AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
For home defense and a South American dove hunt, I prefer the Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun and a handgun.
Benelli M1 entry gun here.

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES

Last edited by Masterlu; 06-20-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
I think the problem with this thread is its name. A number of folks have said, "Hey, this is the Shooting Sports Forum. It's not political". But the title of the thread is "The AR15: America's Best Defense Against Terror and Crime" which, together with the context of last week's mass murder with an AR15, makes this a highly inflammatory title/claim. Why push this claim and topic under the guise of sport? I don't see how you start a discussion of sport or a reasoned debate about guns today with that title.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
The thread title is the actual title of the video in post one. It is an "opinion", not an inflammatory title/claim. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether you are a supporter of guns for sport and self defense or not.

I fail to understand the significance of any firearm used in crime or an act of terror because the problem here is not the actual type of firearm used but the criminals and terrorists who use them to commit hideous crimes against people.

9/11 saw destruction beyond all human tolerance with a simple use of a box cutter to hijack a plane... We have witnessed anthrax in letters, bombs in packages, FBI building brought down by fertilizer, numerous stabbing murders in Israel on a daily basis, suicide bombers taking numerous lives all over the world, bombs going off in cars, airports, planes missing from the skies the list goes on and on...

Even if the AR15 is banned, there is no guarantee that a Ruger mini 14 or any of the other numerous semi automatic rifles, pistols, shotguns will not be used in the next one. Take away all guns from everyone and we are back to stabbing and blowing people up and hundreds of other sick and evil ways of taking innocent lives.

I'd like to believe that someday it will all stop but in reality I am afraid if will only get worse. So like many others are suggesting who are dealing with the issues on a daily basis, the only line of defense left is the people themselves. Whether you choose to take measures to protect yourself and your loved ones or rely on the police to be there for you is a personal choice and neither choice should be judged or considered "wrong".

Last edited by PHC1; 06-20-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Dan....I think everybody will agree with you on that,

The question is should the public have the right to use something like this for self-protection :

It is like saying every country should have the right to defend themselves with Atomic weapons, or have the right to buy atomic weapons without discrimination!

Attachment 46211
Sadly, that's what anti-gunners think an AR type rifle is.

Sadly, that's what some gun owners think an AR type rifle makes them.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Benelli M1 entry gun here.

Great Shotgun! In addition to the Benelli, my two 100lbs Labs are the best security I have. They recognize familiar sounds and ignore them but always alert me to something new. Truly are mans best friends!
Old 06-20-2016, 01:30 PM

As if foreshadowing, the Sheriff in the video warned that attacks within the gun free zone are likely to happen. Of course by Florida state laws, Pulse Bar was in fact a gun free zone.

It took 2 American servicemen to stop a terrorist on Paris train armed with an AK-47 in seconds. Over 300 people in a bar could not stop 1 terrorist... Instead of wasting so much time and political effort on which firearms to ban, only to be faced with the same acts of terror with yet another form of a firearm, if I was in charge I would be busy pushing forward laws that mandate trained armed security in any public place that holds more than 100 people at a time. I think the public deserves the same level of armed protection as the politicians do...
Old 06-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Dan....I think everybody will agree with you on that,

The question is should the public have the right to use something like this for self-protection :

It is like saying every country should have the right to defend themselves with Atomic weapons, or have the right to buy atomic weapons without discrimination!

Attachment 46211
Douglas.......That is way over the top and typical of the general public's indoctrination at the hands of a continuously hysterical media barrage from people who know little to nothing of what they speak. I know you are aware of your exaggeration but my point is valid, too.

The AR15 is a semi-automatic rifle. It has a single barrel and fires one round each time the trigger is pulled. It cannot fire in full automatic mode. It is not a machine gun. It fires the same way as all other semi automatic rifles and pistols, a single round is discharged with each trigger pull, yet each time the media reports on the AR15 it is called an automatic weapon. That is a complete lie, but since a large portion of the general public has no clue what the difference is between semi-auto and full auto, they are easily whipped into a frenzy of fear by the media reporting that these "military style weapons" are in the hands of civilians. The latest talking point to further demonize the AR15 is to call it a "weapon of war". That is ridiculous. Our military would be woefully handicapped and placed at serious risk for survival if the M16A2 and M4 carbine fully automatic rifles used in battle today were replaced with the semi-auto AR15. It is not a military weapon of war. Unfortunately for many, letting truth stand in the way of an agenda is completely unacceptable. Tell a lie enough times and many people will begin to think it is the truth.

I want to make it clear that I am as sick to my stomach as anyone over the massacres in Orlando, Sandy Hook, the church murders in Charleston, the Colorado theater shooting, the San Bernardino killings, and other places. These horrific crimes were unleased upon innocent people by deranged individuals. The suffering of victims and families is heartbreaking. I am not heartless and uncaring because I wish to defend myself and my family by whatever means is necessary. I feel a sense of grief whenever I see violent carnage against other human beings. I lock my doors at night not because I hate the people outside but because I love the people inside.

I am also at odds with the media's insatiable appetite for source material to fill their 24 hours a day broadcasts. I think these crimes are sensationalized, generate copycats, and memorialize criminals with the attention they lust for when they commit these crimes. The media, broadcast, print, and Internet, absolutely loves crime. It gives them hour after hour of material they broadcast without reservation with respect to how it may influence other criminals to action. They won't touch the notion of possibly being complicit in causing more violent events with the notoriety they provide 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Senseless murders happen daily. Just in the month of June 2016 through today there have been 44 murders in Chicago and the day isn't over yet. Year to date murders in Chicago for 2016 total 301, five times the tragic event in Orlando, and the year isn't half over yet. Where is the public outcry about that? I have to ask myself, why is the media silent about the failure of Chicago's extremely restrictive gun owner laws failing to protect and improve public safety in that city. The fifty lives lost in Orlando are no more important to their loved ones than the 44 lives lost so far this month in Chicago, yet not a peep is heard about that. I guess a few murders a day every day in a city where it is practically impossible to own a gun legally doesn't present the same impact for ratings as 50 murders in one day by a deranged terrorist.

I imagine if the shit hits the fan one day in this country with terrorists killing people in their homes, in the streets, in restaurants and malls, in their cars, or sports arenas around this country on a daily basis, there will be a lot of anti-gunners experiencing a rapid change of attitude. They will be the first to go running for safety to homes of people they know who are willing and prepared to protect themselves. I would rather be prepared and never need to defend myself than to surrender to the pitiful alternative of being a slaughtered lamb. If I ever die defending myself or my family, it won't be on my knees shivering like a coward or hiding in a closet with my cellphone. I pray we never see times such as those but current circumstances tend to make me think otherwise.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-20-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Well, this is in the Shooting Sports/Guns and Ammo forum, not the headphone section. - Buck
Did you miss Masterlu's warning post on the first page? That's what I was talking about. I guess he changed his mind.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Douglas.......That is way over the top and typical of the general public's indoctrination at the hands of a continuously hysterical media barrage from people who know little to nothing of what they speak. I know you are aware of your exaggeration but my point is valid, too.

The AR15 is a semi-automatic rifle. It has a single barrel and fires one round each time the trigger is pulled. It cannot fire in full automatic mode. It is not a machine gun. It fires the same way as all other semi automatic rifles and pistols, a single round is discharged with each trigger pull, yet each time the media reports on the AR15 it is called an automatic weapon. That is a complete lie, but since a large portion of the general public has no clue what the difference is between semi-auto and full auto, they are easily whipped into a frenzy of fear by the media reporting that these "military style weapons" are in the hands of civilians. The latest talking point to further demonize the AR15 is to call it a "weapon of war". That is ridiculous. Our military would be woefully handicapped and placed at serious risk for survival if the M16A2 and M4 carbine fully automatic rifles used in battle today were replaced with the semi-auto AR15. It is not a military weapon of war. Unfortunately for many, letting truth stand in the way of an agenda is completely unacceptable. Tell a lie enough times and many people will begin to think it is the truth.

I want to make it clear that I am as sick to my stomach as anyone over the massacre in Orlando, Sandy Hook, the church murders in Charleston, the San Bernardino killings, and other places. These horrific crimes were unleased upon innocent people by deranged individuals. The suffering of victims and families is heartbreaking. I am not heartless and uncaring because I wish to defend myself and my family by whatever means is necessary. I feel a sense of grief whenever I see violent carnage against other human beings. I lock my doors at night not because I hate the people outside but because I love the people inside.

I am also at odds with the media's insatiable appetite for source material to fill their 24 hours a day broadcasts. I think these crimes are sensationalized, generate copycats, and memorialize criminals with the attention they lust for when they commit these crimes. The media absolutely loves crime. It gives them hour after hour of material they broadcast without reservation with respect to how it may influence other criminals to action. They won't touch the notion of possibly being complicit in causing more violent events with the notoriety they provide 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Senseless murders happen daily. Just in the month of June 2016 through today there have been 44 murders in Chicago and the day isn't over yet. Year to date murders in Chicago for 2016 total 301, five times the tragic event in Orlando, and the year isn't half over yet. Where is the public outcry about that? I have to ask myself, why is the media silent about the failure of Chicago's extremely restrictive gun owner laws failing to protect and improve public safety in that city. The fifty lives lost in Orlando are no more important to their loved ones than the 44 lives lost so far this month in Chicago, yet not a peep is heard about that. I guess a few murders a day every day in a city where it is practically impossible to own a gun legally doesn't present the same impact for ratings as 50 murders in one day by a deranged terrorist.

I imagine if the shit hits the fan one day in this country with terrorists killing people in their homes, in the streets, in restaurants and malls, in their cars, or sports arenas around this country on a daily basis, there will be a lot of anti-gunners experiencing a rapid change of attitude. They will be the first to go running for safety to homes of people they know who are willing and prepared to protect themselves. I would rather be prepared and never need to defend myself than to surrender to the pitiful alternative of being a slaughtered lamb. If I ever die defending myself or my family, it won't be on my knees shivering like a coward or hiding in a closet with my cellphone. I pray we never see times such as those but current circumstances tend to make me think otherwise.
Great post Dan. The reason why media does not cover much of the Chicago and other disastrous cities for violent crime, robberies and murder committed with firearms is because they all know that there is nothing they can do about all the illegal, stolen, unregistered and dirty weapons that the street thugs use. Nothing. It is much easier to focus and create hype targeting the type of firearms that should be banned from places where they are legally purchased by law abiding citizens. All the full auto, high capacity, highly illegal firearms on the street will remain there.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

I want to make it clear that I am as sick to my stomach as anyone over the massacres in Orlando, Sandy Hook, the church murders in Charleston, the Colorado theater shooting, the San Bernardino killings, and other places. These horrific crimes were unleased upon innocent people by deranged individuals. The suffering of victims and families is heartbreaking. I am not heartless and uncaring because I wish to defend myself and my family by whatever means is necessary. I feel a sense of grief whenever I see violent carnage against other human beings. I lock my doors at night not because I hate the people outside but because I love the people inside.

I am also at odds with the media's insatiable appetite for source material to fill their 24 hours a day broadcasts. I think these crimes are sensationalized, generate copycats, and memorialize criminals with the attention they lust for when they commit these crimes. The media, broadcast, print, and Internet, absolutely loves crime. It gives them hour after hour of material they broadcast without reservation with respect to how it may influence other criminals to action. They won't touch the notion of possibly being complicit in causing more violent events with the notoriety they provide 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Dan....Great post Indeed. Yes, I did go a bit OTT with my comment, apologies for that. It so sad to see these senseless mass killing and I am not even American. Every country has their problems, and we have some serious crap in South Africa, however, these mass murders in the US are sickening, and it seems like nobody is trying to come up with a proper solution, not that it is easy!. The media has indeed got a lot to answer to and are fueling these madmen.

Interesting stats about Chicago.

Btw I visited friends in Chicago last year and totally fell in love with the city.

Last edited by Douglas; 06-20-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Dan,

My late step-father had a wonderful friend that was a strong anti-gunner. He was smart, PhD in Chemical Engineering, but he was brainwashed into thinking the AR was something that is wasn't. I couldn't begin to get through to him that everything he thought about the rifle was wrong.

So, I invited him over to my house for lunch and showed him my Ruger Mini 14, I also showed him what a .223 round looked like. He had fired rifles when he was younger and he had no problems with the rifle. I went into my safe and pulled out a stock for the Mini 14 that had a pistol grip and a telescopic stock.

I explained to him that if I put the stock with the pistol grip and telescopic stock on the rifle it would become an "Assault Rifle". I merely added cosmetic features to an existing rifle and it became an instrument of war. He still wouldn't believe me.

I then went to the internet and showed him information that determined how a semi-automatic rifle became an "Assault Rifle" and he still wouldn't believe me. I also showed him that in some states you only had to add one cosmetic feature to the rifle to make it evil.

Good man, smart man, former Navy man, brainwashed man. Bobblehead for my side of the isle.