AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 04-27-2016, 02:26 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Hi Tima,

Not sure if you've ever posted your thoughts on the Wilson/Still Point marriage. If you have, pls direct me to that review. If you haven't, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I have Sasha - Gen I. Perhaps that mo ray could be best invested in upgrading the speakers. Thoughts?
Hi Saint - Good to hear from you. I did not formally review Stillpoints, although I use a bunch of them including under my Alexias, and I wrote about them casually on forums, here and other. Roy Gregory did a review for TAB and you can find that here.

As to thoughts, here are a few at a high level - don't want to interrupt too much from Turntable's thread:

First off, Stillpoints is one of the best companies in high-end audio; although they are smaller than many, in terms of people and products they are a class act all the way. Their focus is on audio infrastructure, the 3-part foundation on which any system is grounded, regardless of whether its owner pays any attention to it or not. That is: power, isolation/vibration-control, and acoustics. With their footers and acoustic panels, Stillpoints addresses the latter two.

Stillpoints are known to work particularly well with Wilson speakers. While there are always exceptions, everyone I know who uses them with Wilsons has been v. satisfied with the results - I certainly am. Their effect is not unlike the effect of other isolation devices. Overall they reduce distortion caused by the vibrations they address. As drivers and crossovers are better isolated, music will gain clarity and definition. That means more natural transients, clearer decay, crisper image outlines and placement, improved pitch definition and more. Think about the kind of improvements you heard when you started using your Scuttle. I'm not making a relative comparison so much as drawing an analogy. While each system and room is different, the improvements are real.

For Sashas and up I like the Ultra5s which I use. True, they are expensive, so there is the question of priorities and where does one put one's money. I hear what you're saying; if your goal is a speaker upgrade and forgoing 8 Ultra5s will get you to Alexias, then go for the Alexias! (They're great with the M1.2s.) Nonetheless, imo, infrastructure is foundational, not icing on the cake.

For your gear on an SRA platform don't use Stillpoints with that. Stillpoints are not meant as a pass-through to direct energy outside themselves, so using them on an SRA platform mitigates that platform's effectiveness. (PS a Scuttle3 is in house with write-up coming.)

Follow-up? appreciate questions in mail or new thread.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Hi Tima

Nice pic of the 5's on the Alexia's.

BTW - the more Stillpoint chatter on this thread the better
Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 AM

I use Ultra 5 under Alexia with very good result. Highly recommended.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:46 AM

Another photo from the back.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Those 5's look super. I will have to do with my Ultra's.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:09 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post

Hey - you got 'em installed - looks good. How'd that go for you?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Looking at your photo, they don't appear to be installed as suggested by Stillpoints. Do they work just as well this way?

image-2463390017.jpg
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 05-24-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
Looking at your photo, they don't appear to be installed as suggested by Stillpoints. Do they work just as well this way?

Attachment 45708
What do you mean?

There is only one end for the adaptors to screw into.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? There is only one end for the adaptors to screw into.
The body and pad under the Hard Hat are each tapped at 1/4-20. (From Sticky in Stillpoints forum) My understanding is that any existing feet/spikes are removed and the adaptor screws into the speaker. The Stillpoint is then attached to the other end of the adaptor. I wasn't trying to suggest you had it wrong, but with only the photo to go on, it seemed different and I was curious as to how well they worked that way.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM

Last edited by John49; 05-24-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Iow, the hat comes off.