AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
I enjoyed reading these, certainly controversy.

Now, even though the spectrograph showed noise well above hearing, and the PCM had less, would any of us be able to tell?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
I think that is a good question and I believe Mark is trying to point out that DSD is not in fact technically superior than PCM even though some are presenting it as such.

james

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 09-18-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Thanks for the links. Much appreciated!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 PM

Whether DSD is technically superior or not is irrelevant. If music files for sale are in DSD format then the BDP needs to play them, and the BDA needs to support them.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 AM

There's an article in positive feedback from a recording engineer and artist about his experiences with DSD. Spoiler alert - they love DSD.

But then positive feedback is usually quite pro DSD.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Whether DSD is technically superior or not is irrelevant. If music files for sale are in DSD format then the BDP needs to play them, and the BDA needs to support them.
Exactly. It's all about a product meeting customer needs. At this point, if I were shopping for a DAC, and it did not support DSD, I simply would not buy it. Period, end of story.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Exactly. It's all about a product meeting customer needs. At this point, if I were shopping for a DAC, and it did not support DSD, I simply would not buy it. Period, end of story.
I understand the need for capability.

Have you heard more than a hand full if albums, not originally in PCM, that are in the DSD format? Rhetoric - there are so few, it's hard to invest, even as a consumer , in technology at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
I think that is a good question and I believe Mark is trying to point out that DSD is not in fact technically superior than PCM even though some are presenting it as such.

james
Actually Jim, Mark does have a vested interest in PCM regardless of his statement to the contrary. He owns a recording company that sells d/l PCM based software. So I would hesitate to call him unbiased.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Have you heard more than a hand full if albums, not originally in PCM, that are in the DSD format? Rhetoric - there are so few, it's hard to invest, even as a consumer , in technology at this time.

DSD was already a major archiving format even before SACD came into being in the late 80's. Sony/Philips needed a physical delivery format to counter the then emerging DVD-Audio, fearing that their CD format might be eclipsed. They used something at hand and rushed SACD out.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:

I think the new Sony media player and the tie up with the SuperHirez online store are all signs that things are moving in the right direction for more DSD material.

Am kinda regretting paying 200 bucks for the Mariah Carey SACD now
Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
Actually Jim, Mark does have a vested interest in PCM regardless of his statement to the contrary. He owns a recording company that sells d/l PCM based software. So I would hesitate to call him unbiased.
Hi Myles

I agree we all have a bias which supports our views and decisions or our business interests but I think offering those opposing points of views (bias) makes for a more informed customer.

I also agree that we at Bryston will probably have to address this DSD issue in our products due to market forces but touting DSD as some kind of Holly Grail is wrong in my opinion and it increases the confusion in the marketplace which is not good for our industry - just think VHS Vs Beta! DSD is just another music carrier available to the engineer at hand with its own set of plus and minus aspects.

My $0.02

james