AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Member Extraordinaire

Patience is a virtue. I left an amplifier with Terry for over one year. Always have a backup

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 PM

Just got a reply from the parts department. Sorry to say that the new glass machine is still not in operation. 1,000 pieces of glass are on back order. I hope that I don't have to wait for another year.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:59 PM

Waiting for glass on my MA6900. Our cleaning lady dropped an iron on it.
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Waiting a year+ for parts and left hanging?

Although I love McIntosh, I think that is totally unacceptable behavior by a high end renowned manufacturer.

I wonder what Bryston would do in these situations.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 06-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
...Although I love McIntosh, I think that is totally unacceptable behavior by a high end renowned manufacturer...
A sentiment shared by me experiencing my own year+ wait for service on an MX121. At this point, I have written it off as a total loss and am about to buy a Marantz unit cheaply.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 PM

Try to get a face plate from any other manufacturer, even one still in production let alone for products that might be 40 years old.......sloppy shipping and packing procedures have raised the demand for replacement glass to spectacular levels. I doubt if supplying glass is a huge profit center for a manufacturer.

If you do not support your local dealer he can not afford to subsidize the money losing service center that ALL dealers have been struggling with for decades......maybe going back to the tube TV servicing days.

I can rememember decades ago sitting around the pool while down in Puerto Vallatta curtesy of B&O, while a principal of HIFI Buys out of Alanta ranting about trying to make their service departments profitable, all the while lounging on a floaty. It was quite hilarious.....Seems the only way one of their new aquired chains showed a profitable service department was only by charging the sales departments for the shortages that manufacturers would reimburse towards the actual cost of warranty repairs.

McIntosh used to demand as part of their dealer agreement that local dealers provide service.......old school dealers were used to this loss imposed on their bottom line but as their businesses failed new potential dealers refused to take on service because it was a money losing pit.

Warranty repair costs dealers money, manufactures reimburse at ridiculously low levels, how can local end users convince their local dealers to take this on?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 PM

Is there any uniquely special about the glass? Does it have any msrkings, special tint, etc?
If it is just a plain glass of specific dimensions, can you just have any local glass shop cut you a glass to the required dimensions. (I am not a MC owner as I this reply may not make any sense).
Old 06-29-2018, 06:41 AM

Back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s the glass was cut by hand and each hole was drilled. This was done by a outside contractor. A water jet was purchased in the 90s to do these steps in house.

The glass then has a three screen silk screen process to create the unique backlit nomenclature.

Correlating the wait for a speciality piece of glass broken most often by shipping incompetence and the national need for hands on service personnel is riddiculas. The lack of training for new personnel and depressed wages due to lack of profitalbility is the core problem.

This has to be solved at the local level.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_dk View Post
Back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s the glass was cut by hand and each hole was drilled. This was done by a outside contractor. A water jet was purchased in the 90s to do these steps in house.

The glass then has a three screen silk screen process to create the unique backlit nomenclature.

Correlating the wait for a speciality piece of glass broken most often by shipping incompetence and the national need for hands on service personnel is riddiculas. The lack of training for new personnel and depressed wages due to lack of profitalbility is the core problem.

This has to be solved at the local level.
McIntosh is not supplying the glass to me for free. I am more than happy to pay for the glass if only they would provide it. I do realize that other manufacturers do not provide parts for older equipment, but McIntosh is a very high end product. They have a new glass machine in house but have not put it into production yet. I hope that they will use the old machine to make the old glass.
1,000 pieces on back order!!!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:19 PM

Waiting for 10 months, a year or even 18 months for a cosmetic part for a unit out of production for 8 years is not the same as a in warranty repair for a 3 year old unit.

Correcting local service problems for local repair issues is magnitudes of greater importance a than a cosmetic piece for a expensive 10 year old toy.