AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 09-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comzee View Post
Ebay seller, said they were matched 105/105 on a Jackson 684s tester.
Here's a pic
Same seller has a 90/91 tested pair for $200.

Yea, I've only had them in for maybe 20 or so hours.
Also, does the ST shaped 6v6 apply over to these NOS 6550 regarding rectifier use?

I only ask because they crackle/pop in the first 5 minutes of amp power on.
I used a 274B which is directly heated, maybe not good for NOS?
I do not think they are NOS but used tubes that test excellent. Did you get them recently? What is the sellers id? Crackle pop? The ones had years ago made noise when powered up but it was like a ping/ring but subsided quickly.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 09-15-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
If it is just one of the tubes, then the noises should be coming out of just one channel / speaker.
If you missed it, the pops are coming from the tubes themselves, not audio. Audio is 100% clean even when tubes are popping on warm up.

It's not so much a pop, it's like someone lightly tapping the inside of the glass with a metal pin, that kind of sound.

Either way I'll keep them, nothing audibly out of the ordinary versus my other power tubes. If one chooses to fail oh well =/ I don't think a power tube going bad can harm the amp?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM

Some questions for Analog Addict:

What is the net overall (if any) advantage of the open-baffle speakers relative to cabinet ones?

Are these friendly in small listening rooms or do they require more space than cabinets for themselves, away from confinements to sound best?

What do you think of Spatial M4 turbo, a model that recently seems to be discussed often?

Are there affordable horn-based, high sensitive speakers that do not distort and sound natural, transparent, detailed and with realism? I know this is a tough one to answer, sorry!

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 09-15-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Did you get them recently? I'll look up the completed auctions. Crackle pop? The ones had years ago made noise when powered up but it was like a ping.
Yup, not a pop, like a ping. You can look at the listing on Ebay if you want, item# = 371596252764

You're right, they're not NOS, they're used old stock.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM

The sound will not change. What driver tube are you using? I think the seller is reputable.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 09-15-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
The sound will not change. What driver tube are you using?
I used a Psvane 6sn7 with the tung sol + 274b mesh for a few hours listening yesterday on my hd800.

Right now I'm listening to them with the Sylvania 6SN7 GT "bottom getter" and 5v4, same tube kit from the Hot Rod a few pages back.

Just took this pic, listening with that on my Omegas right now.

EDIT:
I couldn't find the exact 5v4 variant that was used in the Hot Rod, that made me sad (ocd about stuff like that).
Does anybody around here have a tube tester? Maybe I could ship the tung sol for third party testing.

Last edited by Comzee; 09-15-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Comzee.......Just so you know, you can copy that Flickr URL for the photo and paste it into the window here that pops up when you click on the yellow icon for Insert Image. That way you can post your photos directly into your post if you wish. I copied your photo URL and pasted it into the Insert Image icon and this is the result. Just be aware of the size. Typically between 800 and 1150 pixels width works well.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-15-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM

For those using the Psvane "cv181", which version are you using? I see 3, UK, black bottle, and grey bottle.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
For those using the Psvane "cv181", which version are you using? I see 3, UK, black bottle, and grey bottle.
I'm using the grey bottle, I believe this is their newest production version.

I want to note there is only one official North American dealer Grant Fidelity (to my knowledge and Google searching).
The plus there is they retest the tubes coming in from China. I've read from a good source that the Chinese makers ship all grades of tube to distrubuters, and you don't know if you're actually getting "Grade A" unless the distributor tests it, like Grant.
$50 more expensive than from China direct, so there's that if you're trying to save a buck.

Last edited by Comzee; 09-15-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comzee View Post
If you missed it, the pops are coming from the tubes themselves, not audio. Audio is 100% clean even when tubes are popping on warm up.

It's not so much a pop, it's like someone lightly tapping the inside of the glass with a metal pin, that kind of sound.
Oh, that's very different. I would be much less concerned about this. Sounds like a heat-related expansion effect.