AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM

Toccata, very nice system! Enjoy!

While I have not heard the Sabrina yet, I would be shocked if they sound as bad as you say. I've owned Sophia II, Sophia III, Sashas and Alexias and they all sounded superb. Truly world class speakers and I've also owned many other fine brands over the years so I do have a frame of reference. Wilson, like many other speakers, perhaps even more so with some models need a very careful setup but they sound fantastic when set up properly.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:42 PM

He had all sorts of problems with the music server he was using (I would have preferred a CD/SACD/LP...), so maybe the problem was with it. The sound was closer to bad mono than state of the art stereo! I see that the Sabrinas won a "Golden Ear" award in the new issue of The Absolute Sound. I know Wilson is a huge advertiser, but I can't imagine TAS would overlook such horrid sound!

Now back to my wonderful system...
Old 08-14-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
He had all sorts of problems with the music server he was using (I would have preferred a CD/SACD/LP...), so maybe the problem was with it. The sound was closer to bad mono than state of the art stereo! I see that the Sabrinas won a "Golden Ear" award in the new issue of The Absolute Sound. I know Wilson is a huge advertiser, but I can't imagine TAS would overlook such horrid sound!

Now back to my wonderful system...
Yeah, possibly that was the reason. I've heard quite a few Wilson set ups, some were obviously displaying better synergy component wise and better set up but I've never heard a Wilson set up that was truly bad. Yes, enjoy your system! Job well done.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 PM

When a speaker or other component (but especiaaly speakers I think) that has been universally praised in the audio press ( such as Sabrinas, 802/803, Olympica, Raidho, etc.) sounds really bad in a dealer audition I always assume something is wrong with the setup. Dealers are often their own worst enemy. As an example, I recently did several auditions of the 803D3 at various dealers, all with very similar Mac electronics. At one dealer they were one of the very best speakers I have ever heard. Truly extraordinary in every way. At another dealer they sounded quite thick and muddy, and I preferred the Focal Sopra by a wide margin. At yet another dealer they sounded dreadful. Unlike you, I decided I had to ask the sales guy what was up. After checking everything out for many minutes he discovered they were connected out of polarity. He fixed them and they sounded good again, but nothing like the briliance of the first audition. So, what to do? How to make a buying decision? Start with components that garner universal acclaim, do several auditions, and roll the dice. If you dont like them in your home any decent dealrr will allow you to return them. My point is that there is likely nothing "wrong" with Wilson Sabrinas. Its far more likely the dealer had some setup issues.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Life is beautiful

John, just like Venere, I've heard speakers perform extremely well, and extremely lousy.
I've heard Sophias with an integrated, and they sounded wonderful.
And I've heard Alexandrias with uberamps, and the result was disappointing.
You can only judge for yourself in your own system.
But hey, if it ain't broke...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-17-2016, 12:40 PM

John,

I love your system. Terrific choices on all equipment. The finish on the Dali's is gorgeous. Well done!
Old 09-17-2016, 10:01 PM

John, beautiful system and outstanding choices in your components. Congratulations!

Are you using the stock feet on your SVS Ultra 13 sub or did it come with the upgraded SVS Sound Path Sub Isolation System feet? I upgraded my Paradigm subwoofer feet with the SVS Sound Path ones and they were very effective, isolating and cutting the floor vibrations I was getting with my stock sub feet.

Last edited by Steady339; 09-17-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:50 PM

Well as both Venere and bart, i have had the same experience even at the same dealer.
I went for a Demo of Focal Sopra No.3 and the Naim Statement system and streamer (presentation in Denmark ) it went on in a hotel and sounded amazingly good, giving me goosebombs....they then sent me to a dealer nearby for listening to Sopra No.2 which is better for my room size, and that sounded well, disappointing the electronic was also Naim but much cheaper. Went home thinking that it might not really be me at all, Then came an opportunity to hear some Chord cable demo at the same dealer and i went there again...they played the demo with Sopra No.2 and a better Naim amp and streamer, and wouu again it was so much better.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:49 PM

Dali's look superb. Is that ZVOX soundbase?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:56 PM

Toccata, I zoomed in and confirmed it's indeed ZVOX. Last week I heard them in a show and was amazed by their sound quality, so planning to get them. What model you have and what is your impression, please?