described the difference...
I'm going to say what perhaps many may be thinking: I don't believe a $500 upgrade is going to make that much of a difference. Keep in mind Wendell from Magnepan said the difference would be subtle (if even noticed by the listener).

I trust we all agree that my source is reliable regarding this topic.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell View Post
I'm going to say what perhaps many may be thinking: I don't believe a $500 upgrade is going to make that much of a difference. Keep in mind Wendell from Magnepan said the difference would be subtle (if even noticed by the listener).
As an owner of the 3.7 I hope you are right
Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Based on my experience with audiophile adjectives, logic, business, and Wendell's comments, I would say I'm very confident you can rest easy Sceptic.

By the way, I've heard your speakers (3.7's) numerous times - they're great speakers - always will be.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:08 PM

I owned the 3.7 for a year and I agree, they are outstanding speakers and a tremendous value. I still haven't had a chance to stop in at my dealer and audition the 3.7i but I promise I will the next time I'm there.

I was seriously considering upgrading to the 20.7 last year but I went with the Revel Salon 2 because they also sounded great, the spouse liked them better and I got a terrific deal. Hence my handle, PlanarSpeakerFan. Also owned Apogee Duetta Signatures for years.

Ken
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Money and wife aside, which speaker did you like better? I'm curious to hear your opinions of the RS2 vs 20.7.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 PM

Hi Russell,

It's hard to place one above the other, both are reference level speakers in my opinion, even at their price point. Each speaker has its own strong points.

The 20.7 excel with their huge soundstage, it's like a wall of sound is coming at you, tall, wide and deep. The lifelike quality of piano is the best I've heard. Vocals are liquid, organic and true to life. Bass is both tight and fast.

The Salon 2 is a great all-around speaker with no weak points. Very fast with tremendous dynamics and powerful deep reaching bass. The speaker is very neutral and transparent with the smoothest and most seamless treble I've heard. If you closed your eyes, you would think you were listening to a planar speaker. Its produces vocals as lifelike and holographic as the best planar speakers. I would never have considered a dynamic speaker until I heard them. I've since auditioned the Vandersteen 7 and they are in the same category with even a bigger soundstage than the Salon 2.

The bottom line is I could have been extremely happy with either speaker.

Best,
Ken
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Hi Russell, It's hard to place one above the other, both are reference level speakers in my opinion, even at their price point. Each speaker has its own strong points. The 20.7 excel with their huge soundstage, it's like a wall of sound is coming at you, tall, wide and deep. The lifelike quality of piano is the best I've heard. Vocals are liquid, organic and true to life. Bass is both tight and fast. The Salon 2 is a great all-around speaker with no weak points. Very fast with tremendous dynamics and powerful deep reaching bass. The speaker is very neutral and transparent with the smoothest and most seamless treble I've heard. If you closed your eyes, you would think you were listening to a planar speaker. Its produces vocals as lifelike and holographic as the best planar speakers. I would never have considered a dynamic speaker until I heard them. I've since auditioned the Vandersteen 7 and they are in the same category with even a bigger soundstage than the Salon 2. The bottom line is I could have been extremely happy with either speaker. Best, Ken
Great description, Ken. I've never heard the Salons. Now, I would love to.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-09-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Great description, Ken. I've never heard the Salons. Now, I would love to.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Thanks Carlos! The Salon 2 are terrific speakers for sure but I honestly don't think you're missing a thing with the 20.7. They are right there with them and in some ways better (soundstage and piano). I would consider the Vandersteen 7 a step up from both but at $52K they should be.

Best,
Ken
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks Carlos! The Salon 2 are terrific speakers for sure but I honestly don't think you're missing a thing with the 20.7. They are right there with them and in some ways better (soundstage and piano). I would consider the Vandersteen 7 a step up from both but at $52K they should be. Best, Ken
I have a buddy who has heard Vandy 7's and drooled over them for a while now. He also owned Revel Studio 2's and "Upgraded" to the 3.7's. He says that the Magnepans disappear better than the Studios ever did... Let's just say he told me he would probably not buy anything other Magnepan's unless the vandy 7's became about 30k cheaper. I would agree that your sitting pretty with the 20.7's