AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 05-04-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Search is only a issue with Classical. I do understand that Classical is your primary (only?) gene so that makes sense.

I have seen many suggestions on the Roon Forum how others have eased that pain.
Yes. The abiding issue is that classical listeners are a small minority of the market and businesses apply their efforts accordingly. I have been aware of that for most of my life. Because a preference for classical music is in my genes, it will always be an issue but some products, even if they are made so inadvertently, do much better than others.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:34 AM

I downloaded a trial of Roon. I think it sounds a hair better than jriver.
I don't enjoy roon's interface/catalog style.
But I love the signal path information and recommendations.
When listening to an old itunes purchased song I have a yellow light indicating its a low quality signal. And when I play the flacs I get a purple light. It's cheesy, but I like it.
I was playing a huge DSD expecting a purple light but got a green light instead. There was a setting to not convert a hi-res DSD to PCM, I kept the DSD as a DSD and the purple light comes back.
The license is steep, and only allows for one "core". This will be on my work PC in my office. I'll need one for my home now.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I agree but searching is continually frustrating.
Hmmm, I find the searching experience to be excellent. I also really like the metadata being readily available as well as the metadata database being improved (e.g. with latest build 416).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM

For anyone moving to Roon that has some level of technical ability, I suggest setting up a dedicated Roon ROCK (Custom Roon OS). that way you are not dealing with any Windows or Mac quirks, updates, reboots, etc. I did this over a year ago and have not looked back. It's the best digital experience I could have asked for. It just "works". No messing around with it endlessly....
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
The license is steep, and only allows for one "core". This will be on my work PC in my office. I'll need one for my home now.
No, you won't.

I have the core on two players in my apartment and one in my house. All that is necessary is to deactivate the ones not in use and activate the one you want to use.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hmmm, I find the searching experience to be excellent. I also really like the metadata being readily available as well as the metadata database being improved (e.g. with latest build 416).
OK. Try "Dialogues of the Carmelites." It is an opera by Poulenc. Let me know what you get, please.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
For the fans of Roon, does the player sound better than Jriver? Or does it just have better features?
I'm not into multi room playing.
I'm no fan of Jriver and was going to uninstall it after my free trial. On the last day I A/B'd the Jriver against groove and Jriver sounds better, more natural. Groove sounds good too, the highs just seem agitating.

I gave JRiver a try but ended up with Roon. Someone posted reasons why Roon is better than Jriver on another site. I will summarize below:

- Better mobile solution. Using phone and tablets with Roon is a breeze.

- Whole house audio.

- Streaming integration. Roon integrates with both Tidal and Qobuz seamlessly.

- Family acceptance. JRiver is too techie. Too complicated. No such problems with Roon.

- GUI is elegant and simple.

- Roon metadata can improve interaction with music library. Having immediate access to reviews, artist info and album history is nice.

- Roon's database capabilities are unmatched.

- Customer support and continuous upgrades. Roon keeps evolving and new features added. Roon now does MQA, DSP, Radio capabilities, and more. And Roon's website has a growing and very active Community.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Upgrade?

Setting up a Roon ROCK server is not that difficult. I went into this direction and have had no regrets. I purchased a slim fanless NUC case (Akasa Plato X7D) and NUC parts (board, processor, memory, SSD), then downloaded free server software from the Roon Web site and installed it using their guide. A temporary monitor is needed during the installation process, otherwise it operates headless similar to any other appliance. It is very quick to boot, can stay on for days or months and even updates itself. Once installed, Roon NUC server requires very little attention or maintenance.

Roon ROCK is automatically discovered by any Roon client software, which can sit on any network PC, phone or tablet. My Roon ROCK NUC is connected to the home network via a network cable and to the dac via a USB cable, but I plan to add a dedicated network player to this setup. I am not a big fan of USB audio, so I will probably experiment with I2S connection between the player and the dac.

I was using both JRiver and Roon from my PC directly to the dac earlier (USB cable). I could not hear the difference between JRiver and Roon when installed on the PC, but a dedicated Roon server has made a small but audible difference; it completely removed the PC from my audio chain and added some nice user-friendly features.

Last edited by Zelkop; 05-06-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
OK. Try "Dialogues of the Carmelites." It is an opera by Poulenc. Let me know what you get, please.
I don't own this recording so it would not show up in a search.

Roon is very responsive to customer input, this is clear from the frequency and nature of updates. If you wrote to them and provided them with your recommendations for addtional features and functionality, I'm confident they would act on it. Its clear that they want to make the experience for customers to be as good as possible.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkop View Post
Setting up a Roon ROCK server is not that difficult. I went into this direction and have had no regrets. I purchased a slim fanless NUC case (Akasa Plato X7D) and NUC parts (processor, memory, SD disk), then downloaded free server software from the Roon Web site and installed it using their guide. A temporary monitor is needed during the installation process, otherwise it operates headless similar to any other appliance. It is very quick to boot and can stay on for days or months.

The Roon ROCK is automatically discovered by any Roon client software, which can sit on any network PC, phone or tablet. My Roon ROCK NUC is connected to the home network via a network cable and to the dac via a good USB cable, but I plan to add a dedicated network player with I2S connection to the dac hoping of some further sonic benefits. Once installed, Roon NUC server requires very little attention or maintenance.

I was using both JRiver and Roon from my PC earlier, but this refinement with a dedicated Roon server completely removed the PC from my audio chain and it has made an audible difference.
Yes, unlike JRiver, Roon has worked very hard to make the entire Roon ROCK installation and "getting up and running process" very easy. I recently had to send my Mac Mini in for a new logic board (its now a 7 year old computer), and did a complete new install of Roon on my old, backup Macbook Pro. Installation was a snap, and my file library was updated and ready to roll within a couple hours.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-06-2019 at 02:58 PM.