AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > News

News Local & Worldwide

Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Go Dawgs

Default Whoa, interesting but harsh article on Bose by Michael Fremer

Check out this article written by Michael Fremer about Bose and some of their business dealings....pretty interesting although pretty harsh considering the recent passing of the man. Although I knew a little about their history, it's pretty amazing to see how aggressively he tried to protect and promote the brand name making them hugely successful. What do ya'll think?

Dr. Amar Bose Dead at 83 | Analog Planet
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Check out this article written by Michael Fremer about Bose and some of their business dealings....pretty interesting although pretty harsh considering the recent passing of the man. Although I knew a little about their history, it's pretty amazing to see how aggressively he tried to protect and promote the brand name making them hugely successful. What do ya'll think?

Dr. Amar Bose Dead at 83 | Analog Planet
Well written. I liked it. Rings true.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 PM

Interesting read, thanks for posting.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Media Server Aficionado

I have been waiting for the dam to break after I read that times article too... I can't believe I actually agree with framer. Lol
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 PM

I have seen/heard the company in question referred to as: "Blose."
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:08 AM

Fremer has seemed to me to be a little inflammatory and controversial lately. He lately railed against American's sense of culture and the arts in a video piece. And I kind of have to agree with him to a point as far as popular culture goes. But Fremer usually does have a valid point to voice and I think he is definitely within bounds with regards to the business aspects of Bose in his write-up.

And the Stereophile (not Fremer) write-up the day after Brubeck's death was completely disrespectful and without any sense of taste, respectfulness, and IMO accuracy. So something could pass the editior's desk tht shouldn't have and that wouldn't surprise me... But It certainly didn't jibe with the NYT write-up.

My former girlfriend subscribed to Consumer Reports and they were so off on smartphones and anything tech it wasn't even funny. They are better off reviewing soap, washing machines, and blenders... The staff writers have to be pretty old and out of touch from what I could tell. I could see them getting sued for libel if they publish unsupported conclusions that disparage a company's reputation causing it financial harm. Never really thought about that aspect of journalism before... But nothing is purely objective in this world...

Last edited by junker; 07-18-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 AM

I wonder what he thinks of Monster?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
I wonder what he thinks of Monster?
Ask Mikey | Analog Planet

I dare you.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 AM

He seems to have had his dark side. But I didn't darken my bank account buying his stuff.
My midi hi fi is plastic, but it pumps out an honest decent sound above it's price level and is good except for opera and orchestral. It does exactly what it says on the tin, and I'm 100% sure, having heard a Bose bedside at 2-3X the price, that it's sound is far superior.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:34 AM

Surely this is indeed a forum of better tact than this ! Only bitterness inside would cause one to do such things. That is unless one far removed from death and has strength to boast, instead of questioning ones own mortality. remember the grieving family and the moment of silence !