AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM

Default Help With Preamp Choices

OK, so I've been sitting on my butt for over 6 months now trying to figure out if there is a one-box HT/2 ch Preamp solution out there for me, but there isn't, at least for me. I needed a combination of capabilities that not one had: great analog preamp, excellent processing, Hi-level auto EQ/RC, etc. If only the MX150 had a true analog bypass, that would probably have been my choice (

The alternative was to go with a two-box solution of a good processor and a good preamp with HT bypass. This is the route I've just chosen: I just pre-ordered the Marantz AV8801, which gives me very good HT with Audyssey XT32 room correction (almost as good as Mac's Room Perfect), which I believe is very important for HT.

Now it's on to the search for a complimentary 2 channel preamp. Here's what I'm looking for:

Budget is roughly $4k, but can push that higher for compelling reasons. Need HT Bypass, would love to have tone controls or EQ, built-in DAC nice but not essential, as is asynch USB input (my next purchase will be music server). Soundwise, I am really a fan of the fuller, richer Mcintosh kinda sound versus analytical, highly detailed sound (although I do like detail like anyone else, this is an OK trade-off for me if I have to pick one).

My top contenders right now are the Classe CP800 and the Mac C48. Both have pretty much everything, however, I have a few questions for those that have either model. Another contender is the Mac C2300, as I do like the idea of tubes (for some added warmth and presence) and it does have tone controls.

CP 800 - I know it sounds excellent when fed via USB, but how is the sound when being fed by conventional RCA/XLR from a CD player? Also, I'm a little concerned about it maybe being a bit too neutral (I know, how is that bad?), although I guess I could fix that with it's EQ.

C48/C2300 - how cumbersome is the HT bypass via trigger? I don't understand how that works, and would appreciate an explanation.

C2300 - I've read a few posts about blown tubes, some that simply needed to be replaced, and one that damaged the unit (operator error). Is it difficult to change tubes? Do they go bad often?

So that's where I am. Advice, opinions, and other preamp suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!

Thanks much...Jeff
Speakers: Canton Ref K3

Last edited by jeffkrag; 11-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM

I think your making the right choice with the 2 system solution. Since the reviews are not out on the Marantz, its hard to now what compliments it. The CP-800 got awesome reviews though, and meets your DAC needs. mbovaird says he has talked to the and they are releasing updated firmware to take it to 24/192 in January but the existing 24/96 already got stellar reviews. Food for thought.

If you didn't need the DAC, (which I didn't) I would opt for the C2300, which is what I just purchased over the CP-800. It has impecable references, look around.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Derek, did you consider the C48/50? What made you eliminate them?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Music Provides Joy

CP800 gets my vote.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 PM

CP-800. I have one. It plays way way above its price point. I A/B it with my Mcintosh c1000p and the CP-800 held its own.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 PM

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but yes, the CP-800 is ridiculously to configure for HT bypass. You plug the front left/right from the SSP into the analog in (either RCA or XLR works fine). Then, using the user friendly touch screen on the front of the CP-800, select that input, select configure, select "pass through". Done. If you can work an iPhone or iPad, you can work the CP-800!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM

CP 800 gets my vote !!!!!
You should read the reviews.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Yeah, the CP-800 reviews are pretty steller.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:31 PM

Wow. Not a single vote yet for the Mac. And yet I still waiver, thinking that the c48 is a natural companion to my mc452, and may also be a bit warmer than the CP800. Can anyone confirm this?

Guess I can't go wrong here. Feeling excited and blessed on this Thanksgiving Day. Happy T-Day everyone!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:44 PM

Warmer? I don't think so. Both are SS. I've never owned the c48 (just heard it in a demo). I can tell you that my CP-800 in an A/B comparison held right there with my near $15,000 c1000c/p. The CP-800 has way more options and functionality and features and they will be adding more next year.

If you want "warmth", then go for the Mc2300. But there are compromises either way. You give up all the other things you mentioned above as your requirements.

If it was me, with your budget, CP-800 and never look back! If your #1 goal is "warmth" and you can give up most of the other things on your list above, then the 2300.

NOW - isn't Mc coming out with a Digital preamp? Not sure. When? How much? Who knows? The CP-800 fits well within your budget.

Mike