AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 PM

Dear Dafos,
Well, I can't say it is 100% reliable as it is a rumour. But I heard info from a friend of mine who is big ARC fan. About the name 150SE, that is what I call it, I don't know the real name yet. For me, I rely so much that I might wait for it. Unless Ref75 prove it doesn't have power deficit I will buy it before year end. But If I feel I need more power, I definitely wait for this non-existence-for-now new 150 watt.
Toga
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 AM

Eagerly awaiting 'reviews' for the Ref 75. From my experience, the lower the wattage, the sweeter the sound. Let's see.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM

@Jadis, What do you mean by waiting for R75 review ? you can find it now from Hifi News, and it is available in the web now for free. Can I post a link here ?
But unprofessional review from me will be posted on Friday around 1700UTC time

I just got VOODOO 15A-20A adaptor ready to use with R75 tomorrow. Now I compare it
to Shunyata's 2X more expensive adaptor. Oh no, they sound different. Different tone.
But I can't tell which one is better.

I am sure R75 will drive Magico Q3 very well, as Q3 is louder than Sophia3 at same level on preamp. And I've seen R75 drove Sophia3 in the show.

Toga
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
@Jadis, What do you mean by waiting for R75 review ? you can find it now from Hifi News, and it is available in the web now for free. Can I post a link here ?

I just got VOODOO 15A-20A adaptor ready to use with R75 tomorrow. Now I compare it
to Shunyata's 2X more expensive adaptor. Oh no, they sound different. Different tone.
But I can't tell which one is better.

I am sure R75 will drive Magico Q3 very well, as Q3 is louder than Sophia3 at same level on preamp. And I've seen R75 drove Sophia3 in the show.

Toga
Looking forward to the review Toga, I current have a Ref110 driving S3s, but the Ref 75 intrigues me.

Thanks, Tim
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM

OK, I will post.
But one thing I have to declare. There will be something wrong in the sound which I can't tell what it is. But my Transparent speaker cable is calibrated specifically for very low output impedance of Moon amp. Don't know how will it work with tube amp that has very high output impedance. My review will based on this wrong cable.
Toga
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
OK, I will post.
But one thing I have to declare. There will be something wrong in the sound which I can't tell what it is. But my Transparent speaker cable is calibrated specifically for very low output impedance of Moon amp. Don't know how will it work with tube amp that has very high output impedance. My review will based on this wrong cable.
Toga
Just wondering why one would review an amp that is known to be mismatched to another component in the system. Seems the review would end up being of the mismatch itself, not the component one is intending to review.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Hi,
Because I have no other choice for now. Have only one cable on hand.
Who will deny if dealer offer 3 days to have Ref 75 for home audition for free.
And I do it for personal pleasure, not a formal review to print on magazine,
I want to know if I like the amp or not. That's why I have to do it.
A friend use SS tuned Opus with tube Nagra without complaining too.
Sound may not exactly as Transparent meant it to be, but definitely better than using
lesser cable, once purchase new amp, Transparent will recalibrate cable for free, can do anytime.
Besides, I guess sonic difference between two output taps could make more
sonic difference. So I think this will not be as bad mismatched review as you said.
I think when some reviewers put huge Alexandria X2 or MBL 101 X-treme into small room and
write a novel out of that, that was more suspicious review. And he used specifically tuned Transparent Ref XL
cables with various components as well, and he can write a reviews printed in a magazine selling world wide.
So please don't get too serious with this, it's a fun hobby that meant for relaxation.
Enjoy listening.
Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 10-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Toga
hi toga,

that's what i meant, reviews from members in this forum. thanks. i look forward to reading yours.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA
Hi,
Because I have no other choice for now. Have only one cable on hand.
Who will deny if dealer offer 3 days to have Ref 75 for home audition for free.
And I do it for personal pleasure, not a formal review to print on magazine,
I want to know if I like the amp or not. That's why I have to do it.
A friend use SS tuned Opus with tube Nagra without complaining too.
Sound may not exactly as Transparent meant it to be, but definitely better than using
lesser cable, once purchase new amp, Transparent will recalibrate cable for free, can do anytime.
Besides, I guess sonic difference between two output taps could make more
sonic difference. So I think this will not be as bad mismatched review as you said.
I think when some reviewers put huge Alexandria X2 or MBL 101 X-treme into small room and
write a novel out of that, that was more suspicious review. And he used specifically tuned Transparent Ref XL
cables with various components as well, and he can write a reviews printed in a magazine selling world wide.
So please don't get too serious with this, it's a fun hobby that meant for relaxation.
Enjoy listening.
Toga
Possible to get a good loaner cable from your dealer as well as the Ref 75 to avoid the cable mismatch issue?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
OK, I will post.
Toga
Toga,

I discussed this aspect with Transparent by email and they were very strict. A Reference XL cable tuned for tubes can be used with solid state amplifers, although not optimally. But a cable tuned for SS should not be used with tube amplfiiers as it will affect performance significantly.

As I wanted to have a single cable for the two types of amplifiers their advise was "get the cable tuned for tubes" .