AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 11-24-2016, 11:47 PM

Default Roy Gregory compares ARC Ref 10, VTL 7.5 Series III, and CJ GAT Series 2...

Audio Research Reference 10, Conrad-Johnson GAT Series 2, VTL TL-7.5 Series III Reference - The Audio Beat - www.TheAudioBeat.com
Old 11-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Cyril.......Interesting article. I really can't call it a review, more like a dealer visit where you get to play with three different preamplifiers in the same room and system. I sensed from the beginning how the article would end.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-25-2016, 01:27 AM

Thanks for posting this article, Cyril. I own the ARC Ref 10 and its synergy with ARC Ref CD-9 Player and Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps is off the charts great. After reading this article, I can't help but wonder if the Berning Amplifier is that great a match with the Ref 10. I find in my system that the Ref 10 beautifully delivers the subtleties of detail and nuance as well as shades of tonality that the author attributes to the CJ GAT 2. At this level, proper component matching is more important than ever and it appears that with the Berning Amplifier that some of these subtleties may be left on the table.

Ken
Old 11-25-2016, 02:15 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Thanks for posting this article, Cyril. I own the ARC Ref 10 and its synergy with ARC Ref CD-9 Player and Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps is off the charts great. After reading this article, I can't help but wonder if the Berning Amplifier is that great a match with the Ref 10. I find in my system that the Ref 10 beautifully delivers the subtleties of detail and nuance as well as shades of tonality that the author attributes to the CJ GAT 2. At this level, proper component matching is more important than ever and it appears that with the Berning Amplifier that some of these subtleties may be left on the table.

Ken
Hi Ken - The Berning Quadrature Z is an amazing amplifier - as transparent an amp as I have heard and very revealing of what is in the chain before it. I haven't used it with a Ref 10 but it worked fine with the Ref5se.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:41 AM

Hi Tima,

I'm sure the Berning is a wonderful amplifier. I just question how great a match it is with the Ref 10's higher output. Paired with my Vandersteen M7-HPA mono amps, there is tremendous synergy, producing a high level of detail, nuance and delicacy. It appears that some of this is being left on the table with the Berning, which leads me to believe it is less than an ideal match. With the Ref 10 and the M7-HPA, I'm getting micro and macro on an equal level.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 11-25-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:46 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Tima,

I'm sure the Berning is a wonderful amplifier. I just question how great a match it is with the Ref 10's higher output. Paired with my Vandersteen M7-HPA mono amps, there is tremendous synergy, producing a high level of detail, nuance and delicacy. It appears that some of this is being left on the table with the Berning, which leads me to believe it is less than an ideal match. With the Ref 10 and the M7-HPA, I'm getting micro and macro on an equal level.

Best,
Ken
I understand what you're saying. The ARC Ref10 is a fine linestage and as an owner myself I experience many of the qualities you describe.

Are your impressions based on that article or have you used the Berning QuadZ in your system with your Ref 10? Or have you tried the VTL 7.5 or CJ GAT2 in your system? The article's characterization was largely in terms relative to the three models under discussion.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I understand what you're saying. The ARC Ref10 is a fine linestage and as an owner myself I experience many of the qualities you describe.

Are your impressions based on that article or have you used the Berning QuadZ in your system with your Ref 10? Or have you tried the VTL 7.5 or CJ GAT2 in your system? The article's characterization was largely in terms relative to the three models under discussion.
Hi Tima,

My comments, which were confined only to the Ref 10 preamp, are based on the article and my experience listening to Ref 10 coupled with a number of different amps. I have found the sound quality to be variable, based on the synergy of the preamp/amp pairing. I have not heard the Berning in my sytem nor either of the other two preamps. My experience has been that certain amplifiers have amazing synergy with the Ref 10, such as ARC, Vandersteen and Aesthetix. Other amplifiers such as Soulution and Ayre, I have personally found to be less enjoyable when paired with the Ref 10. A lot of it comes down to personal taste too.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 11-25-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:35 AM

It's always personal taste as we know. That said there is always synergy between components. Using Richards amp with his speakers is an absolutely phenomenal experience. I agree with your assessment of the components you've listed having a synergy within that system. Personally I also add the Ayre KXR Twenty. As you said at components within this level it's all about synergy, matching the system and realizing that all are world class. Personally I've heard big differences between the various ARC preamps and the Vandersteen seven's with the Vandersteen amps. I can easily see it being the changing outputs. To me it's the most revealing amp/speaker combo I've heard to date and I've been fortunate to audition many of the esoteric speakers out there.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Hi Ctsooner,

I totally agree about the Ayre KX-R Twenty preamp. Reference level for sure, very organic sounding and great Vandersteen synergy. I love Ayre amps with Vandersteen speakers too, just not the Model 7 MkII so much, as compared to the Vandersteen, Aesthetix and ARC amps.

Best,
Ken
Old 11-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Different beast and I wonder if it has to do with the bass. Personally I've heard the MRX Twenty a ton and love it with the 7 Mk 2 I didn't like the regular MRX nearly as much. personally I only like the Ayre pre amps with their amps That's just me. What Richard has done is give you the best of both worlds with strong, hammering SS high current drive in the bass regions and tube single end magic on top. That's why I love the zero feedback designs with the Quatro on up. You let the bass be taken care of with the built in amp and the. You get that tube like sound from SS with the zero feedback not to mention all the other goodies they build in. Also in VANDERSTEENs amp he has the best power conditioner, isolation device and wire biasing built right into the amp as well as the speaker. He gives you so much engineering within his speakers that folks never see nor know about. Just amazing stuff when it's all out together.