AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM

I could have kept the WA6 and been very happy for many many years. The WA6 is, perhaps, the sweet spot in the Woo line. The WA6 is not extremely spendy and there are many inexpensive tube rolling options. I did some rolling with my WA6 without throwing crazy money at tubes. At $13 each, from Antique Electronic Supply, I felt that the Valve Art 274b was a pretty good rectifier, that same supplier offers many, very reasonably priced, power tube options. I never really ABd the WA6 with the WA2. With capacitor upgrades and tube upgrades my WA2 cost 3 times my WA6. I think that the WA2 is better resolving, has greater grip on the music and has a tube magic that is really wonderful to listen to for hours on end. I have done a fair amount of rolling with my WA2. As I type and listen at this moment my amp is running the stock rectifiers, Matsushita 7dj8 driver tubes and Tung Sol 7236 power tubes. I think that you’ll enjoy any choice that you make from the Woo line.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Cool

I went for the WA22 going fully balanced to the Audeze LCD3. I totally bypassed my pre-amp and am running balanced directly out of the Squeezebox Transporter's DAC. I upgraded to the Sophia Princess rectifier tube. Don't know if it made it sound any better but it sure does look cool.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM

I just ordered a Woo electrostatic adapter to mate with an amp. Should be interesting and better than the old cheesy Stax adapters......

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM

Thanks guys for all the input. I am really leaning towards the WA6-SE with the updates as follows.

I am pretty sure I will add these upgrades too.

Rectifier tube upgrade Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B
and the
Drive/Power tube
A matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 plus one pair of 6GL7->6DE7 Teflon tube adapters

Also still not sure on black or silver. But leaning Black.

The HD700 are easy to drive and I think their slight weakness is noted by many in the attack of the HD700. The WA6-SE per Mr. Woo is said to be a tad less warmer than the WA2 but has a faster attack. So I am thinking this will maybe be a better fit for me on the 700's. Also I do still own HD650s still and I am sure any of these amps will more than drive my cans very well. I am sure it comes down to taste.

It would be great if there was an option to have 3-4 amps in my home for a week or so and run then with my 700s to see what I best prefer. So I am am trying my best to go not just from specs but feedback from others as well as what Mr. Woo has said to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa6se-3.jpg (52.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg wa6se-8.jpg (48.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Black!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
Thanks guys for all the input. I am really leaning towards the WA6-SE with the updates as follows.

I am pretty sure I will add these upgrades too.

Rectifier tube upgrade Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B
and the
Drive/Power tube
A matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 plus one pair of 6GL7->6DE7 Teflon tube adapters

Also still not sure on black or silver. But leaning Black.

The HD700 are easy to drive and I think their slight weakness is noted by many in the attack of the HD700. The WA6-SE per Mr. Woo is said to be a tad less warmer than the WA2 but has a faster attack. So I am thinking this will maybe be a better fit for me on the 700's. Also I do still own HD650s still and I am sure any of these amps will more than drive my cans very well. I am sure it comes down to taste.

It would be great if there was an option to have 3-4 amps in my home for a week or so and run then with my 700s to see what I best prefer. So I am am trying my best to go not just from specs but feedback from others as well as what Mr. Woo has said to me.
Sounds like a good plan and a very nice setup, and the Sophia adds a beautiful glow in a dark room. By the way, I noticed I misspelled Jack's name in my last post. It's Jack Wu, even though the company is Woo.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger and placed an order for the WA6-SE in black.

Upgraded the tubes
Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier
Matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 plus one pair of 6GL7->6DE7 Teflon tube adapters

should really make the HD700's and even the HD650's sing now
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger and placed an order for the WA6-SE in black.

Upgraded the tubes

That's great man, you will enjoy it!!

Last edited by harri009; 04-15-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Upgraded the tubes

Congrats and Looking forward to your impressions Dave. I have been curious about Woo headphone amps myself.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Will do, thanks guys!

Last edited by djwhog; 04-15-2013 at 03:58 PM.