AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've always thought of you as a wood cartridge body kind of guy.... I'm pretty sure there are alternatives to the pretty expensive soundsmith solution for the 103R.
I'm actually an MM boy - the wood is a nice plus. But having a Shindo MC phono stage in the Monbrison makes me want to give MC another shot. Especially now that I know the Cortese will handle whatever peakiness in MCs I don't like make with aplomb.

I swear at times I think I am listening to vinyl when I have a CD on the MDA1000 instead. I am getting zero fatigue and edginess from my system, so I think it may be safe to dip my sonic toes in the MC waters again. But I am in no real hurry.

Alberto
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I'm actually an MM boy - the wood is a nice plus. But having a Shindo MC phono stage in the Monbrison makes me want to give MC another shot. Especially now that I know the Cortese will handle whatever peakiness in MCs I don't like make with aplomb.

I swear at times I think I am listening to vinyl when I have a CD on the MDA1000 instead. I am getting zero fatigue and edginess from my system, so I think it may be safe to dip my sonic toes in the MC waters again. But I am in no real hurry.

Alberto
I can't imagine that you would have problems with an MC with Shindo. The 103R is a great bang for the buck but don't expect ultra smooth response for the price, the Shindo gear makes it perfectly listenable though and I actually enjoy the 103R very much right now, even with the low mass tonearm of my Technics table.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I'm actually an MM boy - the wood is a nice plus. But having a Shindo MC phono stage in the Monbrison makes me want to give MC another shot.
Alberto
Quote:
I can't imagine that you would have problems with an MC with Shindo.
Alberto,
If you're considering wood-bodied cartridges, the Koetsu Urushi Vermilion is an superb wood-bodied Koetsu with an Urushi lacquer. Incredible detail, imaging, and tonal accuracy and richness without a hint of glare, edge or hardness. An absolutely amazing and sweet, sweet musical cartridge, and one I would expect would go superbly with Shindo gear.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Alberto,
If you're considering wood-bodied cartridges, the Koetsu Urushi Vermilion is an superb wood-bodied Koetsu with an Urushi lacquer. Incredible detail, imaging, and tonal accuracy and richness without a hint of glare, edge or hardness. An absolutely amazing and sweet, sweet musical cartridge, and one I would expect would go superbly with Shindo gear.
Price check in isle 2 please... How much is a Koetsu Urushi Vermillion???
Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Price check in isle 2 please... How much is a Koetsu Urushi Vermillion???
I bought mine used for $1800; new they are $5175 or thereabouts from Needle Doctor.

I should qualify this by saying that if I had to buy a new one at $5K, I would still do so without hesitation. It's THAT good....

I know it may seem like a lot for a "little thing" like a cartridge, but for what this can do for you in terms of fully engaging you in the musical experience...well, let's just say it would do considerably more in that respect than a $4000 rack would, just to put things into perspective (not that we shouldn't have beautiful racks! ).

My audio buddy Gregory said that a really fine cartridge will ruin you for a lesser cartridge. He's right, I'm pretty much ruined for a lesser cartridge now.

When I got my CT-5, he said, "Dude, you should have gotten a Koetsu". I subsequently got the Vermilion after that, but if it came down to $5k for a used CT-5 preamp or staying with my Premier 17 and getting a new Urushi Vermilion, well, I'd get...the Koetsu.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-05-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I bought mine used for $1800; new they are $5175 or thereabouts from Needle Doctor.

I should qualify this by saying that if I had to buy a new one at $5K, I would still do so without hesitation. It's THAT good....

I know it may seem like a lot for a "little thing" like a cartridge, but for what this can do for you in terms of fully engaging you in the musical experience...well, let's just say it would do a helluva lot more in that than a $4000 rack would, just to put things into perspective (not that we shouldn't have beautiful racks...).

Just to put this in perspective, my audio buddy Gregory said that a really fine cartridge will ruin you for a lesser cartridge. Well, he's right, I'm pretty much ruined for anything less. When I got my CT-5, he said, "Dude, you should have gotten a Koetsu". I subsequently got the Vermilion after that, but if it came down to $5k for a used CT-5 preamp or a new Vermilion, I'd get...the Koetsu.
I was joking of course. I have heard nothing but praise for Koetsu and have been meaning to give it a try. The two serious cartridges I have owned so far were the Dynavector XX2MKII and I still have a new in the box Ortofon A90 for some later project. I will definitely give Koetsu a try, I think it may fit the whole Shindo gear theme nicely. You are correct though, a rack takes less priority than a nice cartridge but I am tired of parking my gear on the floor and the glass shelves I have now are not doing my system any justice.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
I was joking of course. I have heard nothing but praise for Koetsu and have been meaning to give it a try. The two serious cartridges I have owned so far were the Dynavector XX2MKII and I still have a new in the box Ortofon A90 for some later project. I will definitely give Koetsu a try, I think it may fit the whole Shindo gear theme nicely. You are correct though, a rack takes less priority than a nice cartridge but I am tired of parking my gear on the floor and the glass shelves I have now are not doing my system any justice.
The Urushis in particular are sublime, and for someone who has Shindo gear, I can't think of a cartridge that would match your or Alberto's sensibilities more closely than an Urushi Vermilion, specifically. As you've just moved to Shindo and are enjoying it so much, my guess is you would prefer the Urushi Vermilion to the A90.

I think it would be a match made in heaven...
Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
The Urushis in particular are sublime, and for someone who has Shindo gear, I can't think of a cartridge that would match your or Alberto's sensibilities more closely than an Urushi Vermilion, specifically. As you've just moved to Shindo and are enjoying it so much, my guess is you would prefer the Urushi Vermilion to the A90.

I think it would be a match made in heaven...
That's why my A90 is still unboxed. I need to get a grasp on what table and arm will take the center stage in my system first and what the synergy will be. If I need to balance things out with a more neutral cartridge, the A90 may get some play time. I doubt I would not like the Koetsu though!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
That's why my A90 is still unboxed. I need to get a grasp on what table and arm will take the center stage in my system first and what the synergy will be. If I need to balance things out with a more neutral cartridge, the A90 may get some play time. I doubt I would not like the Koetsu though!
Serge

The A90 will sound exactly like your system, but better. If that makes sense.

Why? It is truely transparent and ever so laid back.

What I am not sure is how the A90, or any expensive cartridge would sound on your technics ??

If you system is warm, musical and inviting, the A90 will sound warm, musical and inviting. If it is mean and lean, the A90 will sound lean and mean.

All other cartridges I have heard do impart their own sound to the musical equation - clearly some less than others.

The Koetsu may be too much of a good thing, then again it may be perfect.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Serge

The A90 will sound exactly like your system, but better. If that makes sense.

Why? It is truely transparent and ever so laid back.

What I am not sure is how the A90, or any expensive cartridge would sound on your technics ??

If you system is warm, musical and inviting, the A90 will sound warm, musical and inviting. If it is mean and lean, the A90 will sound lean and mean.

All other cartridges I have heard do impart their own sound to the musical equation - clearly some less than others.

The Koetsu may be too much of a good thing, then again it may be perfect.
Shane, thanks for the A90 feedback. I really had no idea what the A90 is all about except that everyone raved about it when it came out. It was limited edition so I thought I'd grab one just in case. I'm glad I did. I was going to sell it but I think I'll hold on to it. There was no way I was going to mount it on the technics though. I'll get a nicer table/arm in the future that will do the serious cartridges more justice.