AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Oppo HA-2 and PM-3

Looking for some input on this as a travel set up. I am looking at getting the HA-2 to pair with a 7th gen iPod and listen to FLAC/DSD files with the PM-3...I'm on a limited budget but open to other suggestions in the $700 or $800 range for a combo.

This is all relatively new to me.
Subwoofer REL Stadium III Sub-Bass System BluRay Player Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 PM

Default HA-2 and PM-3 Thoughts

Hi,

I have had both for just over a year. I gleaned a lot of knowledge from head-fi.org, there are dedicated threads to both the HA-2 and PM-3 on the site (Ivan, I hope it's okay to refer to another audio page?). I would suggest visiting that site for info-there's plenty, and comparisons, too.

I used Etymotic custom IEMs until my dog chewed them up. I have always wanted a set of "cans" and wasn't sure what to get-fortunately, the PM-3 was just gaining traction last March, so I read up on it (quite a bit!). I have a BDP-83 and BDP-103 so I'm familiar with OPPO quality. The price point for both was right what I wanted, so I went for it and have no regrets.

I'm no audiophile but I really enjoy listening to the combo while at work-they sound very natural to me. The bass is tight (not boomy) and the details really shine through. I've used them on a plane and they worked well. Not total isolation from airplane engine noise, but still pretty good.

The amp fits in my pocket and the headphones aren't too big and heavy. My source is a 160GB iPod Classic 7th Generation. Most say the headphones sound great straight out of an iPhone, but the HA-2 really brings it all together.

Can't really think of any "cons" but for some the clamping force is too tight or the bass isn't punchy enough.

I bought mine directly from OPPO and used PayPal, so I had 6 months no interest to pay for them with PayPal credit.

Cheers,

Don
Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 PM

I gotta tell you that that Oppo Portable amp drives any of my cans just fine, HD 700, HD 800, and the Audeze yoo.

I just came back from 4 days on the road with the 700s and that amp / dac with an itouch 32 gig player. I have MP3 and 96k files using the Onkyo player registered version. Impressive, like a mini real stereo audiophile rig on your head.

A few times the Itouch battery was low after a 4 hour flight, pushed the power button for 4+ secs to get into charge mode, only discharged the amp / dac one LED from 4 to 3 and the itouch was at 80 % in less than 15 minutes

Get the HA2 it is best $$$ for $$$ I have spent

Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Thank you all...It sounds like it is a good combo to go with...I too; have been doing nothing but reading...

I was considering IEMs but with 4 dogs and 1 very mischievous cat I figured they would get chewed up...So I was looking at all the "cans" up to $800 mark...Just couldn't justify the rice after reading all the good reviews on the PM-3s... Momentum II had good reviews but not as good as the PM-3s...Plus I was working not he theory Oppo had possibly matched the HA-2 to the PM-3 for a full travel kit...

I've got the BDP-105 and just love that unit, the video and sound quality is incredible for a low budget audiophile as myself...

Again, thanks for the comments and looks like I'll be buying this combo from Oppo....I like th ePaypal 6 month idea...Might open a Paypal account for that!!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM

The Audeze Sine gives the pm-3 a real run for the money. Try to listen to both. I own both and prefer the Sine, but the Oppo is no slouch.

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:14 PM

I've been thinking the Audioquest dragonfly and nighthawk combo would make a good travel setup:

Old 05-26-2016, 04:43 AM

I've got the Audioquest Dragonfly and like it quite well; however, I am moving into DSD files and higher res FLAC files the Dragonfly can't manage. So that's why I'm getting the HA-2.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 AM

HA-2 great price point and the built in battery pack can recharge your apple nicely after extended play times. I will last up to 14 hours on its own. or less if you use it as a charger too.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:28 PM

I know, a tad late to the party here, but one other thought worth considering. For my portable use I have an Ayres Pono. This is self contained so there is not need for a separate music source (iPhone, etc.) or Jitter Bug (not going through USB and cables).

It plays all PCM files and DSD up to DSD128. The unit uses the ESS-9018 DAC chips and has internal storage of 64 GB. It also has a micro SD card slot which the new 200 GB SanDisk card works well in (I have one in it). Therefore I loaded it up with a ton of music, both HD downloads and DSD downloads!

As simple as attaching it to a computer through the USB cable and copying files/albums to it.

It can power most portable headphones. I have used Audeze with it and currently use the top of the line KEF M500. I am 100% sure the Oppo cans would work just fine with it.

They also have a Father's Day sale going now for $100 off... enough to buy the 200 GB card off Amazon!!!

At normal price, grand total, Ayres, 200 GB card and the KEF's were $800...

And it even comes in a wood box ....

Oh, one other thing. You do not have to buy from the Pono store. Any file you have can be used with it. I buy from HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, Native DSD, besides the Pono store. In general they do sell for a little cheaper than the others, however. They also have an upgrade policy where any music you buy if a higher rez version comes out you get it for free... this has happen a couple times for me! BTW their free software to manage your downloads is built by JRivers and appears to be virtually identical... just as an FYI...

Last edited by Randy Myers; 06-17-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:19 PM

I have had the Oppo combo for about 6 months now...and I highly recommend it. It makes flying and hanging out in hotel rooms so much more enjoyable. It is the perfect mobile HiFi rig when away from my systems at home.