AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
Personally, I have more important things to do than compare every piece of gear to something else before buying something.
Maybe it's a cultural thing, but for me this is hard to understand.
It's like marrying a woman i never met.

The reason I started this thread was to get some info on how Shunyata's power distributors sound differ from other manufacturers.

Professional reviews i find hard to trust since every review ends with "Highly Recommended".

This is my point of view:

I have only so much money to spend on audio gear so it better be right. (The new gear has to fit perfectly with my taste and the allready present gear.)

I was introduced with Shunyata when i auditioned a new power amp.
It was Pass Labs XA-60.5, monoblocks so i needed an extra powercord to listen.
My dealer lend me the Shunyata Python CX.

I ended with not bying the amps because as wonderful and spectacular they were, they were too warm for my taste. (good example why home auditioning is so important)

I started to experiment with the Python CX powercord on my pre-amp. (ARC Ref 3)
Before that i auditioned many different brands of powercords on this pre-amp. But i never found a good match with the Ref. They all sounded different. From PS Audio to MIT to Siltech to Van den Hul. They all changed the original sound of the ARC. (they all were "Highly Recommended" on reviews and forums like this one)
Only the Shunyata made the Ref sing better without changing it.
That always stuck in my mind.

After some time (and bying an other poweramp) I thought it was time for changing my Pre-amp powercord. I was still using it's stock cord.

I auditioned Shunyata's Anaconda CX, Cobra Zitron and Pyton Zitron.
They all were "Highly Recommended" but very different. I ended up with the Python Zitron.

The point is; How can you be shure if your purchase is the right one for you without home auditioning?

And my original question:
Did anyone auditioned other power distributors before bying their Triton or Hydra?
Like PS Audio or Synergetic Research?

In other words: Did you date other women before marrying your wife?

Thanks for yet another great discussion.
Thumbs up!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Sander : I love your analogy but to me, it really could be seen both ways.

When you're in love with someone / something, why would you care for something else ?
We cannot try everything on the market.
If you find a product that fills your needs, you're done. No matter what the other products do.

Of course, normally, a minimum of experience is required to know that we made the right choice.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Did a comparo of various top brands at a dealer in Dallas. I was very impressed with Shunyata and have not looked back. Replaced all of my cables over the last couple of years with Shunyata and added a Triton last year.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Hi Ritmo:
Did your comparison include Transparent?
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 06-28-2014, 06:27 PM

No, it was a comparo of Kimber Select, Audioquest and Shunyata. Both WW and Transparent were not part of the audition.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Thanks Ritmo
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I started with a regenerator (Exact Power), based on the theory of the design. However, the BAT amp's inrush voltage on startup would blow the fuse in it. I also felt like it sounded better direct to the wall. When I upgraded my two channel cables I decided to try passive power conditioning. Again, no direct auditioning. I have been very pleased with the Shunyata's performance.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
Maybe it's a cultural thing, but for me this is hard to understand.
It's like marrying a woman i never met.

The reason I started this thread was to get some info on how Shunyata's power distributors sound differ from other manufacturers.

I'm not sure I would equate buying a piece of stereo gear to getting married. Maybe if you could easily trade-in your wife for a newer one it might make sense. 'Easily' being the key word here.

Anyway, the only comparison I care about is does it work better than what it replaces. So far, everything I have bought has been an improvement, without having to audition multiple items. Whether there is something else out there that might be better is probably inevitable, but that does not bother me. If what I purchased is letting me listen to the music better than before I am happy. Of course, I do take my time and only buy something that has been out for a year or more. This way there should be lots of chatter about it, and is is relatively easy to get a feel as to whether it performs as expected.

It is ironic that you want to compare gear before purchasing, but want others opinion on gear comparisons.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
It is ironic that you want to compare gear before purchasing, but want others opinion on gear comparisons.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking the same thing when i started this thread. Haha!

The reason is very simple. As people stated here before, it's impossible to audition every single piece of gear out there.

So i agree that the initial interest in a piece of gear starts here. Then auditioning and (i guess just in my case) comparison and finally the purchase.

It becomes clear that when you hear a piece of Shunyata gear in your system, there's no reason to look any futher.

Maybe I should have asked when i started this thread; What did your Shunyata power distributor replace? When you bought your Triton or Hydra, did you try something else before?

Thanks everybody!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Here is a naive question. If the power supply in a component stores energy and it's that energy which drives an amp at any point in time it's playing,
why is the amp affected by the instantaneous current on the line and it's noise? The picture I have in my head is that the line is charging the power supply like a battery
and the amp is playing off that energy reservoir. I know this is how a power regenerator works. But since Shunyata gear filters noise on the line and the reduces the amp noise level, I don't understand how we can hear that if the amp is running from stored energy in the power supply and not current from the line at the moment it's drawn.
Can someone straighten me out?