AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM

I think what is happening is that, while the Gold Lions are very quiet, they take on a bit more of the gain than the pre was designed for. That means less gain from the V3-V6 tubes. The result is somewhat less transparency than with the Chinese tubes. I only ran them for about 6-8 hours.

So I put back the originals and will experiment later with the Gold Lions in only one of the V1, V2 positions.

I'm also testing out a NOS Telefunken smooth plate in the V3 position.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Len.......You should allow 40 to 50 hours on the Gold Lion tubes before making any final decision about their performance. That is the typical break-in time for Gold Lion small tubes.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Thank you Dan. I'm a tube newbie and happy for advice. I will have another go at them.

Len
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM

Default Fosgate got bad noise

Hi

I have some problem with my fosgate signature phono.
I got some "parasite" noise from it.

Any ideas what it can be ?
I don't know how to describe it better.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:44 PM

Just to let you know I found out what the problem was.
I recently moved my Sonos connect closer to the fosgate than it was previously, and it didn´t like it ... AT ALL !!!
I move it back a meter away and all parasite noises are gone.
Just got my hands on a copy of Hell freezes over and thanks god the fosgate is not to blame.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Good to hear Flay, as another Fosgate owner I continue to be more than pleased with mine.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:27 AM

Well, well, well. I have flogged my Fosgate Signature. It now has a new and happy owner. I think I should say why I have sold it.

At the time I bought it I had a solid state pre-amp and a solid state power amp. The sound of the tubes in the phono stage was just fabulous. However, I upgraded my pre-amp to a tube based unit from Ayon Audio. It is based on 6H30 tubes which do have a very strong tube flavor. Some will say you can't have too many tubes - phono - pre - power. But for me I like tubes 'somewhere' in the system, not everywhere.

So the reason I sold it, is not due to anything I dislike about it and I would still endorse a Fosgate Signature to anyone.

One of the sad things about the Fosgate in my situation was that due to the local geography of my listening room I could not have it out on display. To my eyes (not to mention ears) it is audio jewelry. I like the look of tubes and the Fossie in particular is quite a head-turner. Even my spouse liked the look of it.