AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 10-29-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC352 View Post
Glad to hear your Furman is making you smile.

I'm not a big motorcycle guy, but that is one nice bike in your avatar!
1996 HD FXSTC, but no riding here, 'foot of snow
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM

I also have 2 Furmans, the original IT-Reference and the SPR20i. The IT-Reference runs very hot and there is a bit of buzz from the huge transformer but nothing that can be heard from my viewing position. The IT-Reference runs really warm, I'm not sure if the current gen 20i runs as hot but with my unit you definitely can't keep your hand on the top of the unit for very long without it getting uncomfortable. The unit practically heats my room in the winter. The SPR20i runs very cool and quite. I have the SPR20 plugged into the wall and the IT-Referene plugs into the SPR20i.

I have 3 Bryston amps (2 x 4B-SSTs and a 6B-SST) plus a Paradigm Reference Sub-15plugged into the 4 amp outlets on the IT-Reference and when I did comparisons of the amps plugged directly into the wall I could hear no difference.

Rod
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Rod#S: The slight buzz you are hearing may not be the isolation transformer in you IT-REF, it is the Power-Factor Correction circuitry which contains an AC capacitor and is directly across the AC mains input.

It has been my experience that piggy-backed conditioners is not a good idea, Your IT-REF may give you better sound plugged-in directly to the wall. Unless your line voltage varies greatly from 115-120vac it may not render as much improvement as the IT-REF.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I also have 2 Furmans, the original IT-Reference and the SPR20i. The IT-Reference runs very hot and there is a bit of buzz from the huge transformer but nothing that can be heard from my viewing position. The IT-Reference runs really warm, I'm not sure if the current gen 20i runs as hot but with my unit you definitely can't keep your hand on the top of the unit for very long without it getting uncomfortable. The unit practically heats my room in the winter. The SPR20i runs very cool and quite. I have the SPR20 plugged into the wall and the IT-Referene plugs into the SPR20i.

I have 3 Bryston amps (2 x 4B-SSTs and a 6B-SST) plus a Paradigm Reference Sub-15plugged into the 4 amp outlets on the IT-Reference and when I did comparisons of the amps plugged directly into the wall I could hear no difference.

Rod
The way this has been explained to me is that the device with voltage-regulation circuitry should be plugged into the device without it. So the SPR-20i would be plugged into the IT-Reference if you're going to chain conditioners. This is how both Furman, and Tripplite before them, explained it. I forget why this is, but possibly it explains the hum. It's how my SPR-20i and Elite-15 PFi are set up (per Furman).
Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Rod#S: The slight buzz you are hearing may not be the isolation transformer in you IT-REF, it is the Power-Factor Correction circuitry which contains an AC capacitor and is directly across the AC mains input.

It has been my experience that piggy-backed conditioners is not a good idea, Your IT-REF may give you better sound plugged-in directly to the wall. Unless your line voltage varies greatly from 115-120vac it may not render as much improvement as the IT-REF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
The way this has been explained to me is that the device with voltage-regulation circuitry should be plugged into the device without it. So the SPR-20i would be plugged into the IT-Reference if you're going to chain conditioners. This is how both Furman, and Tripplite before them, explained it. I forget why this is, but possibly it explains the hum. It's how my SPR-20i and Elite-15 PFi are set up (per Furman).
Thanks for your feedback. Accordnig to the read out on my SPR20i my voltage typically varies from around 116/117 at the absolute low end up to about 127 over night if I recall correctly, it's been a while since I paid real close attention to it. The reason why I got the SPR20i was because for some unknown reason in my apartment in the evening the power noticeably dims so I figured that couldn't be good for my electronics.

Before I purchased the SPR20i I looked through all of the Furman documentation on their website on their products and how to connect devices to them and how to use multiple Furmans in the same system and they recommend the hookup I am using i.e Plug the SPR20i into the wall and all other Furmans into that so that everything down stream gets the benefits of the voltage regulation. For computers or projectors (i.e devices with hardrives or bulbs that need proper shut down time or cooling down time) in the system the recommendation was for one of their UPS units to be used for those devices.

They also made a note that if voltage regulation is not required to not use it as there would be no benefit to the system that could not be achieved with one of their other products. I think Bryston recommends the same thing with their Torus units.

Rod
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I live in rural Indiana, south-east of Indpls., our power company buys all its power from other companies. During ac season (mid to late summer) the demand is very high and line voltage drops as low as 95v. Seems to take some time after peak season to regulate line voltage which drifts as high as 125v.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
I live in rural Indiana, south-east of Indpls., our power company buys all its power from other companies. During ac season (mid to late summer) the demand is very high and line voltage drops as low as 95v. Seems to take some time after peak season to regulate line voltage which drifts as high as 125v.
I'm originally from Elkhart IN

I've always had "highish" AC, one reason I guess is I'm within 150ft. of the main transformer. Pretty consistent between 121-125. Before this latest Furman I used a PL-PRO-DMC, which did on a couple occasions over the years actually trip out for high AC. More recently seems to be pretty solid around 121.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 PM

In case anyone is interested, I tracked down Furman's product guide on their site. Here it is:
http://www.furmansound.com/pdf/pdfda...e_120V0508.pdf
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Accordnig to the read out on my SPR20i my voltage typically varies from around 116/117 at the absolute low end up to about 127 over night if I recall correctly, it's been a while since I paid real close attention to it. The reason why I got the SPR20i was because for some unknown reason in my apartment in the evening the power noticeably dims so I figured that couldn't be good for my electronics.

Before I purchased the SPR20i I looked through all of the Furman documentation on their website on their products and how to connect devices to them and how to use multiple Furmans in the same system and they recommend the hookup I am using i.e Plug the SPR20i into the wall and all other Furmans into that so that everything down stream gets the benefits of the voltage regulation. For computers or projectors (i.e devices with hardrives or bulbs that need proper shut down time or cooling down time) in the system the recommendation was for one of their UPS units to be used for those devices.

They also made a note that if voltage regulation is not required to not use it as there would be no benefit to the system that could not be achieved with one of their other products. I think Bryston recommends the same thing with their Torus units.

Rod
Interesting. Perhaps I'll call Furman and see if I get the same answer I got the first time.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Semi-audiophile

Rod#S, I downloaded Furman's 120V Applications Guide and the setup for large/mid-size systems is as you describe, and as I posted earlier, it's the opposite of what I was told when I called them (and Tripplite, when I had those in my system). Nothing is blowing up and my system doesn't draw much power, so it may be okay.