AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Burmester Audio

Burmester Audio Art for the Ear

Old 12-03-2014, 05:06 AM

Hi bvdiman,

The distortion in my power supply at home is already quite low, that's why I think there is no improvement. In my experience the dedicated power supply was the important step.

I am even keeping the PPP out of that dedicated supply, as a power (re)generator unit can put a lot of distortion back into the power supply.

Also the Ayre player already has a power supply filter onboard and with the Wadia I am using a powercord where the manufacturer is stating not to use a power conditioner/filter.

IMHO these power conditioners can help if the power supply has high distortion, if this is not the case you are just adding an extra unit and it will do more harm then good.

Olaf
Old 12-03-2014, 05:10 AM

Tommy,

Why audition Burmester separates and an Accuphase integrated, then you can also look at Accuphase separates (second hand) and the comparison is level again.

Olaf
Old 12-03-2014, 05:11 AM

I think some people forgot that your question was not which was "better", but which was warmer

The 036 is the power section of the 082. It is MUCH warmer than a 911. The 946 is the power section of the 032. The bass and lower mids will sound similar to the 911. The 911 has a much more open and extended top end. It will have more bass authority with a low impedance "difficult" speaker - neither of yours are.

If you asked about the 036 because the dealer has one, then this will give a much better approximation of the sound of the 032/082 than the 911. As an aside, I think I preferred the 032 to a 946 power amp with an 088 preamp - it seemed more cohesive. Given the 088 alone costs more than the 032 (at least where I am), that makes the Burmester integrated relative bargains, within the Burmester world.

My 082 could not quite control the lowest bass with my Guarneri Evos (which are more demanding than your Mementos, IIRC). But sounded glorious while trying. The 032 is a safer bet.

I did look at the Devore you have, specifically the Fremer review with JA's typically comprehensive tests:
DeVore Fidelity Silverback Reference loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

The crossover design is unusual. It has a rising impedance in the upper bass. I think the Burmester amp would suit that design better, in terms of sounding warmer than the E-600.

With the Guarneri, it could go either way.

My Accuphase (boxed in the basement) is an E-3xx I think, and a few years old. It is not comparable to the E-4/5/6 series. My understanding is that the E-600, which 2 people on this thread own, is more open sounding than the the E-4xx class A/B amps. AFAIK, Ivan is using the E-470, and his Burmester reference is the 911 and he does not have the integrated amps.

So whilst at your dealer, it may be worthwhile to also listen to an E-460/470, by example, to see if that gives you more of the warmth you are looking for, vs the purity of the E-600.

And owning both brands, what I can say they share is beautiful construction quality, inside and out. The 032 is not much smaller than the 911 you will be seeing, if that is a consideration.

Hope this helps. Nice choices all round, good luck choosing
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Hi TommyC

Just read the review of Devore speakers, the reviewer is mentioning that the high frequencies "can" be hashy. Is this why you are looking for a warm amplifier ?

The sensitivity is 89,5dB, and a minimum impedance of 6 ohm over the freqeuncy band, this is not a very difficult speaker to drive. Both Burmester and Accuphase won't have a problem to make them sing.

First I guess you will have to establish your budget, with an integrated you need less cables (or go for higher quality), ultimately with separates you will be able to go to a higher level. But as mentioned before, try to get some amplifiers at home to audition.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 PM

Olaf

The reason I'm auditioning Burmester separates and Accuphase integrated is because that's what the dealer has in his show room. He does have a Burmester 101 integrated, but it's a totally different animal being class D.

I don't find the Silverbacks "hashy." It's just I sold off my tube system, so I'm looking for something that I can listen to for a long time w/o fatigue. I guess it doesn't have to be "warm." As long as the gears are musical, I'm happy. Btw I still have my Guarneri Memento.

Glisse

I asked about 036 because I've heard a few people selling off their 911 mono because they found there's too much of a good thing. The amps sounded very impressive, but got fatiguing after a while. It's very interesting to know the smaller Burmester actually sounds warmer than the big brothers.

I'm planning to audition both brands in the next few weeks.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:19 AM

Hi Tommy,

I don't know the Silverbacks, was just quoting a remark in the review.

I am driving Magico V3's with my E-600. (A lot harder to drive then the Silverbacks) and am very happy with it, absolutely no listening fatigue.

Have fun finding the right amplifier.

Olaf
Old 12-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Hi,

I think this thread will help me in a decision involving these two brands. I am a current owner of a Accuphase E-560. I´m very happy with it. However, I am always listening to dealer's offers. My dealer offered me an "upgrade" to Burmester 082. Would this deal give me a substantial gain in performance to drive my Wilson Audio Sashas?
As I said, I´m happy with the E-560. I only would consider changing it for a substantial gain in sound quality.

Thanks,

Renato

Obs.: Another dealer offered me a deal to get the Dan D'agostino momentum power amplifier in exchange of my E-560 and an amount of money. I am also owner of a Krell 707 evolution and I would use it as preamplifier with the momentum. The investment here would be much bigger than the first one. The best solution for me to obtain substantial gain in sound quality would be investments in pre/power?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Life is beautiful

Hi Renato,

I have heard the Momentum monoblocks, own the 082, and have done some testing of the Accuphase E-560.
I don't think the Burmester will offer you much more than the Accuphase. It will be a bit different, but not a real step up.
The Momentum will improve your system by quite a margin, but I guess your wallet will suffer...
With the 707, it should work fine.
I haven't heard the combination, but Serge (PHC1), a member here with a great system, has the Momentum monos driven by a Krell S-1200 processor and is very happy.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 AM

Thank you, bart. As I said, it will be very difficult for me to think in another amplifier. I would have to spend a lot of money and I don´t know if the results would worth the investments. However, I'm always listening to offers and studing possibilities to have a better system.

Best regards,

Renato