AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 AM

Default C1100 Upgrade + New MC75's

I've had the C1100 for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd share my initial impressions.

Trading in the C500P was a tough decision. The 1100 was expensive and I wasn't sure it would match the synergy, poise and quietness of the C500P. The specs were impressive but I wondered how those test measurements would translate to my living room.

Would the tube signal path bring the warmth that I'd experienced with other tube equipment without sacrificing the detail of my current set up? Would the touted improvements to the phono stage and the new headphone capabilities be worth the expense to upgrade? Finally, what gains, if any, would the new amps bring over my overachieving reference MC60's? Further complicating the decision, none of the dealers in the Bay Area had one in stock or near term plans to acquire such. Still, I bought the damn thing.

The Music:

Vinyl

The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan
Strange Days & The Doors - Doors (From the Acoustic Sounds 45 Box set reissue)
Bowie at the Beeb - David Bowie box set
Lightening at the Door - All Them Witches
Faust & Carmen - Royal Opera House Orchestra

CD

Live at the Jazz Cave - Pete Christlieb
Rare Bird Alert - Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers
Giant Steps - John Coltrane

The configuration:

I disconnected my Gotham sub to try to isolate the impact of the C1100, first with the MC60's and later with the MC75's. I listened through the speakers and at various times compared that experience to listening through my Audeze LCD-X Headphones.

Visual Impressions:

The C1100 is a much better looking preamp in my opinion... Tube windows in the front and on top, the green LED's, warm-up sequence and two tone chassis all add up to an impressive visual statement. The new full featured and flat remote is also a welcome addition.

Set up:

The C1100 is a two box (isolates audio signal from power), dual mono and balanced design like the C500P. There is only one pair of RCA outputs (One less than the C500P) but there are also two balanced outputs for additional systems, sub, etc. I selected a +6 trim setting for the MC input to roughly equalize the volume with my digital sources. The HXD capability promised better imaging and the headphone amp gain is adjustable which is an awesome upgrade for my planar headphones. A capability I wish they would have added to the phono stage for low output cartridges. There are no tone controls as before.

Listening Impressions:

This is the quietest pre-amp I've owned, quieter than the 500P in fact. Remarkably, the MC phono stage introduces little in the way of background noise even at ill advised volumes, this was also true with a high volume setting without music playing.

I tried to select material with horns, piano, acoustic bass and vocals that I thought would be a relatively thorough test. A mix of contemporary alternative, classic jazz, classic rock and classical genres.

We all know that as one climbs the ladder of diminishing returns, the improvements become increasingly incremental. The C500P was already very good but certain improvements were nonetheless noticeable. On Giant steps in particular but also on Live at the Jazz Cave, the horns seemed to gain realism and a bit of texture from what I'd heard before. The speed and energy of Coltrane's play on Countdown was reproduced with detail but without any hint of grain or fatigue, just the horn as one would expect but almost as if in a live venue. The acoustic bass seemed to have more layers and dimensions than before. I've heard others reference upgrades that delivered more vinyl like qualities. This is just what seemed to be extended to these already good sounding CD's. Incremental but noticeable improvement.

Additionally, my vinyl rig has never sounded quite this good. I deliberately chose albums from my shortlist of favorites, music I'd heard many times before and was more than familiar with. If you don't have the Music Matters edition of The Sidewinder in your collection, I'd recommend it highly. Here I found that the horns sounded just a bit more real than before, no roll off, detailed as before, just a little more natural than I remembered. The strings of Bob Crenshaw's bass during his solo about midway through side one seemed to take on a more layered quality. I love the mix of quiet and loud passages throughout Faust. The bells at the beginning, the violin, the weight and power of the orchestra. All are handled with authority as before but with perhaps a more lifelike quality.

Again, these are incremental improvements that some would not find worthwhile. Others may not want to bother with the periodic hassle of tubes. I'm quite happy with the change. I'll take a break and comment about the amps and headphone support in a later installment if there's interest. Most here have new gear and I don't see much about headphones so there may not be. Back to the music.

Last edited by MCenthusiast; 08-23-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 AM

Nice write-up. Thanks. I have the C1100 on top of my list for the next upgrade, replacing the already quite good C2300.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:32 AM

I need to read more reviews like this and maybe I will upgrade from my C2300. I still like the build quality and the looks of the C1000 but you hardly ever see mint ones up for sale. I do use a my tone controls on my C2300 to ad a little +2 to the bass with some of vinyl.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Great description of the C1100. You paint more of a picture of the C1100, where I would just say I preferred the C1100 over my old C2300 and thought it was worth the upgrade. I love this new preamp.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 08-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I need to read more reviews like this and maybe I will upgrade from my C2300. I still like the build quality and the looks of the C1000 but you hardly ever see mint ones up for sale. I do use a my tone controls on my C2300 to ad a little +2 to the bass with some of vinyl.
It sounds like quite a few are on the fence about an upgrade much as I was. I also like the look and heft of the C1000 packaging but the new two tone chassis shared by all of the current designs has it's own appeal. Looks aside, I don't think there's any disputing the performance advantage of the C1100 based upon the published specs from McIntosh.

I have seen quite a few comments about the lack of tone controls on all of the two chassis designs which is intended to simplify the signal path for minimum coloration of the signal. A sub along with the C1100 might be the ultimate upgrade if that's a priority.

Last edited by MCenthusiast; 08-23-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Blown & Injected

Nice review. I believe I'm married to my C200 for several more years, but it's nice to aspire to own better gear. Your signature reminds me of a time that (6) MC60s graced my listening room - foolishly, I sold all three pair.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
Nice review. I believe I'm married to my C200 for several more years, but it's nice to aspire to own better gear. Your signature reminds me of a time that (6) MC60s graced my listening room - foolishly, I sold all three pair.
That's the great thing about McIntosh, the older products really do hold up. You'll be in good shape with that C200 until the time comes. I'm hanging on to my MC60's though, I'd miss them too much.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 AM

Very nice write up, enjoyed the comments, and seems you are very happy with your new rig, I would be too! Congrats
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM

Here are some pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MC60's.JPG (96.4 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg ListeningRoom.JPG (94.8 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 08-25-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: enlarge photos
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the pics. I always enjoy seeing other members setups and rooms. Enjoy that new C1100. Mine is in a box right now until we move into the new home.

Terry