AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 01-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Default New Audioquest hyper-speaker cables are coming

I guess they found a way to beat my AQ Wels speaker cables... let’s see what they come up with. I’m ready to pass out when they reveal the prices. Maybe I’ll have a hot coffee in hand so I burn myself too.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Where did you read or hear about them?

Are you certain they'll be priced more than the WEL cables?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 01-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Where did you read or hear about them?

Are you certain they'll be priced more than the WEL cables?
That’s just my prediction given the pricing for recent Storm series power cords.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:57 PM

I don't think the storm series are really priced much higher than the older line, if you look at metal quality/content. I mean if we speculate that the Dragon has at least as much (or very close to as much) PSS silver as an old WEL NRG, and adds the extra metal in as PSC+ copper, its pricing is basically in line (looking at their per-ft pricing formulas from the old PDF). Unfortunately they haven't published wire gauges on the new series, so of course this is speculation. But I can't imagine they'd put less total silver content in a 1m Dragon than a 1m WEL NRG. And look at the Hurricane -- it's priced pretty close to the NRG 1000 formula, if you factor in 2x the per-ft cost for double the PSC+ metal (again, speculating).

Now the question is whether they'll go even bigger than 9 AWG in the new speaker cables. But 9 AWG is already pretty ridiculous. By comparison, the old NRG series at 13 AWG was extremely undersized versus the competition.

The real problem for us working-class mortals is that killer used deals on the new cables lines will probably be extremely rare for a long while. I'm very happy with my collection, though. I'm especially fine with my double-Kilimanjaro biwire, 9 AWG PSS silver, on speakers.

Last edited by mulveling; 01-03-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM

I hear ya but that’s speculating there is more metal in the storm series.

I will be hard pressed to move from my wel speaker cables. An 8ft single biwire like mine? I ain’t paying 30k for marginal improvement. I can create an entirely new stereo system for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I don't think the storm series are really priced much higher than the older line, if you look at metal quality/content. I mean if we speculate that the Dragon has at least as much (or very close to as much) PSS silver as an old WEL NRG, and adds the extra metal in as PSC+ copper, its pricing is basically in line (looking at their per-ft pricing formulas from the old PDF). Unfortunately they haven't published wire gauges on the new series, so of course this is speculation. But I can't imagine they'd put less total silver content in a 1m Dragon than a 1m WEL NRG. And look at the Hurricane -- it's priced pretty close to the NRG 1000 formula, if you factor in 2x the per-ft cost for double the PSC+ metal (again, speculating).

Now the question is whether they'll go even bigger than 9 AWG in the new speaker cables. But 9 AWG is already pretty ridiculous. By comparison, the old NRG series at 13 AWG was extremely undersized versus the competition.

The real problem for us working-class mortals is that killer used deals on the new cables lines will probably be extremely rare for a long while. I'm very happy with my collection, though. I'm especially fine with my double-Kilimanjaro biwire, 9 AWG PSS silver, on speakers.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I hear ya but that’s speculating there is more metal in the storm series.

I will be hard pressed to move from my wel speaker cables. An 8ft single biwire like mine? I ain’t paying 30k for marginal improvement. I can create an entirely new stereo system for that price.
Yep, same here, the list prices (or anything even close to that) on the top-of-the-line cables aren't anywhere near worth it from my position. But I'm amazed when I see other brand cables that make top AQ stuff look like a bargain...e.g. $30K list cables that look like they were made by some kid, and with no real idea of exactly what quality of metal is inside. The current AQ cables have a superb fit & finish, and they look really good connected to gear (little if any cable management is necessary), not like garbage. And of course the sound is extremely detailed, open, and tonally neutral.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Yep, same here, the list prices (or anything even close to that) on the top-of-the-line cables aren't anywhere near worth it from my position. But I'm amazed when I see other brand cables that make top AQ stuff look like a bargain...e.g. $30K list cables that look like they were made by some kid, and with no real idea of exactly what quality of metal is inside. The current AQ cables have a superb fit & finish, and they look really good connected to gear (little if any cable management is necessary), not like garbage. And of course the sound is extremely detailed, open, and tonally neutral.
I agree 100%.

I don't know how much better it can get than my WELs... honestly. And I don't find the desire to find out because to move up to the Wel 2 or whatever they want to call it, I am not spending $30,000 to move to the newer version for a marginal difference.

Going from 12g copper wire from home depot to AQ WEL was fantastic. Going from AQ WEL to WEL2? Nah.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM

I think their interconnects and loudspeaker cables are as good as they get and I sincerely believe that Storm series appeared only as a necessity. Their power cables and their digital cables are not as good as their analogue cables. At least this is what I feel/hear/think.
So I have to say that as far as I'm concerned there is no need for better speaker cables or let me put it another way: they shouldn't be a priority for AQ. Just my 2 cents!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:20 PM

I couldn't help it... I've bought myself a Hurricane! Traded in the NRG-1000...

P.S. What about the carbon DBS? Is it stock for some cables? Do you have to buy it? Only the black ones come as stock with the power cables? Did anyone listen to both of them one next to the other?
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM

What are your thoughts on the Hurricane?