AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Time Pieces

Time Pieces Watch Collectors

View Poll Results: Which One Would You Choose?
IWC Aquatimer Chrono 3 10.34%
Breitling Windrider Blackbird Limited Edition 6 20.69%
Rolex GMT 2 - Blue & Black 23 79.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Your right, but they don't have to. As for them being special or not, that's for the owner to determine, different strokes for different folks.
Don
Understand that when I was speaking of "special" I meant Rolex does not make movements with multiple complications also known as Grand Complications. A typical chronograph might have 250 parts where a watch with multiple complications can have well over 1000 parts.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Don
Understand that when I was speaking of "special" I meant Rolex does not make movements with multiple complications also known as Grand Complications. A typical chronograph might have 250 parts where a watch with multiple complications can have well over 1000 parts.
Yes,I know all about watch movements and Grand Complications, hence my statement "they don't have to". Rolex has chosen their place in the market and is the most recognized watch brand in the world. Which oddly enough makes them less desirable to a lot of true watch collectors. As for what's "special", that's going to be different given ones own preferences. I think it's all relative to why a watch is being purchased. As I sure you already know many simply see Rolex as a "status" symbol and buy one simply for that reason. My reason is based on the in house movement and Rolex being a true "manufacturer". Something that many watch brands cannot claim. So given the three choices the OP gave, not choices I would make, I give the edge to Rolex and down (or should that be hands up ).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM
That's a Deusy !

Thumbs up

The JG master compressor diving is sharp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JG1.jpg (21.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg JG2.jpg (2.1 KB, 68 views)
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003

Last edited by Doug Lax; 08-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Yes,I know all about watch movements and Grand Complications, hence my statement "they don't have to". Rolex has chosen their place in the market and is the most recognized watch brand in the world. Which oddly enough makes them less desirable to a lot of true watch collectors. As for what's "special", that's going to be different given ones own preferences. I think it's all relative to why a watch is being purchased. As I sure you already know many simply see Rolex as a "status" symbol and buy one simply for that reason. My reason is based on the in house movement and Rolex being a true "manufacturer". Something that many watch brands cannot claim. So given the three choices the OP gave, not choices I would make, I give the edge to Rolex and down (or should that be hands up ).
What other suggestions would you offer? I'm open.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Of your three I've voted Rolex.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post

What other suggestions would you offer? I'm open.
It depends on why you are buying. Are you a collector and what direction, if any, are you going with your collection. I've been buying and selling watches for years and at one point had over 100 watches. Most of them were quarts pieces or cheap automatics. I think for a while I was just buying for the sale of buying. One day it took a good look at what I had and decided it just didn't make sense, so I sold or gave away all but 10 watches, some of which I still have. I decided what I would focus on we're watches/companies that used true "in house" movements.
So as for suggestions I can give a few but only you know what you want. We have a saying in the watch enthusiast circle, and that's "go with what makes you smile".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM
That's a Deusy !

Ok Don what did you keep???? Would love to hear your rationale for keeping the 10.
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
It depends on why you are buying. Are you a collector and what direction, if any, are you going with your collection. I've been buying and selling watches for years and at one point had over 100 watches. Most of them were quarts pieces or cheap automatics. I think for a while I was just buying for the sale of buying. One day it took a good look at what I had and decided it just didn't make sense, so I sold or gave away all but 10 watches, some of which I still have. I decided what I would focus on we're watches/companies that used true "in house" movements.
So as for suggestions I can give a few but only you know what you want. We have a saying in the watch enthusiast circle, and that's "go with what makes you smile".
I'm looking for an everyday watch. Something that is stylish that I can put on after the Rolex DSSD comes off. Something that I can wear to the pool as well as with a casual jacket when out for dinner.

Like...

Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Default My Suggestions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
I'm looking for an everyday watch. Something that is stylish that I can put on after the Rolex DSSD comes off. Something that I can wear to the pool as well as with a casual jacket when out for dinner.
In the same vein...

Panerai Submersible
Nice and simple / Vintage touch..
panerai-pam305.jpg

4359495959_1bb0d9d35a.jpg

243v2jp8.jpg

Audemars Piguet Diver
A little more sophistication / Classic chic..
DSC_0869.jpg

APdiver00.jpg

6983114121_413a683991_b.jpg

Both not as flashy as Rolex, but highly sought after and better resale in current used market.
More flexibility to play around with straps too to suit your mood. Have fun with the choices!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
In the same vein...

Panerai Submersible
Nice and simple / Vintage touch..
Attachment 28575

Attachment 28576

Attachment 28577

Audemars Piguet Diver
A little more sophistication / Classic chic..
Attachment 28578

Attachment 28579

Attachment 28580

Both not as flashy as Rolex, but highly sought after and better resale in current used market.
More flexibility to play around with straps too to suit your mood. Have fun with the choices!
NO FAIR!! Those are such excellent options, I'm going to have to run a whole new poll . The Panerai Submersible is ABSOLUTELY a must consider. I wonder why I overlooked that one. The Audemars is on the bucket list, and is just outta my budget for the time. I think I'd even prefer the Panerai over the Breitling. I do, however, really like to IWC.