AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Default PS Audio Power Plant Premier

As is the case with most audio hobbyists, my system is a work in progress, and even now I am contemplating a speaker change, and a possible future move to tubes from solid state amplification. However, before making any significant changes in my system, I decided I first needed to maximize the performance of my system as it is currently configured. I reasoned that only when I know what I have, will I be in a position to know what I want, and a fully optimized system would be the best vantage point to assess any change. So, this year I have invested in a MEN220 to optimize room/system synergy, and concentrated on my A/C delivery by adding additional upgraded power cords for the remaining system components to match cords purchased last year for my MC501's, and now, a PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

I have long resisted the idea that power feeding audio components could make a significant difference. My rationale was that it was only the energy that enabled the audio component to process the signal, and that the signal formed the basis of what I heard, not the energy that powered the component! So, while I was willing to make significant investments in interconnects, and speaker cabling, I just thought that power enhancements must be another clever industry ploy to seperate the audiophile from his money. Over time, however, the many positive posts of trusted members have led me to reconsider my ideas on the subject. And since I was committed to pursuing all remaining paths to system optimization, I decided to take the plunge.

Since I was powering my system with two dedicatd 20-amp circuits, I was concerned whether I would need two PPP's to do the job. So I purchased a P3 power consumpion moniter at the same time I purchased the PPP. When connecting the PPP to my system, I also installed the P3, so it would moniter all system consumption - including the PPP. After some initial listening, I put my favorite system punisher on, Donald Fagen's "Morph The Cat". This well-known recording features a strong, well-defined synthsizer bass line, with a prominent, dry bass drum. I played my system at my typical top level, 90-92 Db - measured with my trusty Radio Shak sound level meter - and the highest power peak I noted was 725 watts! This is only 1/2 of the rated continous output rating of 1525 watts for the PPP, and remember guys, there is considerable headroom available above that continous rating for peak power demands. Now, obviously my conclusions don't apply to everyone, but since most of my listening is done at the 75-85db listening level, I don't see why I would need a second PPP.

Sound - Other very talented members have written eloquently about the sonic impact PPP has on one's system, and I can't imagine I can add much to their words - but I too heard shocking levels of quiet. I never thought of my system as noisy, but its not until the noise is removed that you realize what you (are not) hearing! Then, there is what you DO hear - the small instrumental details, spatial cues, improved dynamics and harmonic details - that emerge from those oh so black, blacks!! Highs are the sweetest I've ever heard from my system, and some of the best I have heard anywhere! The quieter backgrounds allow for slower instrumental decay, the sound stage has grown - again, with still greater stereo seperation than I enjoyed when I added the MEN220.

Unlike many of the members of this forum, who understandably concentrate on the latest audiophlie recordings because of their superior sonics, much of my collection is comprised of great performances by landmark 20th century artists, and while capably remastered, are often well short of the audio quality of the best modern recordings. I have accepted this tradeoff in order to enjoy these great performances. I have a favorite Tchaikovsky 1st piano concerto, played by Van Cliburn, that was recorded early in his career, in 1958, by RCA. I have always heard a degree of hash in some of the orchestral climaxes, which has seemed to become more prominant as I have improved my system over time. I was listening to this with a guy from my local McIntosh dealership, who was there to perform the initial MEN220 setup earlier this summer. He also heard this and thought it was an artifact, or flaw in a 50+ year-old recording, and one that I would likely have to live with. Well, when I played this same recording with my new PPP installed, I heard NONE of that hash. For the first time, those peak orchestral passages were clear and sweet!! Chalk one up for the reduction in A/C distortion by the PPP!

I have made significant improvements in my system this year with the addition of the MEN220, Wireworld Silver Electra 2.0 power cord upgrades and now, the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. While all of these changes have, by themselves, yeilded significant improvements, I have to believe my system was poised for this final "icing on the cake" enhancement, because the improvement has been truly astonishing - there certainly must be a synergy between the PPP and the Silver Electra power cords.

My thanks goes out to Dan, Ivan and all the other members of this fine website. Hardly a visit goes by where I don't learn something new around here.

Meanwhile, I'll have to get back to everyone later about those speakers and amps. Right now, I'm too busy enjoying what I already have!

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.

Last edited by Yardbird; 08-24-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Ted.......What an enjoyable, well written review of your new PPP. I find myself smiling because I had all the same experiences happen to my system as well, and it pleases me to know you have been able to achieve a new higher level of performance from your excellent sound system. I am happy for you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-23-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Ted, excellent review of your latest acquisition. I'm so glad once again to be able to assist you in getting closer to perfection.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 PM

Oh Ted. Poor, poor Ted.

You have the LuFlu. You still have a way to go before it runs its course.

Jim
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Oh Ted. Poor, poor Ted.

You have the LuFlu. You still have a way to go before it runs its course.
. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Take 2 very expensive speakers and call us in the morning...
Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 PM

Excellent, excellent write-up Ted. I know your joy - the PPP delivers ! I agree with your plan of action, that is maximizing what you already own. I recently added a bevy of Symposium products Rollerblocks 2+ (MCD500, C2300), HDSE (MC402), and Svelte Plus shelf (MC402) to go with the Ultra shelf under my turntable. This was no minor tweak! I highly recommend their products when the time is right for that next horizon.

Your comments on the synergy between Wireworld power cables (silver Electra 5^2) and the PPP once again have me intrigued by this combo. So so many users on AA are using these cables - must be some kind of magic. I am currently using stock cord on the PPP and Guerilla Audio PCs throughout the remainder of my system. The GA cords also give me blacker blacks (who knew how many shades of black there are). The GA are cheap compared with WW. I wonder what new horizon awaits me?? Hmmm

I guess the first place to start is the PPP stock cord. What do y'all think?

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Your comments on the synergy between Wireworld power cables (silver Electra 5^2) and the PPP once again have me intrigued by this combo. So so many users on AA are using these cables - must be some kind of magic. I am currently using stock cord on the PPP and Guerilla Audio PCs throughout the remainder of my system. The GA cords also give me blacker blacks (who knew how many shades of black there are). The GA are cheap compared with WW. I wonder what new horizon awaits me?? Hmmm

I guess the first place to start is the PPP stock cord. What do y'all think?
Jason.......I can highly recommend the Wireworld Silver Electra power cables. I am presently using 14 of the 2 meter WW SE power cables, and was convinced of their sonic improvements the minute I put the first two on my MC501 amplifiers and began to play music.

My recommendation to you is purchase two Wireworld Silver Electra power cables in two meter length to start. Put one on your Power Plant Premier, and the other on your MC402. If you plan to purchase only one to begin with, then move the GA power cable from your amp to the PPP, and install the new Wireworld Silver Electra on the power amp. I feel certain you will be quite impressed with how the bottom two octaves will gain thickness in timbre, greater leading edge definition on bass notes from both electric and acoustic bass instruments, and a richness to the bass that will disappear when you return to the stock cord. I went back and forth for a couple of hours with the Wireworld SE power cable and stock cables on my amplifiers. Every single time the WW SE cables were on my amplifiers the lower octaves became immediately cleaner, and more realistic. I was hooked on these cable within 30 minutes of use.

Last edited by jdandy; 08-24-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Ted.......What an enjoyable, well written review of your new PPP. I find myself smiling because I had all the same experiences happen to my system as well, and it pleases me to know you have been able to achieve a new higher level of performance from your excellent sound system. I am happy for you.
Thanks, Dan.
Its an honor to have one's efforts recognized by the resident master of the craft! Yes, the improvements are significant and I'm sure I'll be enjoying these enhancements for some time to come. There is a problem that goes along with having a well-sorted out system - you get spoiled by the sound quality, and now that I've started auditioning speakers, I'm finding that I have to listen to some pretty poor setups at dealers! Oh well, thats my cross to bear, and if its my biggest problem, I'm a lucky guy! Ted.

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Ted.......Thank you for the kind words. Believe me, your accolades are well earned. It is easy to sense your excitement and joy. That is the key. You wrote a great review.