AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 AM

I would love to see some smaller brothers to the Orangutans, and a bit more affordable
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSea View Post
I would love to see some smaller brothers to the Orangutans, and a bit more affordable
Although we are getting off topic a bit -

Yes, I understand that John DeVore will be developing a total of three versions in the Orangutan series, at some point. The O/96 (the current model) is due to be positioned in the middle of the lineup once the other two models become available.

-Matt
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 PM

Default Devore

That sounds great
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Can any of you orangutan owners offer some more input on these speakers? While I don't have a Shinto set up, I do have a leben. Would love to read more... Thanks

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado
This was a little over a year ago?!?!

No Shindo gear Franklin?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hello folks,

I noticed that, while saying that Shindo gear makes you forget the gear, you're almost all into upgrades all the time, like the other audiophiles here. So, you're still looking for "better sound". What is missing then ?

I understand tnat Matt's full trade in value help a lot for that ( how does this guy earn money ? ), but still, I find a bit controversial the permanent upgrade / change path for people who say that they found at last the Music they love and can finally forget the gear.....

Don't want to be polemic at all. Just curious to have your feelings about that.
Jerome,

To bring this thread full circle, i.e. back to it's original question, I will chime in by saying Shindo doesn't make you forget the gear. Maybe it makes you forget wanting OTHER gear--but hearing the Masseto will definitely make you curious about what a Giscours could do being two bumps up the Shindo ladder. In fact, whenever I have experienced a Shindo upgrade, it triggers that obsessive audiophile gene (that you're intimating Shindo represses) that screams, "I want more!" And darn it, there is more, unless you have the Big Latours, the Petrus, the WE 300B Ltd, etc. in your listening room.

I saw a cartoon recently showing two down and out bums, one saying to the other, "What ruined me was hearing a difference between audio components." Or something to that effect.

There is no cure for audiophile blues.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindostevesan View Post

Jerome,

To bring this thread full circle, i.e. back to it's original question, I will chime in by saying Shindo doesn't make you forget the gear. Maybe it makes you forget wanting OTHER gear--but hearing the Masseto will definitely make you curious about what a Giscours could do being two bumps up the Shindo ladder. In fact, whenever I have experienced a Shindo upgrade, it triggers that obsessive audiophile gene (that you're intimating Shindo represses) that screams, "I want more!" And darn it, there is more, unless you have the Big Latours, the Petrus, the WE 300B Ltd, etc. in your listening room.

I saw a cartoon recently showing two down and out bums, one saying to the other, "What ruined me was hearing a difference between audio components." Or something to that effect.

There is no cure for audiophile blues.
I think Jerome found out the answer for himself.

But it is silly ... We just get acclimated to a higher standard. And then your expectations are higher again...

Last edited by Freestone; 02-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
I think Jerome found out the answer for himself.

But it is silly ... We just get acclimated to a higher standard. And then your expectations are higher again...
It's a classic case of the HEDONIC TREADMILL.

As hobbies/obsessions go, audio (and upgraditis) a relatively harmless one and even enjoyable - as long as one has the money to indulge in it without sacrificing other important things in life.

Alberto
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post

It's a classic case of the HEDONIC TREADMILL.

As hobbies/obsessions go, audio (and upgraditis) a relatively harmless one and even enjoyable - as long as one has the money to indulge in it without sacrificing other important things in life.

Alberto
Thanks Alberto. That's interesting.

The worst part though - when you say harmless - is if you feel bad that you could/should put the money to helping others out less fortunate. Or if it creates friction with your significant other, who doesn't appreciate it, as happened with Jerome (and me too). I admire that you are well balanced, positive and keep things in such good perspective. A model to us all.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
Thanks Alberto. That's interesting.

The worst part though - when you say harmless - is if you feel bad that you could/should put the money to helping others out less fortunate. Or if it creates friction with your significant other, who doesn't appreciate it, as happened with Jerome (and me too). I admire that you are well balanced, positive and keep things in such good perspective. A model to us all.
Richard,

I'm just following the Shindo threads with one eye but I have to say something here.
1/ you always can do BOTH : allowing to yourself pleasures, gifts, rewards, and not forget others and support the ones in need. No reason to feel "guilty" whatsoever. You worked hard. You did not rob anyone. You deserve your gifts.
2/ My wife, as most of them, probably including yours, ahev nothing against what I spend actually. She does not care about that. We have the means. Good for us.
The point she makes and the point that talks to me is that "upgraditis" makes us spend a lot of time and energy ( it is not only about money ), instead of caring about our own life and real treasures.

Ciao friends,
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Jerome

Yes there is a distinction. Good point on upgraditus.

My wife does question the effect of spending, of whether its good for the soul. Things own you after a while. I do want fewer things but high quality ones. I want less square feet not more. I want to invest in experiences. I justify an expensive system as music is an experience but I am kidding myself a little - but I like high quality ...

See you in Paris in a few months when I go back? Glass of Bordeaux?

Last edited by Freestone; 02-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.