AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Last evening I had the opportunity see the Branford Marsalis Quartet at the Soka Performing Arts Center. First time I had the opportunity to see a Jazz grammy winner perform. This was the second time I've been to the Soka Performing Arts Center, and its really a great place to see a performance.

The quartet performed select compositions from the "Four MFS Playin' Tunes" album. One of my favorite jazz albums over the past year. Also the tone on Branford's tenor sax on "Body and Soul" was captivating. The evening would not have been possible without Joey on piano, and Eric on bass, but Justin's percussion work was out of this world. They closed the evening with "St. James Infirmary Blues". I've heard this performed a few times now live, but it started off with a bass solo like non I've heard before. The quartet played with an energy that pulled you in and the music had feeling. This set the bar for the "St. James Infirmary Blues".

Branford Marsalis - Saxophones
Joey Calderazzo - Piano
Eric Revis - Bass
Justin Faulkner - Drums
Old 05-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawgWest View Post
Last evening I had the opportunity see the Branford Marsalis Quartet at the Soka Performing Arts Center. First time I had the opportunity to see a Jazz grammy winner perform. This was the second time I've been to the Soka Performing Arts Center, and its really a great place to see a performance. The quartet performed select compositions from the "Four MFS Playin' Tunes" album. One of my favorite jazz albums over the past year. Also the tone on Branford's tenor sax on "Body and Soul" was captivating. The evening would not have been possible without Joey on piano, and Eric on bass, but Justin's percussion work was out of this world. They closed the evening with "St. James Infirmary Blues". I've heard this performed a few times now live, but it started off with a bass solo like non I've heard before. The quartet played with an energy that pulled you in and the music had feeling. This set the bar for the "St. James Infirmary Blues". Branford Marsalis - Saxophones Joey Calderazzo - Piano Eric Revis - Bass Justin Faulkner - Drums
sounds like a great evening. 4 MFs is an excellent album, hearing some of those tunes performed live must have been quite special.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 PM

Default The one that got away

We had tickets tonight for Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers, row 15, center section. We've had the tickets for months and have been looking forward to it. On Thursday my wife and I both came down with a bug, and today I finally admitted defeat - although we're recovering, there's no way we'll be able to make the show. I had to call the theater and turn in our tickets for a credit
At least it's a sold out show and we're theater members so the theater was able to give us full credit. Still very disappointing.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Life is beautiful

Tony, what a pity!
Get well soon.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Racing Hoopties

Bruce Springsteen at Hershey Stadium next Tuesday!!!!!!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Bruce Springsteen at Hershey Stadium next Tuesday!!!!!!
You will love it - tremendous show this tour. Tom Morello seems to bring new energy to both Bruce and Nils.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 AM

Tonight saw the Gipsy Kings at Chateau Ste Michelle Winery in Woodinville, Washington. Excellent outdoor venue, with the wine shop and tasting room readily accessible. The band was very good, with great guitar playing and singing. Everybody was on their feet by half-way through the show.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:41 PM

Last night saw Crosby, Stills & Nash at the Chateau Ste Michelle winery, the last of the winery's summer concert series. The weather was perfect, and it was great show. Although their voices aren't what they used to be, they've done a good job of rearranging some of the harmonies to avoid the really high notes and still sounded great on songs like Wooden Ships and Guinnevere. Steve Stills' voice seems to have lost the most with age, but Graham Nash and David Crosby are still in good form, especially Crosby, who was still able to really belt out "Almost Cut My Hair". The backing band was excellent, and Stills's guitar work is still pretty good. They played for almost 3 hours and had the audience on their feet for most of the last hour. Lots of fun.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:14 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Several weeks ago, my wife and I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing the World premiere performance of renowned banjo virtuoso Béla Fleck’s newest piece, a Concerto composed for banjo and chamber orchestra with the Sewanee Symphony Orchestra at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee.

Béla Fleck performed in two concerts - the Saturday night premier of the new concerto, and a performance of his "The Imposter" for Banjo and Orchestra on Sunday Afternoon. My wife and I attended both.

In addition to the concerts, Fleck participated in a day of instructional forums for young aspiring musicians at the university. In addition to being the preeminent banjo player of the current era, Béla Fleck is a nice guy.

This guy is terrific.

Week of Banjo with Béla Fleck

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Just came home from the season opening presentation of the Kansas City Orchestra.

Had a great time at an exceptional offering of Ravel's Scherezade, sung by world class mezzo-soprano, and KC native, Joyce DiDinato.

Post intermission piece was Tchaikovsky's Symphony No 5 in E Minor, with all the energy and bombast that you could want.

Nice way to start the season (and I forgot to mention a stirring rendition of our National Anthem, preceding the advertised selections, as well!)

As much as I enjoy fine audio systems replay of music, I much prefer and stay grounded by frequent attendance at live musical performances by talented musicians at quality venues like the Kaufman Center in KC.

Happy Listening

Jim