AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 01-25-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettelsm View Post
Some wise man said, “Life is what happens while you are making plans”. Too true.

But finally, I’ve had some time to mount and align my brand new Grado Aeon cartridge. It’s a little more challenging than the Dynavector XV1-S because the Aeon’s cantilever and stylus is tucked completely underneath the cartridge body, rather than having a long cantilever sticking way out in front in the open, like the Dyna.

However, the cartridge is deliberately constructed with square sides and front edge specifically to aid alignment. Setting up the cart with the VPI alignment protractor was pretty easy. Some backlighting behind the cartridge helps to see the stylus. I set VTF at 1.8 grams (1.5-1.9 grams recommended).

How does it sound?

With not even 3 hours on the new cartridge, it sounds truly special. Voices are already more lifelike and natural with the Aeon compared to the XV1-S. In fact, I’d say the Aeon makes the Dyna sound kind of “hifi”, while the Grado sounds more like real music. I’m already hearing nuances and low-level information that I didn’t know existed on familiar records. And this thing is dynamic as all get out — snare drum rim shots and cymbal crashes are whiplash quick and capture all metallic snap and brassy ring of the real thing.

I am already smiling as I listen to favorite LPs with the Aeon. If it continues to improve as it breaks in, and I’m sure it will, I am going to be absolutely delirious with joy.

Thanks very much Ivan!

More to come,

Steve
Steve,

Would you say the Grado is more romantic than the Dynavector with better timbre and nuanced detail? I have a XX-2 MK2 that I used for many years and now as a back up. I always thought that cart was very revealing leaning towards over analytical. I wanted more of a romantic sound with all the detail. Looking forward to hearing more of your feedback.
Listening Room – MC2301s, C2300, VPI Prime Sig. Rosewood, w/Fatboy 10” Tonearm, SDS, Periphery Ring, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Sutherland LittleLOCO Mk2, Harbeth SHL5, Skylan Stands, Synergistic Research: Record Clamp, PowerCell SX, Active Ground Block, Galileo Discovery PCs, Atmosphere X Euphoria ICs, Phono and Speaker Cables, GIK Impression Series Diffusers and Acoustimac DMD Panels, CA Double Matrix Pro Sonic RCM

Theater Room - 7.2.4, Marantz SR7012 & MM7025, Klipsch: RF-7 III, RP-450C, RP-160M, R-112SW Atmos: CDT 5800-CII, Sunfire True EQ Sub, Samsung 75” Q60R QLED 4K UHD TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray, VPI Scoutmaster, Clearaudio Maestro, Cambridge Audio 640P, PS Audio PPP

Office - Fisher 500C, Denon DP-59L, Audio Technica AT14S Cartridge, Bluesound NODE, Acoustic Research AR-3a, Technics RS 1500

Vintage System - Pioneer SX 1980, Jolida JD100 CD, JBL Studio Monitors 4425

Semper Fidelis Teufel Hunden
Old 01-25-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Very nice, at the risk of saying one thing...

You truly need a Stillpoints LPI Clamp. The difference will Amaze you!

I happen to know a guy...
I hear you, Ivan. I’ve been thinking for some time I need to experiment with something other than the VPI clamp.

You like the Stillpoints clamp better than the HRS clamps?

Steve

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarSanz View Post
Steve,

Would you say the Grado is more romantic than the Dynavector with better timbre and nuanced detail? I have a XX-2 MK2 that I used for many years and now as a back up. I always thought that cart was very revealing leaning towards over analytical. I wanted more of a romantic sound with all the detail. Looking forward to hearing more of your feedback.
I would say the Grado definitely gives you all the detail of the XV1-S and then some. I am hearing nuances and a depth of texture on familiar LPs that I’ve never heard from the Dynavector, yet the Aeon never sounds analytical. It is the most natural sounding cartridge I’ve ever heard.

I had a friend over today for a day of listening to music. He’s an experienced audiophile and he’s heard my current system with the XV1-S. His reaction to the Grado Aeon was priceless.

You’ve heard the expression, “jaw-dropping”? He literally sat there with his mouth open in disbelief from the first needle-drop and when he finally spoke his first words were to the effect, “You’ve GOT to be kidding me! That is so much better than your Dynavector!”

I agree with him completely. My XV1-S, while I’d never before thought of it as excessively analytical, definitely sounds hi-fi compared to the Aeon’s very natural, very beautiful and very detailed sound.

I’m not one to throw recommendations around, but I would unhesitatingly urge anyone with an interest in cartridges in this price range to go out of their way to hear a Grado Aeon.

I can only imagine what the Epoch sounds like!

I hope this helps.

Steve

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I would say the Grado definitely gives you all the detail of the XV1-S and then some. I am hearing nuances and a depth of texture on familiar LPs that I’ve never heard from the Dynavector, yet the Aeon never sounds analytical. It is the most natural sounding cartridge I’ve ever heard.

I had a friend over today for a day of listening to music. He’s an experienced audiophile and he’s heard my current system with the XV1-S. His reaction to the Grado Aeon was priceless.

You’ve heard the expression, “jaw-dropping”? He literally sat there with his mouth open in disbelief from the first needle-drop and when he finally spoke his first words were to the effect, “You’ve GOT to be kidding me! That is so much better than your Dynavector!”

I agree with him completely. My XV1-S, while I’d never before thought of it as excessively analytical, definitely sounds hi-fi compared to the Aeon’s very natural, very beautiful and very detailed sound.

I’m not one to throw recommendations around, but I would unhesitatingly urge anyone with an interest in cartridges in this price range to go out of their way to hear a Grado Aeon.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Thanks for the impression Steve, this sounds like my kind of cartridge, I prefer a more natural sound with all the details as well. Here we go again! SMH!
Listening Room – MC2301s, C2300, VPI Prime Sig. Rosewood, w/Fatboy 10” Tonearm, SDS, Periphery Ring, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Sutherland LittleLOCO Mk2, Harbeth SHL5, Skylan Stands, Synergistic Research: Record Clamp, PowerCell SX, Active Ground Block, Galileo Discovery PCs, Atmosphere X Euphoria ICs, Phono and Speaker Cables, GIK Impression Series Diffusers and Acoustimac DMD Panels, CA Double Matrix Pro Sonic RCM

Theater Room - 7.2.4, Marantz SR7012 & MM7025, Klipsch: RF-7 III, RP-450C, RP-160M, R-112SW Atmos: CDT 5800-CII, Sunfire True EQ Sub, Samsung 75” Q60R QLED 4K UHD TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray, VPI Scoutmaster, Clearaudio Maestro, Cambridge Audio 640P, PS Audio PPP

Office - Fisher 500C, Denon DP-59L, Audio Technica AT14S Cartridge, Bluesound NODE, Acoustic Research AR-3a, Technics RS 1500

Vintage System - Pioneer SX 1980, Jolida JD100 CD, JBL Studio Monitors 4425

Semper Fidelis Teufel Hunden
Old 01-25-2020, 10:59 PM

You are very welcome. I’m always happy to help a kindred spirit spend their money!

And if you decide on an Aeon, Ivan will definitely treat you right.

Steve

Old 01-25-2020, 11:04 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
I hear you, Ivan. I’ve been thinking for some time I need to experiment with something other than the VPI clamp.

You like the Stillpoints clamp better than the HRS clamps?

Steve
Hands down yes.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-26-2020, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Hands down yes.
Thank you for that, Ivan. We’ll talk soon!

Steve

Old 01-26-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I hope this helps.

Steve
Steve - Congrats again, sounds like you definitely made the right move with Ivan's coaching! I'd be interested in knowing how you have the cartridge loaded with your Momentum phono stage as well as gain setting compared to how you had it configured with the Dynavector. TIA and I hope you continue to enjoy the Grado for many years of pleasurable listening!
Old 01-26-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Steve - Congrats again, sounds like you definitely made the right move with Ivan's coaching! I'd be interested in knowing how you have the cartridge loaded with your Momentum phono stage as well as gain setting compared to how you had it configured with the Dynavector. TIA and I hope you continue to enjoy the Grado for many years of pleasurable listening!
Hi Bill,

Thanks very much.

My Dynavector XV1-S used one of the Momentum’s MC inputs and I settled on 200 ohms for loading, -4dB gain, giving a net 66dB gain. Previously with my Pass XP-27 phono amp 160 ohms loading seemed optimum, so I’d suspect something in the range of 150-250 ohms would work well with most samples of XV1-S. Of course, this is also subject to one’s taste and would also be related to how close one is to optimum stylus rake angle (SRA).

For the Grado Aeon with its higher output I’m running it into one of the Momentum’s MM inputs. So far with the very low hours on the cartridge I’ve stayed with the recommended 47K ohm loading and gain is set to +3dB for a total of 53dB gain overall.

After I get more hours on the cartridge I’ll revisit the loading after I double-check the rest of my alignment and VTF.

One of the nice unintended consequences of using one of the Momentum’s MM inputs is that the noise floor is even lower than the already super-quiet MC inputs, at least with my system and grounding scheme.

Something else I’ve noticed in the last day or two — as some reviewers have said, the Aeon is preternaturally quiet in the groove. However, it will let one know all about the condition of one’s vinyl as well as the pressing quality — non-fill, tape hiss, subway rumble under Walthamstow Hall, and even lathe rumble.

Certainly not to an objectionable degree and anyway, I’d rather have all the music than leave something in the groove.

Best regards,

Steve

Old 01-26-2020, 08:43 PM

The Grado Aeon certainly sounds like an enticing cartridge! Its 1mV output and 47K recommended loading are not very typical and might present matching issues with some phono stages, but your Momentum seems to be able to accommodate it very well into its MM input. Many phono stages would require use of their MM input to achieve a 47K load but MM gain typically being around 40dB might be too low. Glad that it's proving to be such a good choice in your setup!