AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchocastro View Post
Thanks all for the quick feedback. To clarify my question: I just received the DPC-6 and installed it this weekend. I have always used a UPS to "protect" my computer and external drive from outages. My motivation has been that disks or data can be damaged in the event of a power loss. It may be that I am exaggerating the risk since power outages are not frequent where I live and I don't have the computer on unless I am listening to music. This Mac Mini is a dedicated music server and not used for other purposes. My setup prior to this weekend was Mac Mini and External HD were powered from a UPS. The UPS was connected to a Running Springs Audio power line conditioner which was fed from a Dedicated 20 amp wall plug. The rest of my system (amp, preamp, CD player and DAC) are powered from the Hydra Triton - which is also connected to the same 20 amp dedicated wall plug. This weekend I took out the Running Springs Audio power line conditioner and the UPS and connected the computer + external drive to the DPC-6. WOW! What a difference this made! Much more than I expected. So, my question to Caelin was does he use any battery backup to "protect" the computer? The answer seems to be no, and it probably is not necessary. It is also likely - as Crion mentions - that if you place a UPS between the computer and the DPC-6, that this would have a negative effect on SQ. The second part of my question is where would a UPS/Battery be placed in the chain relative to the DPC-6, I am assuming: Computer/HD connected to UPS and UPS connected to DPC-6. Hope this clarifies the question and thanks to all for your input.
OK I understand now.

Generally speaking a UPS should never be plugged into another power conditioning device. If you use one the use it exclusively. Stacking any power conditioner is usually a bad idea since it can create oscillations and harm power supply performance.

So your implied questions are: How can I protect my computer system? And then how can get optimal audio performance from the media system?

Let's answer the power protection question. I always recommend whole house surge protection for everyone but especially for audiophiles that have very expensive equipment. Whole house protection is ALWAYS more effective than any power strip, conditioner, UPS, regenerator or whatever magic box plugs into your wall outlet. The reason is simple: Whole house protection is connected at the service entrance where power enters your home and where there is the shortest path to ground. Whole house protection is not expensive and it protects EVERYTHING in your home not just the audio and computer system.

The second leg of protection is to have an insurance policy that specifically covers your audio system. NO power or surge protection scheme is foolproof no matter what the marketeers may say. And there are other hazards that may damage your precious audio system. With whole house protection and a good insurance policy you can relax your mind about protecting the system and focus on optimizing audio performance.

Do UPS systems sound bad? You bet they do - terrible. Do the tests for yourself. You spend tens of thousands of dollars and endless hours of tinkering to eek out a couple of percent performance in your audio system and yet a poor power system can completely ruin what could be a incredible system. Trouble is most people don't even know how badly their power system is affecting the system performance. However, I understand your desire to have battery backup for the computer system and a UPS does the least harm (sound wise) with computer equipment plugged into it. If you use one try to connect it to a different power circuit than what your audio system runs on. Definitely don't plug it into a power conditioner.

HYDRAs are not designed for adequate or "good enough" audio performance. They are designed first and foremost to extract the absolute maximum audio performance from your system. The TRITON provides power distribution while minimizing CCI (component to component interference) and maximizing DTCD ( dynamic transient current delivery). The TYPHON was designed to further extend the RFI/EMI capabilities of the TRITON. And last the the DPC-6 was designed specifically for people that use a computer based media system in their audio system. It acts as a firewall to isolate the noisy computer devices and prevent them from polluting the power line that the audio system is connect to. Together the TRITON, THPHON, and DPC-6 represent our reference solution for a state-of-the-art system.

Our power system for our factory reference systems starts with a 200KA isolation transformer mounted on the side of the building at the service entrance. It feeds power to a sub panel located just opposite our listening room. There is a control room which is a separate room from the listening room where all of the equipment is located. The sub panel provides 6 dedicated power circuits. Each of the circuits are equal in length to avoid ground loops. There is a whole house surge protection package installed in the sub panel. We then provide power to the components with a TRITON, DPC-6 and dual TYPHONS. No, we don't use a UPS. We have never had a component failure and we live in an area where the power goes out often.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 PM

Caelin, thanks for the clear and detailed response! I have whole house protection installed as well (that was put in a few years ago so I will have that checked out). I got rid of the UPS and have just the DPC-6 on the computer and external drive and the difference was amazing. To expand on the WOW factor there was an immediate improvement in detail and air in the sound. Thanks for making these fabulous products! I have yet to try a Shunyata product that is not incredibly well built or does not provide an audible difference (even if small).

Last edited by luchocastro; 09-29-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM

I got my DPC-6 today and was able to plug it just now. Seem promising but I am a bit confused on the optimum setup. I don't have any switching PS in my PC music server setup (all linear power supply). Prior to the DPC-6 my computer was plugged into the Triton, which actually also has two Typhons connected into the Triton as well.

Currently I tried the computer into the DPC-6 and have the DPC-6 plugged into it dedicated circuits breaker, but no Triton/Typhon(s) into the signal path. I know Caelin has likely mention this before but cant find his recommendation regarding plugging the DPC-6 into a Triton with 2 Typhon combo. Although I need to let it burn-in for the 5 days recommended, my first impression is that I also miss the impact of the two Typhon on my computer .

Option 1: Leave DPC-6 into dedicated wall circuit

Option 2: plug DPC-6 into Triton (which has two Typhon also plugged into it)

Option 3: leave the DPC-6 into dedicated wall circuit but buy another Typhon to plug it into the same circuit bank of the DPC-6 with computer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Best, Jacques
Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I got my DPC-6 today and was able to plug it just now. Seem promising but I am a bit confused on the optimum setup. I don't have any switching PS in my PC music server setup (all linear power supply). Prior to the DPC-6 my computer was plugged into the Triton, which actually also has two Typhons connected into the Triton as well. Currently I tried the computer into the DPC-6 and have the DPC-6 plugged into it dedicated circuits breaker, but no Triton/Typhon(s) into the signal path. I know Caelin has likely mention this before but cant find his recommendation regarding plugging the DPC-6 into a Triton with 2 Typhon combo. Although I need to let it burn-in for the 5 days recommended, my first impression is that I also miss the impact of the two Typhon on my computer . Option 1: Leave DPC-6 into dedicated wall circuit Option 2: plug DPC-6 into Triton (which has two Typhon also plugged into it) Option 3: leave the DPC-6 into dedicated wall circuit but buy another Typhon to plug it into the same circuit bank of the DPC-6 with computer. Thoughts? Suggestions? Best, Jacques
First and foremost, burn the DPC-6 in for at least 5'days of continuous current draw. Each outlet has its own independent circuitry and each must be burned In. When new it will sound a bit dull, diffuse and flat. After that, then we can make some meaningful comparisons.

You can plug the DPC-6 into the wall outlet or into the TRITON. There are no definitive rules for which is best, just try it and see which you prefer. I prefer it into my TRITON for the same reason you mentioned - the benefit of the TYPHON's. Another way to get the benefit of the TYPHONs is to plug the TYPHON into the same wall duplex that the TRITON is plugged into.

More TYPHON is always better except for the drain to the bank account.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Plugged back the dpc6 into my triton with the two typhons. Will let it burn in but right away it is obvious this will be my prefered config. I was just afraid at first to "cascade" the dpc6 and the triton but it works. Thanks for the guidance.

Will report back after burn in period. Best, jacques
Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 AM

JCR, this is very interesting for me as well.

1. PC with LPSU connected to Triton+2xTyphon
2. PC with LPSU connected to DPC-6
3. PC with LPSU connected to DPC-6 to Triton+2xTyphon
Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
JCR, this is very interesting for me as well.

1. PC with LPSU connected to Triton+2xTyphon
2. PC with LPSU connected to DPC-6
3. PC with LPSU connected to DPC-6 to Triton+2xTyphon
I thought that a PC using a LPSU would not need the DPC-6 since the main purpose of using a LPSU is to reduce sound artifacts. Shouldn't the LPSU be plugged into Triton/Typhon?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 AM

In theory you are right but Caelin also suggested the dpc is good for digital gear such as upsampler and clocks even if they have linear PS. This why this test will proove interesting. I need to let the unit burn in first... What complicate my test in my setup is the fact i have so many dedicated circuit that i can also use a single dedicated circuit to isolate noisy component. Am curious to see if better to use seperate circuit versus dpc.

That said, to burn the unit i plugged it into my video setup and saw a much nicer picture quality from my projector when plugged into the dpc and with my video box also plugged into a seperate bank in the dpc...more to come
Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
In theory you are right but Caelin also suggested the dpc is good for digital gear such as upsampler and clocks even if they have linear PS. This why this test will proove interesting. I need to let the unit burn in first... What complicate my test in my setup is the fact i have so many dedicated circuit that i can also use a single dedicated circuit to isolate noisy component. Am curious to see if better to use seperate circuit versus dpc.

That said, to burn the unit i plugged it into my video setup and saw a much nicer picture quality from my projector when plugged into the dpc and with my video box also plugged into a seperate bank in the dpc...more to come
Wow, I will anxiously be waiting for your test results and final preferences.