AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 AM

Default Classe Amps and B&W speakers.

I visited my dealer today. He's trying to convince me to buy ALL Classe amps with my B&W speakers, stating they will sound better together since they were made my the same company, tested and meant to work with each other as the best amp and speaker combo. Anyone else buying into this story. I have seen B&W use Classe with there speakers. If I remember correctly B&W and Classe along with Rotel are owned by the same company. (I could be wrong) but to say so say Classe will give you the best performance, im not too sure about that. I am very happy with my McIntosh Amps. I guess I would like to A/B them together. Cost wise they are about the same but I wonder how they compete quality wise. I never had the opportunity to test them. Anyone have any experience or opinions?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 AM

This may help to get an idea.

http://www.avguide.com/comparative-r...wer-amplifiers
Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 AM

I see alot of advertisment pages in pro mags and some hi fi mags with pics of Classe and B&W. I know that for 15+ years I used the 804's, 803's and finally the 802's with McIntosh gear. I loved the sound then and still love it now although I no longer own the B&W's. If you do a search, you'll find there lots of audiophiles who agree that B&W/McIntosh are a great match.

Dave
Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Classe' and B&W sound very good together, but so does McIntosh, Pass and Krell. I do not see any reason to swap out your 501's for the Classe unless you are just looking for a change. Now change for change sake can be a good reason.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

I've heard B&W 802D with the Cam 400's, cdp202, and the top of the line classe pre, (not omega). It was VERY NICE. I had my 802D with Mcintosh gear and it was wonderful as well. Never A/B compare in same room but if I had it to do all over again I would give the omega line a shot with B&W. Classe also I heard some time ago was going to be coming out with like a new CAM series and offer some bigger mono blocks. Not sure if that has happened yet.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdraft View Post
I've heard B&W 802D with the Cam 400's, cdp202, and the top of the line classe pre, (not omega). It was VERY NICE. I had my 802D with Mcintosh gear and it was wonderful as well. Never A/B compare in same room but if I had it to do all over again I would give the omega line a shot with B&W. Classe also I heard some time ago was going to be coming out with like a new CAM series and offer some bigger mono blocks. Not sure if that has happened yet.
Classe has some new switching amps out and I think that is what Crytklmass may have heard depending on which local dealer he visited. I do like the looks of the CAM series.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
This line from the article puts it in context, just as some of the comments above do: "In this small grouping, none of the amplifiers sounded even remotely bad". Classé and B&W are an excellent combination, but you'd want to listen long and hard before you replace the McIntosh. That doesn't mean you'd not prefer the Classé, just that the MC501/802D is damned good.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

A Question - Does your dealer sell both Classe and McIntosh, as well as B&W? If he does, he may well be in a position to give sound advice based on experience,expertise and actual comparison.

But, even if he does sell all three brands, he would naturally love for you to buy some new stuff and would be delighted for you to make a change, especially in these recessionary times.

I know from personal experience, that Terry Menacker, who owns Overture in Wilmington, DE., sells and stocks all three brands and has, for many years, been a source of good advice to me. The guy is honest, his integrity is absolute, and you can trust him. He will shoot straight with you whether you buy from him or not. (Of course, he, too, would love for you to buy something.)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 PM

One thing I like about Classe is that they are biased Class A up to about 1/3 power.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
A Question - Does your dealer sell both Classe and McIntosh, as well as B&W? If he does, he may well be in a position to give sound advice based on experience,expertise and actual comparison.

But, even if he does sell all three brands, he would naturally love for you to buy some new stuff and would be delighted for you to make a change, especially in these recessionary times.

I know from personal experience, that Terry Menacker, who owns Overture in Wilmington, DE., sells and stocks all three brands and has, for many years, been a source of good advice to me. The guy is honest, his integrity is absolute, and you can trust him. He will shoot straight with you whether you buy from him or not. (Of course, he, too, would love for you to buy something.)
My dealer here does sell all of them listed but its hard for them to really recommend one of these over the other even if it is there gut feeling IMO because a dealer that carries Mcintosh and B&W/Classe, well these brands probably represent 80% or more of there total sales. I would assume while they may offer a bit of advice it would be not much because you wouldn't want one manufacturer to get word somehow that you seemingly pushed one more than the other. They can however do A/B setup for you in same room and let you decide.