AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 05-13-2017, 07:48 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Since you didn't find the need to quote them, they were your words.
Jim... time to let it go.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jim.......That opening sentence your refer to wasn't a sentence at all, it was the title of the article the link below it took you to. I read the article and found it interesting.

You have made it abundantly clear in many posts that you are pro MQA. Yippie, good for you. That doesn't mean any opposing view point has to be met with less than a congenial response simply because you don't agree.
Dan, I have no issues with individuals stating their preference for DSD or Hi Rez releases over a MQA version. There might even be an instance where some will prefer the redbook version to one available in MQA. That I have yet to hear but I am sure its possible.

I haven't told one person to go purchase a MQA capable DAC or purchase a MQA file. Nor have I told individuals not to purchase DSD, Hi Res or for that matter MP3 files. Yet many feel a need to tell me that I can't be hearing the improvement MQA offers and many of these posters haven't even heard it yet.

First they complained there were no comparisons. When sessions compared different versions they questioned the provenance of the files. Then issues were made that the files only sounded good because they were remastered. People questioned where the content was, now we have over 3000 titles with more released each week and they are not just the same old audiophile titles. The best part I am not paying 1 cent more for the improved SQ since I was paying for Tidal all along.

Sure, I am pro MQA. From the current list of companies adding MQA capabilities to their products the list of naysayers is getting smaller and smaller each month. With a list that includes: AudioQuest, Aurender, Bluesound,NAD, Brinkmann, dCS, Esoteric, IAG, Krell, Lumin, Mark Levinson, Meridian, MOON by Simaudio, MSB, Mytek, Onkyo and Pioneer, Pro-Ject Audio Systems,TEAC, Berkeley, Bel Canto, I doubt I will miss Benchmark, Linn or Playback Design.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see where anyone said you can't be hearing improvements with MQA encoding. I see where some are offering differing opinions and links to articles that may not parallel your experiences but I see nothing that should cause anyone to bristle.

Opposition and inquisitive natures often become the catalysts for additional improvements, even brand new inventions. There are some very intelligent individuals questioning MQA claims. There is nothing unusual or wrong about that. New inventions are always subject to critical analysis. Some will be supportive and others not so much. It is human nature to question everything, tear it down, see how it works, then put it back together.

The real proof about MQA's success and impact on listening habits will come with time and the spreadsheet numbers that will ultimately reflect market sales. Right now the licensing fees are pouring into MQA as manufacturers dip their toes into the market. The ultimate test of longevity will be the manufacturers return on investment and whether those returns warrant future participation. I am certain we will all see how it shakes out in the end.

In the mean time all I can wish you is happy listening, MQA or otherwise.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-14-2017, 07:17 AM

I like the MQA files I'm hearing on tidal via the Aurender even though I only get 24 bit 48 kHz it sounds very very good . I am for anything that gives me better sound. Do I wish I could hear the full unfolding to 96 KHZ absolutely, why not? I'm not going to throw my new DAC away just yet . In a few years as improvements are made possible. I try not to jump on the hardware band wagon until something new has been out awhile. In the mean time tidal streaming service is fantastic, most of my listening now is streaming! Yay for a nearly unlimited music library with increasing numbers of 24 bit rate music files monthly
Old 05-14-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:

now we have over 3000 titles with more released each week and they are not just the same old audiophile titles. The best part I am not paying 1 cent more for the improved SQ since I was paying for Tidal all along.
This is the best part. I recently listened to the new Ayreon album through tidal, definitely not audiophile music. It's metal opera with sci-fi themes. While I was listening I thought to myself, "damn, this sounds good". Only after looking at the roon description of the stream did I realize that it was a 24/48 stream which is MQA. I had no clue that was what I chose. I have no idea if it's just a well mastered album or if MQA made an audible difference but I paid not one more cent for it and I was able to stream hires. That's pretty cool.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
People questioned where the content was, now we have over 3000 titles with more released each week and they are not just the same old audiophile titles.
Way too few to constitute a critical mass. Despite my positive experience with MQA, I don't feel any motivation (yet) to bother with it actively.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:40 PM

We all have our own individual musical and format(s) of listening choices.

MQA has come along way in just a short period. Far exceeding SACD or DSD in catalog availabilities over their duration of 15 or so years. I can honestly say that l have never experienced either. Even though the experiences l've read about confirm its greater audio qualities. My issue was the minimal releases within their catalog.

It has taken most audio DAC manufacturers 10 years or more to finally accommodate DSD. For just approximately (500) titles. (correct me if mistaken)

MQA has now got major support all over the industry. All major labels with smaller independent labels soon to follow. As well, many DAC manufacturers showing their early support.

MQA's early stages of releases being (3000) mostly Warner (Tidal streaming at this point) HDtracks downloading in development , has certainly made a statement. We can all expect, patiently, that these numbers will multiply enormously over the course of time, exceedingly.

In my opinion, MQA is not in anyway a deterrence towards achieving anything less than what hi rez 24 bit streaming or downloading offers us. In my opinion being possibly a universally accepted format and potentially becoming mainstream, and may expose high fidelity to a greater audience. A new format ,which can potentially and positively introduce , audiophile newbies.

For instance, the latest Samsung S8 phone supports high-res audio including DSD64 and DSD128,
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/samsung/gal...aHPgyYSEegj.99

Last edited by morfeeus; 05-14-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Way too few to constitute a critical mass. Despite my positive experience with MQA, I don't feel any motivation (yet) to bother with it actively.
I agree that 3000 is still a drop in the ocean. To put it in perspective, I have about 3500 titles in my own library. Many music lovers and audiophiles (including Kal, I'm sure) have far more. Because I'm old enough to remember the ballyhoo around HDCD, I am skeptical of MQA, which seems deja vu all over again [to borrow from Yogi Berra].
Old 05-14-2017, 03:31 PM

Commenting on the expanding availability of high resolution audio products and services powered by MQA, Mark Piibe, Executive Vice President, Global Business Development and Digital Strategy, Sony Music Entertainment stated,

“As a long-running supporter of MQA’s high resolution audio solutions, we are encouraged to see a growing number of digital service providers and consumer hardware companies adopting MQA technology to make studio sound quality from Sony Music artists available to streaming music consumers.”

Beginnings towards the supportive transformation

Last edited by morfeeus; 05-14-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeus View Post

It has taken most audio DAC manufacturers 10 years or more to finally accommodate DSD. For just approximately (500) titles. (correct me if mistaken)
morfeeus.......There are approximately 7000 DSD titles. It's called SACD. Component manufacturers have been supporting this DSD format for much longer than ten years. It doesn't have to be a downloaded file to be DSD.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A