AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Sennheiser HD800 and HDVA 600 Review

It is not unusual for me to get carried away with audio upgrades. What starts out as a simple change to one thing often leads to two, three, or four additional changes before the dust settles on a particular upgrade. So it was with my decision to upgrade from my trusted Sennheiser HD600 headphone to the new Sennheiser HD800. In fact, I started out to purchase the HD700 but right out of the gate I couldn't make my mouse click on the buy button. When I viewed the HD800 page my pointer just flew to the buy button on that page and in a trance like state of mind I clicked away. I guess some things are destined to be.

At any rate, the HD800 headphone arrived quickly and I was very pleased to discover the big improvement in performance and comfort over my HD600. After a couple weeks of enjoying the HD800 with my Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P tube Class A headphone amplifier I found myself daydreaming about the new Sennheiser HDVA 600 balanced solid state headphone amplifier and their new balanced headphone cable. As I researched the HDVA 600 and read reviews my daydream turned into a smoldering desire to own this combination. I felt it was a match made in headphone heaven and since I already had the HD800 in the house why not go all the way. I ordered the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amp and CH 800S balanced headphone cable from Sound Earphones and had both in my warm hands the very next day. Now my new headphone listening station is complete, well almost. I ordered a pair of balanced Wireworld Silver Eclipse interconnects to replace the Tributaries interconnects I have been using, plus a Wireworld Silver Starlight digital coaxial cable to replace the Wireworld Starlight digital coaxial cable I have been using. Fortunately I already own two Wireworld Aurora power cables. As you can see, what began as a new headphone rapidly snowballed into a number of other upgrades before the flu was cured. It seems like this happens to me all the time.

I now have 120 hours on the HD800 headphone and 92 hours on the HDVA 600 headphone amplifier and balanced headphone cable. I am still waiting on the Wireworld Silver Eclipse interconnects and Silver Starlight digital coaxial cable to arrive. The present set up is as follows: Sennheiser HD800 headphone, HDVA 600 headphone amplifier, CH 800 S balanced headphone cable, Wired 4 Sound DAC2, Sony Vaio i7 laptop computer with JRiver Media Center 19 feeding the DAC2 via a Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable, Oppo BDP-83 used as a transport feeding the DAC2 via a Wireworld Starlight digital coaxial cable, and both the DAC2 and the HDVA 600 are powered with Wireworld Aurora power cables from an APC 600 UPS.

Right out of the box both the HD800 headphone and the HDVA 600 amp sounded very good with no unusual sonic irregularities that I noticed. The HD800 and the HDVA 600 with the balanced headphone cable truly represents headphone heaven. As the hours have been logged on both the headphone and the amp I have noticed a gradual improvement in the texture and depth of bass. There has also been an expansion of what was already an amazing sound stage. This was further aided with the balanced headphone cable where channel separation seemed to become even more dramatic. What has surprised me more than anything is how little difference has developed after 90+ hours on the amp and the 120+ hours on the headphone. The break-in has demonstrated only minor differences in performance from day one and fresh out of the boxes. The break-in period has revealed subtle improvements but nothing dramatic. It is quite remarkable how good the headphone and the amp sounded from the first minute.

Both the HD800 and the HDVA 600 are delivering exceptional sound quality. I find myself having difficulty taking the headphones off once I begin listening. The full rich dynamic sound of this headphone rig is addicting. The sound stage dimensions are astonishing and quite different from any other headphone I have experienced. I am enjoying this headphone system so much I haven't listened to the studio sound system in over a week. That sums up my happiness with the new Sennheiser HD800 and HDVA 600 setup. I am anticipating additional performance improvements when the Wireworld Silver Eclipse interconnects and Silver Starlight digital coaxial cable finally arrives, gets installed and break-in is completed.

Like I said at the start, I can get carried away quite easily. This headphone upgrade has been a perfect example. What started out as a $1500 headphone upgrade led to a total investment that has exceeded $4k without counting the value of the W4S DAC2, Oppo BDP-83 or the Sony Vaio laptop sources. I need to remember this when I start thinking about another upgrade. It is never as simple as I think or as inexpensive as I initially convince myself. Don't misunderstand, I am thrilled with the results of my new headphone outfit. I wouldn't change a thing. It is fabulous. I just need to remember to remove my blinders in the beginning. Upgrades are great fun but rarely end with a single item purchase. None the less, I am an extremely pleased headphone enthusiast with the Sennheiser HD800 headphone and HDVA 600 headphone amplifier. It is top notch gear and highly recommended for those considering a new headphone rig.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-04-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM

Dan Nice write up and so my honesty and truth on the end game cost and the sound quality findings.

I find myself as I am sure other do ending up with 2x to 3x the cost when that so called simple upgrade is in place and we are content with it.

Enjoy as I know you will
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM

Dan,

Like pulling a loose thread on a sweater. The old snow ball effect. Glad you're enjoying your new rig!

Scott

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Remembering Dan

Dan...a great write up as always and I've no doubt it is a superb rig in its current configuration. I already have an idea from having visited and auditioned the HD 800. That was before the addition of the HDVA 600, of course. This amp looks really nice, with a very stylish and clean look.

I know just what you mean about getting carried away....I'm enjoying your old HD 600 headphone a lot, but of course having heard the 800 one can't help but fantasize about owning it. Fortunately I've plenty of other priorities going over that right now...so I'm perfectly happy to stay with the HD 600 driven by my Crown D-75A amp. Together with the AudioArt cable, I'm getting a lot of enjoyment.

Congratulations on a most enviable rig...I look forward to visiting again in the not too distant future and hear it with the new Silver Eclipse Silver starlight cables in place.

Fabulous job Dan, and a great write up, as per usual!!

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Pete.......Thank you. The HD800 is parked on my head as I write. I am getting a lot of enjoyment from this headphone setup. I know there are a lot of other top shelf headphones and amplifiers out there but I honestly feel I am getting a tremendous bang for the buck with my choice.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-28-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM

HD800 here today. A six hour listening session seemed like just an hour! Was intending to listen to vinyl but the Ayre CD player via Manley Steelhead & BCL had me captivated. Will play some vinyl to the HD800 tonight.
I've never before been content with long term headphone listening till now, wow what a set of cans!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGremlin View Post
HD800 here today. A six hour listening session seemed like just an hour! Was intending to listen to vinyl but the Ayre CD player via Manley Steelhead & BCL had me captivated. Will play some vinyl to the HD800 tonight.
I've never before been content with long term headphone listening till now, wow what a set of cans!
Mike......Tell me about it. I am happy for you. I have mine on my head right now and have for about the past six hours. Not only are they a joy to listen to, they are extremely comfortable to wear for long periods of time with no fatigue or discomfort at all.

The Sennheiser HD800 is a fantastic headphone. I am well past 150 hours on my HD800. Powering the headphone with Sennheiser's new HDVA 600 headphone amp and the Sennheiser CH 800 S balanced cable is definitely the way to go. Detailed, delicate, dynamic, robust, highly resolved, solid bottom end, and astonishing sound stage are just a few positive attributes of the HDVA 600 and HD800 together. Each day I am more thrilled than the day before. I have never before been this ecstatic about a headphone system.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGremlin View Post
HD800 here today. A six hour listening session seemed like just an hour! Was intending to listen to vinyl but the Ayre CD player via Manley Steelhead & BCL had me captivated. Will play some vinyl to the HD800 tonight. I've never before been content with long term headphone listening till now, wow what a set of cans!
Nice, Mike! You and Dan are making me want to go grab a pair. Your descriptions are so inviting!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Grab a pair, you won't be disappointed. The HD800 was pretty impressive right out of the box, the more I listen the better it gets!!
Both CD and vinyl are amazing through these cans. This afternoon I listened to a few classical Living Stereo albums with good depth & soundstage and the HD800 performed flawlessly recreating the recorded space believably. Then by contrast I put on a Laurie Anderson CD (Bright Red) where the spatial effects were incredibly reproduced. These phones are definitely keepers. Mike
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

The Sennheiser HD800 headphone now has 265 hours on it. The Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier and CH 800 S balanced headphone cable now have 247 hours logged on them. The Wireworld Silver Eclipse balanced interconnects and Silver Starlight coaxial digital cable now have 110 hours break-in on them. The total package has become so liquid and transparent the flow of music is almost hypnotic. The sound stage developed by the HD800 is astonishing. The ability to accurately localize instrument positions and voices has only improved as the headphone, amplifier and cables have settled into their permanent voices. Listening to this headphone system is so intoxicating. What starts as an hour easily becomes a full non-stop afternoon of complete listening enjoyment.

I am still totally satisfied with the comfort level of the HD800. It doesn't seem to matter whether I wear the headphone for one hour or ten hours, they never become uncomfortable. The sound is so fluid and pure, totally non-fatiguing. Time becomes meaningless when the music is playing. One recording leads to the next with no desire to stop listening. I have never experienced such delight with a headphone system before this one.

I just wanted to update this thread now that I feel the headphone, amplifier, and cables have had sufficient time and use to be considered broken in. Truth be known, there has been minimal change in the sound from day one until now. There has been some improvement noted in the overall clarity and sound stage focus when I changed from the Tributaries interconnects to the Wireworld Silver Eclipse and the Silver Starlight coaxial cable. The overall frequency response is faithfully reproduced in a fulfilling, satisfying and extremely revealing performance. The HD800 and HDVA 600 can almost be considered addicting. Just looking at the HD800 hanging on the headphone stand is all it takes to trigger a desire to reach for them and begin a listening session. I am beyond pleased with this headphone system, I am ecstatic.

Last edited by jdandy; 02-07-2014 at 09:00 PM.