AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Spent last week in the big apple and got to do some listening at Steve's place InLivingStereo.

First off Steve's got a great listening room quite similar in volume to my room in Geneva (albeit better treated than mine). However the real treat is the toys in the room, Lots of Shindo delights (amps galore and fieldcoil speakers) and some exotics (Shindo one of Vitavox based horns). I'm simply not use to be around so much Shindo kit.

The purpose of the session was to get a feel for the EL34 versus the KT88. And whilst this was achieved it was done so on not completely even ground. The amps were tested with a VR pre-amp and a naim cd player (im not a vinyl man so I ignored the Shindo Gerard 301!)
First up was the stereo amp Montrachet EL34 which after half an hour just disappeared from the picture, kept looking for a sonic signature but all I could find was the music. Slightly perplexing when you trying to audition, really had to force my self to relax and listen to the music. This was a very nice sounding amp. Oh and before I forget both amps was voiced through the O96's excellent speakers as we all know.

Next I moved onto the CC 80 mono blocs and this is where the contest gets a bit unfair. The KT88's in mono bloc form had more of a grip of the o96's, more attack but not in a bad or fatiguing way. More width and height in the sound stage, more separation. I was sucked into the performance but was conscious it was maybe an unfair comparison. However the EL34 were not available in mono format (just about everything else was - damn my 6 ohm speakers!!!).

After an hour of listening and torturing myself about when I could get back to NYC and hear the EL34 mono I remembered a point often made on this forum, you can't go wrong either way and I truly loved the sound of the KT88 mono's.

So I bought a pair and hopefully mr Shindo will be shipping to me a European voltage pair in 4 or so weeks.

Listening music: Pink Martini - vocals, wide wide sound stage, great German studio recordings. Thievery Corporation - ambien bass. Tom Waits - mandatory gravel voice check
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Pronan, congrats! Be sure to post some photos of the CC80!

Remind us again the rest of your system. If you don't already have a Shindo pre, get one! Even the entry level Aurieges will synergize with the CC80 in a whole new level.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Pronan, congrats! Be sure to post some photos of the CC80!

Remind us again the rest of your system. If you don't already have a Shindo pre, get one! Even the entry level Aurieges will synergize with the CC80 in a whole new level.
TommyC, thanks for congrats and piccies upon arrival.

The rest of the system:
Giscours preamp,
Zingali speakers (6ohm horns)
Source; MSB Platinum DAC -> Weiss int -> Mac Mini (using a memory player)
Auditorium 23 speaker & interconnects

Shindo should ship in 4 weeks then its up to Swiss customs, could be. Shindo christmas
Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronan
Spent last week in the big apple and got to do some listening at Steve's place InLivingStereo.

First off Steve's got a great listening room quite similar in volume to my room in Geneva (albeit better treated than mine). However the real treat is the toys in the room, Lots of Shindo delights (amps galore and fieldcoil speakers) and some exotics (Shindo one of Vitavox based horns). I'm simply not use to be around so much Shindo kit.

The purpose of the session was to get a feel for the EL34 versus the KT88. And whilst this was achieved it was done so on not completely even ground. The amps were tested with a VR pre-amp and a naim cd player (im not a vinyl man so I ignored the Shindo Gerard 301!)
First up was the stereo amp Montrachet EL34 which after half an hour just disappeared from the picture, kept looking for a sonic signature but all I could find was the music. Slightly perplexing when you trying to audition, really had to force my self to relax and listen to the music. This was a very nice sounding amp. Oh and before I forget both amps was voiced through the O96's excellent speakers as we all know.

Next I moved onto the CC 80 mono blocs and this is where the contest gets a bit unfair. The KT88's in mono bloc form had more of a grip of the o96's, more attack but not in a bad or fatiguing way. More width and height in the sound stage, more separation. I was sucked into the performance but was conscious it was maybe an unfair comparison. However the EL34 were not available in mono format (just about everything else was - damn my 6 ohm speakers!!!).

After an hour of listening and torturing myself about when I could get back to NYC and hear the EL34 mono I remembered a point often made on this forum, you can't go wrong either way and I truly loved the sound of the KT88 mono's.

So I bought a pair and hopefully mr Shindo will be shipping to me a European voltage pair in 4 or so weeks.

Listening music: Pink Martini - vocals, wide wide sound stage, great German studio recordings. Thievery Corporation - ambien bass. Tom Waits - mandatory gravel voice check
Huge Congrats Pronan !
The CC80 is surely a wonderful monoblock. It would have been nice to have them next to the CCQ. The comparison would have been more fair but I'm sure that they are rather equivalent and are just 2 different flavors.
Enjoy them in great health !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Cheers Jerome! Waiting for kit to arrive is the worst part (but I don't need to tell you that!)