AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Raidho,

I spend a lot of time in CH, but in Suisse Romand as I don't speak much German, especially the Swiss kind

I know of the distributor, he certainly has some of the newer cables and he has a Triton and Typhon (I have seen them at a dealer). Maybe he can provide it to the dealer for a demonstration? Even though you were not thinking of the Triton, it will give you the flavour of what the Hydra conditioners can do, and whether they will work for you.

I use Z-PC10 for pair of 250w+ mono blocks, and am very happy with them.

But the Z-PC10 is a specialty cable, meant for when the component cannot fit the larger barrel shaped IEC plug. And Shunyata cannot fit more than 11AWG into the smaller IEC.

In your case, I only have Python Alpha Helix and Anaconda CX , so can't make a specific comment on Anaconda Alpha Helix, vs Z-PC10. But in comparison to the current Alpha series and Zitron cables, they sound softer and less defined on the low end, and less open and extended in the top end. At least in my systems they do. Can vary a lot depending on equipment and quality of AC in your residence. It is hard to judge whether the extra gauge of the Anaconda will be better for your power amps than the more transparent sound from the Z-PC10. I have used the little Pass INT30A in my place, with Z-Python and Z-Anaconda, and it liked these cables a lot. The bass improved with the Anaconda, so I suspect the bigger Pass amps may be better the larger gauge cable.

In isolation (from the new range), the Alpha Helix and CX are still very fine cables. Just hard to go back to once you use the new ones. You are aware that the distributor has lowered the price of Alpha HC, by quite a lot (CHF300), as his original price was really too high. So if you are paying more than a Z-PC10 price for the 2 generation old Anaconda Alpha helix, I think that is too close to the price of Alpha HC - which will be much better.

I have not heard the Gigawatt products, although I am aware of them. The owner of Isotek has a strong connection to CH, so I am not so surprised there is plenty of products around for you to try.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 AM

Bonjour Glisse!!!,

merci de la réponse.

schwyzerdütsch is not so "easy" for a very DE man... -> same for my english..

Switzerland is a strange country: we dont have the Shuko outlet (as in DE/FR/BE/...-> all europe!) -> we have another "standard" + & - (horizontal with the ground at 45 degrees) -
- AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Spina elettrica - Wikipedia

I have a dedicated line (from house panel to the hifi room) -> here i have a shuko. (a lot of electricians do not want to mount the shuko because they say it is not legal in Switzerland. (... if you do control will remove the plug Shuko)....

electricians say just mount an adapter ...

well 230 V - 50 Hz. nominal 10A. to have a 16A is a long history but possible.
All my cables are with Shuko, "power bar" is a great piece: 10 kg. 6x - from a single piece of machined steel with a lathe
each socket wired individually (star) really professional.
Faber's Cables - Cavi speciali interconnessione audio
Faber's Power

You have AR ref 250 monobloc? what for speaker you have?

can you say the name from the dealer with the Triton/Typhon?

Alpha HC give sure a improvement in the system; especially if place from the Triton / Hydra AV to the wall and if used with the amplifier.

The Z10PC have a performance very similar at the Aplha Analog/Digital.

A used Anaconda Alpha Helix is more expensive af the Z10PC but too more performer! (I hope)

I prefer use a good cable for the preampli and the cd player & Dac and use the Z10PC for the power ampli. Pre & sources need a good cable more as the power ampli IMHO -> the cable to connect the Shunyata to the Wall is too very important (Alpha HC)

Quote:
You are aware that the distributor has lowered the price of Alpha HC, by quite a lot (CHF300), as his original price was really too high. So if you are paying more than a Z-PC10 price for the 2 generation old Anaconda Alpha helix, I think that is too close to the price of Alpha HC - which will be much better.
the Anacona used is ca. 400 euro less of a Alpha HC new.

Glisse i can have the Shunyata directly from the importer (only why Shunyata dealers are very rare: this give a plus for the price but a minus pay before and no possibility to do any test. for the cables like Alpha HC or others is not a "bg " problems.. for the distrubutors is a little different.)

A riend from my have purchased a Isoket Titan (and is a expensive gear):
he have too the Pass class A. -> very satisfied.

give me your "news".
thank you
Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM

raidho: FYI

We manufacture a CopperCONN Swiss AC connector. We can produce any of our power cables using the native power connector.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Salut Raidho - je vous en prie!

The dealer has returned the Triton and Typhon to the distributor a few months ago, it was so he could test and understand the products. He liked the Typhon a lot. I will PM you his details anyway.

Yes, it is wise of you to use a Schuko wall socket rather than the CH version, as the only CH ones I have seen are bad because there is no one to make a high quality version. A Schuko socket from a hardware store is not such good quality either.

I had not seen the Faber gear before, and it looks high quality. Oyaide sockets are nice.

I do know the Isotek products. The Titan is similar to the Shunyata Cyclops (in application, not design as they are very different), as they are for power amps. I use the Cyclops, fed with an Alpha HC, to Linn Klimax Solo 500 mono blocks via analogue versions of Z-PC10. AR250s have the opposite "problem" from the Linn amps, they need C19 IEC plugs. In this system, speakers are Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution.

I have used the Titan, and it is very good too, but in one of my other system (in the system above the Cyclops was better for me). Which might be better would depend on many different things. I can say with the Titan, the Anaconda will most definitely work better than the Z-PC10. But these products probably don't suit your system configuration, where you have one (very nice, dedicated 16A) AC line. I do think Shunyata conditioners are very hard to beat for source components.

Of course, always best to try in your own system, even if you have to pay a bit more to do so. Not so easy, I know. For me to guess on your behalf, I would use the Anaconda Alpha Helix on your Pass amps, and Z-PC10s on your preamp and your CD/DAC. Ideally, a Z-PC10 analog for the preamp and a Z-PC10 digital for the CD/DAC.

I assume you want Z-PC10 because of the lower price compared to the Alpha series, not because you need the smaller IEC or thinner/more flexible cable size.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 PM

Hi Glisse,

as write Caelin is possible have a Shunyata with the CH outlet but is not the top solution..the shuko is much better.

I prefer a Shunyata from a Isotek (and the others products available...)
better passive is better from active. is a big "declaration" but my taste...

A Hydra AV or a Triton is not a big difference in $$$. the cables are the more expensive parts from a complete chain.

Alpha digital and analog are very similar in performance at the Z10PC. The Alhpa HC make the difference.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:32 PM

with a single dedicate line recommended me a unit like the Talos/Hydra AV (of course Triton..) not a Cyclops and a Alpha for the sources....(but a alpha with the normal line bring equally improvement..)

The importer say go with the Hydra AV and Z10pc (for ampli & sources) Alpha HC to go at th wall.

A friend say me that will be better use the "better" cables for the preampli and the source. ex. the anaconda old series or Alpha Analog/Dig for the pre/cd/dac and the Z10PC for the ampli!

I start with a pair of cable. than I go with the Hydra AV or the Triton.....

Glisse -> ddevice00@gmail.com
Old 11-06-2014, 08:05 PM

I think the distributor is right in terms of the lowest cost solution. And as he is also the Pass distributor, he should know.

But for me, I would spend the money on Alpha HC upgrade for your amps rather than Z-PC10, which is way less than the difference in price between Hydra AV and Triton, which you keep saying is no big deal. Hydra AV is very good, if you want "more" later, add a Typhon.

First cable to start with should be Alpha HC from the wall, not the amps, otherwise you will not hear what the others can do
Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
raidho: FYI

We manufacture a CopperCONN Swiss AC connector. We can produce any of our power cables using the native power connector.
Yes, and it is nice that you do, as most Swiss people will use this from their wall, rather than putting in a forbidden Schuko wall socket

But Raidho is originally from Germany. So he is more of a "rebel", chasing the best sound quality