AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 02-22-2019, 03:41 PM

Default Which DVD player?

If you looking to buy a blueray dvd player, today...what would you buy?
With technology quickly outdating/outperforming more expensive previous models?

Is the Oppo BDP-105D still a benchmark player or are there newer models, for less money, that are just as good?

I do like the idea of xlr outputs and the d/a converters used in the Oppo, because:
DVD will be for bedroom system. C2200C, MC1201's, B&W 802D's
TV is new 4k 75" Samsung Q8F

Also in the system are MV861 and MCD205.

There are a few used Oppo BDP-105D players on Ebay $845-$870 ???

Last edited by dpgstereo; 02-22-2019 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Did not post.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Oppo BDP-105 or Oppo BDP-105D?

Much of a difference?
Old 02-22-2019, 05:31 PM

Default Which DVD player?

I have the 105D version. It has better video than the non D version.
However neither the 105 or 105D will do 4K.

Oppo’s 4K players are the 203 and 205. But Oppo no longer makes players. The 205 has XLR outputs. Not sure about the 203. You can find them in the used market but you will have to pay $$$$ for them.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:45 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

One thread per topic please.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgstereo View Post
Oppo BDP-105 or Oppo BDP-105D?

Much of a difference?
BDP-105 is a (fullHD) BluRay/Universal player with audio and video streaming capabilities and is compatible with UPNP/DLNA, SACD/DVDAudio/PureAudioBluRay/CD/DVD/BluRay and can upscale all video to UHD resolution but not play UHD BluRay. It is also a DAC using a respectable (but IMHO merely OK) SABRE32 9018 chip - with optical/coax/USB inputs and 7.1 analog RCA outputs and a set of stereo XLR balanced outputs.

BDP-105D adds the "Darbee" chip which improves video scaling/color, but for audiophiles, it also adds DSD over USB compatibility (the regular 105 only plays PCM over USB).

Sound quality wise - not much of a difference IMHO. But ability to play DSD over USB is a worthwhile upgrade if you are using it as a DAC.

In case you aren't aware...
a. Oppo is no longer in the audio/video business of building BluRay players (the parent company still makes mobile phones)

b. The 105/105D was superseded by the UDP-205 which IMHO is a very major upgrade. The 205 is also a universal player but now plays UHD BluRay discs as well. The DAC is a much much much better SABRE32 9038PRO - and streaming support now extends to Roon (Roon as a Transport) over Ethernet. It also supports MQA Hires decoding over USB. But because Oppo suspended that side of the business, the resale market for the 205 has gone nuts. In part because there is no clear replacement for the 205.

You have the choice between:
1. the Panasonic UB-9000 which is a UHD/BluRay player (plays CD/DVDs) but not SACD/DVD Audio, has IMHO the better AKM4493 DAC (which I prefer over the 9038) and has multichannel analog RCA 7.1 outputs and XLR stereo outputs. Audio streaming is supported via UPNP/DLNA.

2. the Pioneer LX500/LX800.

The LX500 is cheaper, and is a universal player like the Oppo 205 (playing UHD BD, FullHD BD, SACD, DVDA, DVD, CD) but doesn't have multichannel analog outputs like the 205/Panasonic 9000 nor does it have balanced XLR outputs. Streaming is supported over UPNP/DLNA

The LX800 is more expensive and adds balanced outputs BUT uses IMHO an inferior SABRE32 9028 chipset. But this is the same chipset used in Pioneer's standalone music streamer which is also highly regarded.

Hope this helps.

For my money, if I just want a good FullHD and UHD BluRay/DVD player, I would just get the cheap Panasonic UB820. The video processing is top notch (same as the UB9000) and I love how it makes my Sony 760ES projector, which doesn't have the same nits brightness as my LG OLED or Sony FALD LED LCD TV look as balanced as those flat panel displays, especially with Dolby Vision titles (which I have found looks worse on non Dolby Vision compatible displays).

It is also compatible with every known format to date (as of late Feb 2019) including
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG
Dolby Vision
Old 02-22-2019, 08:30 PM

Great post Doogie!

My money if at a decent price is the Oppo 205
I owner a 95, passed on the 105, have had 2 pioneer and 2 sonys, not even in the same league as the Oppo. sad they should keep in production. my 2 cents
Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 PM

What's the deal with the Panasonic UB-9000?
Where would you buy one from?
I see nothing from Google search?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
BDP-105 is a (fullHD) BluRay/Universal player with audio and video streaming capabilities and is compatible with UPNP/DLNA, SACD/DVDAudio/PureAudioBluRay/CD/DVD/BluRay and can upscale all video to UHD resolution but not play UHD BluRay. It is also a DAC using a respectable (but IMHO merely OK) SABRE32 9018 chip - with optical/coax/USB inputs and 7.1 analog RCA outputs and a set of stereo XLR balanced outputs.

BDP-105D adds the "Darbee" chip which improves video scaling/color, but for audiophiles, it also adds DSD over USB compatibility (the regular 105 only plays PCM over USB).

Sound quality wise - not much of a difference IMHO. But ability to play DSD over USB is a worthwhile upgrade if you are using it as a DAC.

In case you aren't aware...
a. Oppo is no longer in the audio/video business of building BluRay players (the parent company still makes mobile phones)

b. The 105/105D was superseded by the UDP-205 which IMHO is a very major upgrade. The 205 is also a universal player but now plays UHD BluRay discs as well. The DAC is a much much much better SABRE32 9038PRO - and streaming support now extends to Roon (Roon as a Transport) over Ethernet. It also supports MQA Hires decoding over USB. But because Oppo suspended that side of the business, the resale market for the 205 has gone nuts. In part because there is no clear replacement for the 205.

You have the choice between:
1. the Panasonic UB-9000 which is a UHD/BluRay player (plays CD/DVDs) but not SACD/DVD Audio, has IMHO the better AKM4493 DAC (which I prefer over the 9038) and has multichannel analog RCA 7.1 outputs and XLR stereo outputs. Audio streaming is supported via UPNP/DLNA.

2. the Pioneer LX500/LX800.

The LX500 is cheaper, and is a universal player like the Oppo 205 (playing UHD BD, FullHD BD, SACD, DVDA, DVD, CD) but doesn't have multichannel analog outputs like the 205/Panasonic 9000 nor does it have balanced XLR outputs. Streaming is supported over UPNP/DLNA

The LX800 is more expensive and adds balanced outputs BUT uses IMHO an inferior SABRE32 9028 chipset. But this is the same chipset used in Pioneer's standalone music streamer which is also highly regarded.

Hope this helps.

For my money, if I just want a good FullHD and UHD BluRay/DVD player, I would just get the cheap Panasonic UB820. The video processing is top notch (same as the UB9000) and I love how it makes my Sony 760ES projector, which doesn't have the same nits brightness as my LG OLED or Sony FALD LED LCD TV look as balanced as those flat panel displays, especially with Dolby Vision titles (which I have found looks worse on non Dolby Vision compatible displays).

It is also compatible with every known format to date (as of late Feb 2019) including
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG
Dolby Vision

Thank you, very useful info.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
One thread per topic please.

Hi Ivan, Darryl here.
The first post was done, I didn't see it in New Posts.
My subscription had expired, I renewed...did another post.
Still didn't see second post, under New Posts. Then I used the drop-down and selected Today's Posts and saw both.. Maybe I need to check my settings?
Old 02-23-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgstereo View Post
What's the deal with the Panasonic UB-9000?
Where would you buy one from?
I see nothing from Google search?
Interesting - Panasonic has virtually zero presence in the US for the AV range. Not even their highly respected OLED TVs.

https://www.lifewire.com/panasonic-s...market-4055689