AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Hey Mike. I haven't looked at the caps in awhile. There was a reason I dismissed it but honestly can't remember why. Maybe I'll take another look. As for mini, I just don't want to set up the software, tweaks, etc. I want a purpose built machine with cd drive, ripping, and storage all in one. Also, the purpose built machines have been stripped of all nonsense, both in hardware and software, and have upgraded components specifically to improve sound.
Jeff for me I went around in circles so much about this that even the indians at Little Big Horn would have quit. Don't get me wrong here as I'm not knocking servers as I believe they have their place, but, they will become outdated & then you are left with old tech that doesn't cut it. A notebook on the other hand is just that, set one up with the smallest SSD & then connect an external HDD from 500gb to any 2/3/4/8 TB that you wish & you always have your music ready to play wherever you choose to take it, at the best quality & the very cheaper price.Add something like Audirvana + to shutdown all unwanted programs. Whatever you choose to plug the notebook into is your choice but when you want to upgrade the dac you are doing just that & not forking out for another server & the whole rigmarole of reloading the server. If the one box is your choice then thats a nice tidy place to be too. Just my take on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM

{Jeff for me I went around in circles so much about this that even the indians at Little Big Horn would have quit. }

Kevin, that's hilarious. Great line. And yes, I'm doing the same thing. I hear you, but I also have read so much about optimizing the PC, about wasapi, about power supplies, about extraneous programs, etc. I just don't want to deal with it. Other than the cost, which I know is bloated, the servers I'm looking at give me what I need (ripping, tagging, storage) in a small form factor, purpose built machine (limited programs, noise/ jitter reduction, upgraded power supply, etc) and I can use any external dac I like (this is where I believe the fastest improvements are being made). Just my two cents.
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM

Really starting to lean toward the C2200 or C2300 to get some tube magic in the mix. Then I can get a separate USB Dac like W4S Dac2 or the PWD Mk2 for pc audio. I've read some say the C2200 is slightly "better" than the C2300 (or at least richer, warmer). Can anyone offer comparison/opinion of the two?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM

The Parasound HALO JC2 is a very good preamp. You can add a good tube DAC of your choice.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 AM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Really starting to lean toward the C2200 or C2300 to get some tube magic in the mix. Then I can get a separate USB Dac like W4S Dac2 or the PWD Mk2 for pc audio. I've read some say the C2200 is slightly "better" than the C2300 (or at least richer, warmer). Can anyone offer comparison/opinion of the two?
Jeff, I used a c2200 with a mc252. I utilized the mm phono quite a bit and loved the preamp. But when I listened to the c2300 when it came out it was an eye opener. And the adjustability of both mm and mc phonos is a huge plus in my opinion.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtubes View Post
Jeff, I used a c2200 with a mc252. I utilized the mm phono quite a bit and loved the preamp. But when I listened to the c2300 when it came out it was an eye opener. And the adjustability of both mm and mc phonos is a huge plus in my opinion.
Thanks gtubes. I have no need for a phono stage, so it's all about SQ as a line stage. Outside of the phono, is the 2300 still an eye opener for you as line pre compared to the c2200?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 AM
What?

Jeff, sorry. Wasn't very clear. Absolutely, overall I preferred the c2300. It wasn't an in home audition or anything so a different system, different listening space at my dealer but I liked what I heard. A Marantz SACD player was hooked up for another customer at the time and it sounded very gooood. I listened to a Scheu Analog tt with a Benz Micro SL cart through the MC phono too that day.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg

Last edited by gtubes; 11-29-2012 at 12:33 PM.