AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 02-24-2016, 01:35 AM

Contact the US Hashimoto importer at...

MC Step-Ups

Great person to deal with and better prices than Choir.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 AM

Thank you vortrex, much appreciated 😎
Old 02-27-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I thought I would post this here since it relates to Shindo but if Ivan wants to move it to vinyl/turntable forum, that's ok too.

I've been running the Denon 103R through the Auditorium 23 Step up Transformer. As we Shindo owners know, the MC phono stage of the Shindo preamps is really designed for super low impedance cartridges like the Shindo SPU and a few others out there.

I've heard good things about the A23 SUT that works very well with the 103R and was actually designed around the 103 cartridge. Matt was kind enough to send me the SUT to audition.

I have to say, the 103R MC cartridge going through the A23 SUT and to the MM phono stage of the Shindo Masseto brought on a whole new level of performance. Specifically, the 103R opened up and started to simply blossom in terms of harmonics and took on a more open and effortless sound. It really sounded pretty good going through the Shindo MC without the SUT but by comparison, I was now listening to quite a different sound.

Considering all the minuscule, tiny voltage fluctuations that take place as the stylus tracks the grooves, proper loading is very important for an MC cartridge. The A23 SUT is like matching a modern 6 speed transmission to an engine instead of the 3 gear auto tranny of a vintage car. The SUT helps the cartridge to open up harmonically and there is quite a bit more color and fireworks going on when every tiny fluctuation of the stylus is well impedance matched to the phono stage and the cartridge is loaded more favorably.

After spending a few days with the 103R/SUT, I wanted to mount and try the excellent EMT TSD15 cartridge that Matt recommended and is considered a natural step up in performance from the great "bang for the buck" Denon 103R.

For those not familiar, EMT, the company was founded in 1940 by Wilhelm Franz in Berlin and named "Electrical Measuring Technology William Franz KG".

Further history:

History of EMT
EMT Studiotechnik

Off went the 103R and on went the TSD15 cartridge. Careful setup with the excellent Dr.Feickert protractor and the cartridge was aligned and ready to go.

New, out of the box sound was amazingly smooth with the TSD15. The Denon 103R was just a bit rough and shrill until it had at least a dozen records or so but also smoothed out nicely and continued to break in and open up after that.

I've played 8 records so far on this cartridge and I am really liking what I am hearing. This cartridge is a real smoothie. Gorgeous midrange, slightly fuller and weightier than the 103R, I like that, a bit on the warmer/romantic side of absolute neutral but fits in really nice with the Shindo gear. Bass is quite a bit more potent than what I am used to with the 103R. This is nice, full, round and "wet" analog bass that I enjoy so much. The 15" drivers of the Tannoy are ever so happy to do some "slappin' da bass man" with the TSD15...

The EMT sounds a bit darker up top right now and I will follow the break in to see what happens with that but overall, the TSD15 sounds warmish, a bit darkish, extremely musical and very, very easy to listen to. A pleasure of a cartridge. Listening to some classic rock this evening, some acoustic guitar records as well as some jazz, the TSD15 simply made me forget about the system and really get into the musical groove. Nothing sour coming out of speakers, every note is warm, rich and satisfying. There is some real "meat on the bones" here.

Getting back to the A23SUT, I'd say it is highly recommended for Shindo owners that have not yet stepped up to the Shindo TT/SPU but want to hear what their phono stage is all about while using an MC cartridge that is not super low impedance. The MM phono of the Monbrison and Masseto that I have personally experienced so far are full of magic. It just sounds so rich and colorful! This is not your solid state phono stage.

I'll add more comments as the TSD15 breaks in some more.
Hello Enjoy your post but wondering who makes the white setup disc in your picture. Im getting ready to setup a new tonearm and looks like it will help verify the distances. Thanks in advance Vince
Old 03-03-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGremlin View Post
I'm interested in the Hashimoto HM7 step-up transformer for my Koetsu Onyx Gold cartridge. I sent an enquiry email to Choir, got a error non-delivery response 24 hours later.
I live in the UK but happy to deal with a US supplier. Any recommendations please.
Yesterday I received a pre-owned Hashimoto HM7 Step Up Transformer in perfect condition.
When using the Manley Steelhead I always oreferred the sound of the lowest amplification factor (50) on the MM input but then needed the volume control at near max to get some decent listening levels.
Well Sir, I am blown away by the Koetsu Onyx on the Hashimoto SUT, still on the 50 gain position, that Koetsu sound I love is hugely improved. Dynamics on big band recordings are now really impressive. The volume control is loud at the quarter to position. Vocals are superb and the stage very good too
Wish I'd done this a long time ago!
Old 10-08-2016, 06:15 PM

Which side on the a23 step up is the input versus output, and left vs right ?

They are unmarked.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrary View Post
Which side on the a23 step up is the input versus output, and left vs right ? They are unmarked.
The input is the side without the ground cable.
Output gets the ground cable.
For right / left : you choose. No matter. Just be sure to have both right channels on the same side of the transfo.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:10 PM

But the ground wire is in the middle of mine?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
The input is the side without the ground cable.
Output gets the ground cable.
For right / left : you choose. No matter. Just be sure to have both right channels on the same side of the transfo.
Hi Jerome,

I believe it is the complete opposite. The INPUT side is the one with the ground cable in the middle of the RCA jacks. I just picked up an A23 step up for Ortofon SPU cartridges and a second one for Denon DL 103 carts.

At some point, I'd look to getting the Hommage as well, both T1 and T2. These step Ups are really stunning with their intended matched cartridges.

EDIT: I wanted to come back and edit this post. Jerome is right for the Denon DL-103 version. As of today, I own both versions and the peculiar thing is that for the Standard A23 Step up for the Ortofon transformer, the input side has the ground wire. For the Denon DL-103 Standard A23 version, the output side has the ground wire. Very confusing, but once setup, who cares.
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor

Last edited by shaizada; 02-08-2017 at 09:20 PM.