AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Conrad Johnson Premier 15 Tube Suggestions

I’m looking for suggestions for the 12ax7 slots in my CJ Premier 15 S2 Phono Stage. I've posted this on the CJ Forum, but thought I'd also try to obtain advise from other than just CJ enthusiasts. Currently using EH (and Mullards for 6GK5’s). I recently put Telefunken PCC88/7DJ8 (made by Siemens) in my Premier 16 S2 line stage and couldn’t be happier. To quote Upscale’s site, where I bought them, it gives you “smooth highs that maintain extension without being bright, with great detail and texture in the mids”. That’s what I’d love to find in a 12ax7 that doesn’t break the bank. I’d don’t believe any new Russian or Chinese varieties will fill the bill so I think I’m resigned to NOS. The Premier 15 uses 6 of them and I’d like to stay under $500.

I realize that all circuits are different but would appreciate any advise you may have based upon your experiences whether it be in CJ equipment or something else.

Regards, Mark

Last edited by Marco1; 06-13-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM

Went thru several different 12ax7s with my aesthetix preamp. GE tubes seemed to have the best sparkle and life.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw3 View Post
Went thru several different 12ax7s with my aesthetix preamp. GE tubes seemed to have the best sparkle and life.
Thanks Ray. For whatever reason when I think NOS I always seem to gravitate to the Europeans. I have tried Raytheon and RCA, but never GE. Any vintage, plate type, etc. you found better than others? I do seem to remember GE being CJ's tube of choice for some of their models back when the Premier 15 was first released.

Regards, Mark
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM

I always thought that the EI ECC83 that cj originally supplied sounded the best in the unit. Problem is finding good ones that stay quiet, etc. The were far better in the 15 than the later supplied reissued Tungsols.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
I always thought that the EI ECC83 that cj originally supplied sounded the best in the unit. Problem is finding good ones that stay quiet, etc. The were far better in the 15 than the later supplied reissued Tungsols.
Thanks Myles. I didn't remember CJ using EI in this unit. Quiet ones are hard to find. I think RAM tubes has them but they're almost 100 bucks each for phono grade. A little too pricey, at least IMO for this tube. Of course buying 10-12 to find 6 isn't cheap either

Regards, Mark
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco1 View Post
Thanks Myles. I didn't remember CJ using EI in this unit. Quiet ones are hard to find. I think RAM tubes has them but they're almost 100 bucks each for phono grade. A little too pricey, at least IMO for this tube. Of course buying 10-12 to find 6 isn't cheap either

Regards, Mark
Hi Mark,

Not sure if this is an MM or MC application but Andy at Vintage Tube Services shows 8 Yugo/Ei 12AX7s in MM grade for $32/each. He's a no BS kind of guy, although sometimes a little quirky, and will give you the straight story on his stock. You might want to give him a call at (616) 454-3467. He's located in Michigan.

I've bought 6CG7 and 5751 from him in the past and they were top notch.

Regards,
Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Regards, Mark
A little less:

NOS Ei ECC83 / 12AX7
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Hi Mark,

Not sure if this is an MM or MC application but Andy at Vintage Tube Services shows 8 Yugo/Ei 12AX7s in MM grade for $32/each. He's a no BS kind of guy, although sometimes a little quirky, and will give you the straight story on his stock. You might want to give him a call at (616) 454-3467. He's located in Michigan.

I've bought 6CG7 and 5751 from him in the past and they were top notch.

Regards,
I don't think he has any more unless he got some in recently. Had asked him about a year ago regarding the Yugos.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ray. For whatever reason when I think NOS I always seem to gravitate to the Europeans. I have tried Raytheon and RCA, but never GE. Any vintage, plate type, etc. you found better than others? I do seem to remember GE being CJ's tube of choice for some of their models back when the Premier 15 was first released.

Regards, Mark
my GE 12ax7s were either black or grey plates from the 60s, I think. It was about 7 years ago and i sold the preamp with those tubes so buyer would have a great experience
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks again everyone.

Myles, I saw the Tube Depot ad. Just never bought from them. I'm familiar with the EI ECC83's, but not in the Premier 15. From what I remember, they may be a little dry to my tastes on vocals, which I listen to a lot. What do you think?

Joe, this is for MM but hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll finally breakdown and buy the Koetsu I've been lusting after for a couple of years. So I'm trying to plan ahead also. In either case, for phono sections I prefer the ultra low noise valve, when money permits. Been awhile since I talked to Andy so maybe I'll give him a call to see what he has available, whether EI or something else.

Right now I think I'm leaning in the direction of GE. Upscale has some listed at not too absurd prices. Ray, sounds like something similar to what you may have had. They also have Tungsram's which kind of intrigue me. Good reviews too. Anyone tried them? Sounds like they would mate nicely with the Tele's in my Premier 16. I am concerned however with reliability.

Anyhow, all three tubes are not that far apart price wise so maybe it's just time to jump in and try something different .

Regards, Mark