AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 AM

I choose not to spend 4 figures on speaker cable and ICs....I run all Morrow Audio ICs and phono cable. Yes I bought them without hearing them other than reading how wonderful they are.
Fantastic build quality, quiet and perform well above price point. I bought one set then replaced all others. The best value for me is their PH3 Reference Phono Cable....fantasic clarity, wall to wall sound stage and very quiet. The MA interconnects I run are 3 strand wire cables and just bring so much of the music up front and great clarity, they also do not lie when Mike Morrow says it takes upwards of 100 hrs breakin time, its true.

I had BlueJeans cable (Seattle, gotta support the home town) make my Belden 5000 speaker cables, another fantastic value with exceptional build quality again. Totally make my Epos speakers sing.

Left me a lot of money to buy more music.....
Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcher10 View Post
I choose not to spend 4 figures on speaker cable and ICs....I run all Morrow Audio ICs and phono cable. Yes I bought them without hearing them other than reading how wonderful they are.
Fantastic build quality, quiet and perform well above price point. I bought one set then replaced all others. The best value for me is their PH3 Reference Phono Cable....fantasic clarity, wall to wall sound stage and very quiet. The MA interconnects I run are 3 strand wire cables and just bring so much of the music up front and great clarity, they also do not lie when Mike Morrow says it takes upwards of 100 hrs breakin time, its true.

I had BlueJeans cable (Seattle, gotta support the home town) make my Belden 5000 speaker cables, another fantastic value with exceptional build quality again. Totally make my Epos speakers sing.

Left me a lot of money to buy more music.....
I like Paul at clear day cables out of Tucson, Az. Very easy to work with and very honest. I have had Acoustic Zen, Cardas, Audience, Wy-wires. I have sold these off for Clear day double shotguns. These cables are factory direct so you aren't paying the usual mark-ups dealers have on this stuff. They also out perform the other cables I mentioned. Plus the fact he offers 30 day home trial. If you are not confident in you're ears stick with the big manufacturers. If you can make a judgement by how something sounds you can save yourself a couple grand.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
I like Paul at clear day cables out of Tucson, Az. Very easy to work with and very honest. I have had Acoustic Zen, Cardas, Audience, Wy-wires. I have sold these off for Clear day double shotguns. These cables are factory direct so you aren't paying the usual mark-ups dealers have on this stuff. They also out perform the other cables I mentioned. Plus the fact he offers 30 day home trial. If you are not confident in you're ears stick with the big manufacturers. If you can make a judgement by how something sounds you can save yourself a couple grand.
Hey thanks for the tip....Never heard of Clear Day Cables, will check them out for future purchase!

Regards
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcher10 View Post
Hey thanks for the tip....Never heard of Clear Day Cables, will check them out for future purchase!

Regards
I'm on a loaner with Clear Day currently with a set of shotgun speaker cables. I've been trialing them for less than a week and already decided to probably go with a set of either shotgun or double shotguns. I wrote to Paul this weekend and he insisted that he send me (for free again) a set of the double shotguns to compare before I make a decision. They sound fantastic.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 AM

What I like about Morrow Audio cables is the uncanny tonality and just an overall honesty to the sound that high lights nothing in particular but forgets nothing as well, now is it the very small solid core silver coated wire? I'm not sure but I first got the Sp3 biwire speaker cable and noticed after a long 300+hrs of burn in that what I had on my hands was music ,silence, decay and extension. I finally got around to trying the IC last year with the MA2 and then the MA3 XLR (sweet spot for me) and late last year the MA4 XLR, I love em, I do plan on trying some ClearDay's on my mains oneday as Paul's a fantastic guy to deal with, I have my center channel using an 8ft run of his cables.

I'm currently awaiting one of Morrows MAP 2 power cable to see if it excels as well as the speaker cables and ic's, at slience and musicality!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM

KCI cables, John is great to work with. His silkworm + is one of the best ICs I had in my system. He also makes great speaker and power cables.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 AM

I'll throw Mojo Audio into the mix as I've had great experience with them. All of my power cables are by them as well as my digital S/PDIF cable.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM

I got the Morrow Audio MA2 power cable in two weeks ago and had them them put it on the cable cooker for 2 days (= 96 hrs of burn in) and upon placing it on the Marantz 8801 to bring synergy into my new setup, the cable broke up my loom of PS Audio Perfect wave cables ranging from AC12,AC10,AC5 and AC3 which was currently on the 8801. Upon placing the cable there the initial impressions on some some music was mostly positive save an overall perceived reduction in dynamics but an silence that was very much to my liking ( how an unshielded cable pulled this off is dumb founding) While I did like the spacious nature the overall sound was still recessed and a little disjointed, I was prepared to send it back and try Shunyata or Wire world as they where next on my list of cables to try or buy another PS AC10 and call it a day as its sonics are very well balanced for any application. I must say Mikes cables do take a while to fully settled and after two weeks in the setup running around the clock all I can say is oh! my! No longer lacking dynamics , still silent and like all Mikes cables I own that uncanny tonality on instruments is breath taking. I 'm keeping it, and will try the MAp 3 on my Oppo 105 next.

I highly recommend this cable if you love Fidelity!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek View Post
why isnt there more talk on here about guys such as Triode Wire Labs, Morrow, Audio Sensibility etc? Dont you guys think that these offer much better value than the "big" guys?
Unless the big guys are gouging their customers I'm not sure why smaller vendors would be offering better value.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
When your buying an expensive cable sight unseen, it would be nice to know something about what makes the a quality cable. That should be confirmed by your ears.
With your local dealers and options such as The Cable Company's lending library why would you buy high price cables without a in-home audition, or worst case at your dealer with similar gear?