AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 08-29-2020, 08:12 PM

Default Tried Qobuz again

I tried Qobuz HR again today after trying it when it was first available in the US vs Tidal MQA. For me Tidal MQA sounds preferable with any music track I listened to. The only reason I can think of is that my system must be more optimized for Tidal MQA. I have Qobuz and Tidal both going through an Aurender N10 and then into a Berkeley DAC. The DAC does both HR and MQA. I found the same music that I usually listen to on both services but I didn't go crazy searching for the same tracks to compare. I do like that with Tidal there is a tab that I can click on to get Masters for MQA. I couldn't find that with my Aurender for Qobuz. I don't think there is a reason for me to keep both so I will be keeping Tidal even though it is $5.00 per month more. Am I missing something others prefer with Qobuz?

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 08-29-2020, 08:19 PM
Racing Hoopties

I don’t think there is anything else Paul. It’s a personal choice. MQA (first unfold) did not sound better than the native Qobuz files for me. The $5/month savings just makes me feel smug.

If you can look past the push for R&B and Rap on Tidal than it clearly has a larger library and can be a solid choice.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-29-2020, 08:43 PM

Default Tried Qobuz again

I also couldn’t find a sonic advantage for MQA vs unaltered hi res via Qobuz, and Qobuz has a better selection of the music I listen to (a lot of jazz and classical). Also I buy downloads, and the annual subscription to Qobuz gives a significant discount on hi res downloads, so for me it’s a lot cheaper to go with Qobuz. If you don’t buy downloads, you hear something better with MQA, and they both have the music you like, then Tidal makes more sense for you.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-30-2020, 02:59 PM

Last night I did find some Qobuz 192 HR that was only available on Qobuz. On Tidal it was only available in CD quality. It was the Blue Coast Collection - acoustic music. It did sound better on Qobuz HR.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira