AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjryan View Post
I'm actually thinking about an upgrade, too. I'm really waffling between the Sopra no.2, Sopra no. 3, and the SF Olympica III. I would also need to replace my center channel speaker, too. It's a really tough call.
I owned both the Sopra 2 and 3 for a brief period. I think the Sopra 2 was the best price/performance combination.
I loved the looks, the built quality, finish and especially the bass extension.
They cast a very wide and detailed sound stage, very easy speaker to place and once done, they just disappear.

That said, I found the beryllium tweeters didn't react well with my Krell SS amplifier. At 300wpc, the Krell's made the tweeter sound a bit harsh and i experienced fatigue after an hour or so.

I must stress this is my experience only. I have no doubt if i changed my amp, this would have solved the problem.

System matching, as we all know, is as important a consideration as any other when creating YOUR sound.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiezaffa View Post
I owned both the Sopra 2 and 3 for a brief period. I think the Sopra 2 was the best price/performance combination.
I loved the looks, the built quality, finish and especially the bass extension.
They cast a very wide and detailed sound stage, very easy speaker to place and once done, they just disappear.

That said, I found the beryllium tweeters didn't react well with my Krell SS amplifier. At 300wpc, the Krell's made the tweeter sound a bit harsh and i experienced fatigue after an hour or so.

I must stress this is my experience only. I have no doubt if i changed my amp, this would have solved the problem.

System matching, as we all know, is as important a consideration as any other when creating YOUR sound.
Thanks for the insight! The tweeter is my concern, too. I absolutely love the sound of them through all tube systems, but that is not the reality in my system.

I see you ended up with the Amati Futura from your signature. How do they compare to the no. 3, if I may ask.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjryan View Post
Thanks for the insight! The tweeter is my concern, too. I absolutely love the sound of them through all tube systems, but that is not the reality in my system.

I see you ended up with the Amati Futura from your signature. How do they compare to the no. 3, if I may ask.
The Krell was originally purchased - from Ivan - to marry with my Sonus Faber Cremona M's so I knew how well those two go together.

The Amati Futura's best the Sopra 2 and 3 in every way - imo - except one. Bass extension.
Focal has done an absolutely fantastic job in the bass department. I could feel the thump in my chest even at low volume.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
The Krell was originally purchased - from Ivan - to marry with my Sonus Faber Cremona M's so I knew how well those two go together.

The Amati Futura's best the Sopra 2 and 3 in every way - imo - except one. Bass extension.

Focal has done an absolutely fantastic job in the bass department. I could feel the thump in my chest even at low volume.

I remember feeling the thump in my chest when I auditioned the Focal 1038Be, the Sopra predecessor.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 01-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaresbluespirit View Post
Hello,
Some vintage Focal speakers designed between eighties ,nineties are amazing !
Raymond
Another Focal fan here (Aria 906 and then 1008Be II). Am hoping they will add a Kanta No.1 to their new line so I don't have to go for a pair of the Sopra No.1.

Raymond - always enjoy the castle in Blois. Especially the circular staircase. Lovely city.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-24-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
I remember feeling the thump in my chest when I auditioned the Focal 1038Be, the Sopra predecessor.
John - I see you currently own the Dali Epicon 6. I liked those speakers on paper but never heard them live.
How did they compare to the Focal's
Old 01-24-2018, 03:01 PM

I have the Sopra No. 3's. They are just fantastic when paired with Audio Research electronics (see my signature). This combination excels in the midrange, which is so important to the reproduction of classical music that I listen to, and in soundstaging. With good recordings, you feel as though you can almost reach out and touch the instruments or vocalists.

I find the beryllium tweeter is an absolute marvel, at least with tubed electronics. There is never a sense of a tweeter playing. You just hear an extraordinarily coherent presentation of music from top to bottom.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
John - I see you currently own the Dali Epicon 6. I liked those speakers on paper but never heard them live.

How did they compare to the Focal's

They are still in boxes... I was a bit carried away and updated my Signature too soon. Working on getting them installed soon. My audition of the Dali’s was at a dealer, audition of Focal’s at home. Fingers are crossed...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
They are still in boxes... I was a bit carried away and updated my Signature too soon. Working on getting them installed soon. My audition of the Dali’s was at a dealer, audition of Focal’s at home. Fingers are crossed...

Ok. Please keep me posted. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed
Old 01-25-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegt3 View Post
I have the Sopra No. 3's. They are just fantastic when paired with Audio Research electronics (see my signature). This combination excels in the midrange, which is so important to the reproduction of classical music that I listen to, and in soundstaging. With good recordings, you feel as though you can almost reach out and touch the instruments or vocalists.

I find the beryllium tweeter is an absolute marvel, at least with tubed electronics. There is never a sense of a tweeter playing. You just hear an extraordinarily coherent presentation of music from top to bottom.
I also find the tweeter in my Sopra No2's to be wonderful, IMO Focal's handle the midrange better than any other speaker I've auditioned. I drive mine with a McIntosh MC452 power amp, very smooth sounding, so I don't experience "listener fatigue", but when I was auditioning the 1038BEs it was driven by an 80wpc integrated (model ?), that made the speakers sound somewhat harsh.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling